Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: XML Light Build

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    Holy moly!!!!!!!
    Yeah, it's pretty impressive in person. Seems like daytime. Since I always ride with both a bar and helmet light, it would be kinda ridiculous. I'm absolutely sure I wouldn't run this at full power very often.
    Last edited by MtbMacgyver; 12-29-2010 at 10:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'd like to see 3 up regina or lxp compared to the cute..if you get bored :P

mtbr member
    ThatS very impresive so the XML is at full 3 amp ?
    Whats the drive for the xpg pic

Any chance of a shot with the xmls at 1.5amps
    The same as if using a B2Flex

I would do it myself. But no leds yet

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    And my first finished XML based light. I just made modifications to the CNC files for my XPG triple case and cranked a few out. It's pretty amazing to have this kind of light output in a 78 gram light head.

Next I'm going to work on an XML single either based on the Regina or LXP optic. I'd like to come up with a design that'll take either optic. That way I'll have more beam choices for bar and helmet.

-

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    ThatS very impresive so the XML is at full 3 amp ?
    Whats the drive for the xpg pic

Any chance of a shot with the xmls at 1.5amps
    The same as if using a B2Flex

I would do it myself. But no leds yet
    Yes, that beamshot is at a full 3 amps running off an h6flex. Sure, I can grab a beamshot running off an b2flex. The XPG pic is at 1A.
    Last edited by MtbMacgyver; 12-29-2010 at 10:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Wow, that's a beauty, a real work of art. It's also a staggering amount of light from such a neat little head unit.

I can't see much space for the h6flex and switch - is that mounted remotely?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Incredible..... Nice work and thanks for the beam shots.

mtbr member
    ..Yikes!! just love that cute ss beam pattern!
    Thanks for the beamshots and comparisons!
    . .... you know, that test jig would make for a dead simple DIY light!
    smaller profile, couple of end caps, glue the leds straight on the profile
    and a piece of clear acrylic tube round the optic ...
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    MtbMacgyver: What are the rough dimensions of that housing? What current are you going to be running that at?

mtbr member
    I would also be very interested in seeing the build with the LXP-RS as it's my optic of choice for the XP-G. That triple at 3A is damn impressive though...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JezV
    Wow, that's a beauty, a real work of art. It's also a staggering amount of light from such a neat little head unit.

I can't see much space for the h6flex and switch - is that mounted remotely?
    The case has a driver in it behind the LEDs. The metal button on the top of the case presses a button on the driver board. You can look back at this thread if you want to see details of how the driver mounts.

I actually have this setup in two configurations right now. In one configuration the driver is in the light head and the drive current is 2 amps. In the other configuration, the h6flex is in the battery pack and the drive current is 3 amps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rxbandit
    MtbMacgyver: What are the rough dimensions of that housing? What current are you going to be running that at?
    The case diameter is 1.5 inches, 2 inches long, surface area is 24 square inches. See my previous post for details on drive current.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by OverTheHill
    I would also be very interested in seeing the build with the LXP-RS as it's my optic of choice for the XP-G.
    Yeah, the LXP-RS is one of my favorite optics as well. On an XPG, I like it better than the Regina because of the smoothness of the pattern and it's nearly as tight as the Regina. So far I've only tested that optic inside with a ceiling shot. I'll post up the picture when I get that outside for a descent beam shot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbMacgyver

and the all important beam shot. It's obviously wider with the XML vs the XPG, but when you're dealing with 3000 lumens a little wide isn't a bad thing. Look at how much throw it still has. You can see the little trees in the distance better than with any of the other lights.

here's the same optic with XPG R5s from above. I'll put it here so you can see side by side.
    Bad comparison, IMHO, that's like comparing cherries to watermelons.
    30W XM-L vs. 9W XP-G
    With such lumen outputs it's time to use oval optics.
    CNC LED light housing for DIY projects

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zemike
    Bad comparison, IMHO, that's like comparing cherries to watermelons.
    30W XM-L vs. 9W XP-G
    With such lumen outputs it's time to use oval optics.
    Yes, in a lot of ways it's a totally unfair comparison. But, it depends on what you think the limiting factor is for your bike light. Size and weight of the light head, size weight of the battery pack, cost of the light. For me personally, the only limitation I really care about is the weight of the light head. Due to some neck issues, I simply can't ride with much weight on my head. I don't really care that much about any other factors. The 30W XM-L and 9W XPG light heads being compared here are the same size and weight.

With that being said, I seriously doubt I'll end up using a triple XM-L based light for myself. It's simply more light output than I really want. I haven't figured out a way to test this yet, but I suspect the triple XML light is so bright that your eyes actually dilate to compensate. If that's the case, it's going to make life tough for your riding buddies. I'm really just playing around with what's possible because it's fun.

I think the XML is significant because it's going to make it very easy to build reasonably sized light heads that can easily produce more light than anyone really needs. So, it's going to be interesting to see what happens. Will people start to care more about cost, size, weight, or lumens. The technology isn't going to be the limiting factor much longer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbMacgyver
    The case has a driver in it behind the LEDs. The metal button on the top of the case presses a button on the driver board. You can look back at this thread if you want to see details of how the driver mounts.

I actually have this setup in two configurations right now. In one configuration the driver is in the light head and the drive current is 2 amps. In the other configuration, the h6flex is in the battery pack and the drive current is 3 amps.
    Very, very nice. Hadn't appreciated the finess; the pushbutton switch is a lovely detail. Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Wow, I know I am digging up a year old post, but does anyone know where I can find an exact parts list for a build like this? I am an extreme newby but willing to give it a try.

Thanks,
    John

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbMacgyver View Post
    And my first finished XML based light. I just made modifications to the CNC files for my XPG triple case and cranked a few out. It's pretty amazing to have this kind of light output in a 78 gram light head.

Next I'm going to work on an XML single either based on the Regina or LXP optic. I'd like to come up with a design that'll take either optic. That way I'll have more beam choices for bar and helmet.

-
    Great work, all around. Do you sell any of your items? I realize that with cheap china knock-offs it may be tough to compete on price, but there is something to be said about good design and quality craftsmanship. I might be interested...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gfcipriani View Post
    Great work, all around. Do you sell any of your items? I realize that with cheap china knock-offs it may be tough to compete on price, but there is something to be said about good design and quality craftsmanship. I might be interested...
    Thanks, I've really enjoyed the lights. The only part that's kinda sad, is they meet my needs so well that I haven't had much motivation to do something new. Sorry, I don't sell them, this is pretty much stress relief from the day job and I tend to think selling them would make it too much like work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbMacgyver View Post
    Thanks, I've really enjoyed the lights. The only part that's kinda sad, is they meet my needs so well that I haven't had much motivation to do something new. Sorry, I don't sell them, this is pretty much stress relief from the day job and I tend to think selling them would make it too much like work.
    Do you have parts lists/plans to look at? I'm SURE my first attempt will be a learning experience. But I REALLY want to try my hand. Thanks for this thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2