Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

XML Gen 2 looks like its about to happen soon

Not been talked about much the XML-2 but as Cutters are offering some samples with sale purchases this must mean they do exist and may be around soon .

Wonder what improvements they will have made

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb View Post
    Not been talked about much the XML-2 but as Cutters are offering some samples with sale purchases this must mean they do exist and may be around soon .

Wonder what improvements they will have made
    Of course they are soon to come, I just ordered a dozen regular XMLs

mtbr member
    What are the sale items they are attached to?
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    ooh, that's exciting! Good job I'm such a slow lazy ar$e (hint hint Vanc ) with my builds, hopefully these'll be out by the time I need them. I'm hoping that the improvements will be enough that I can run NW XM-L2 with the same output as my current CW XM-L U2 LEDs. That would be so sweet.

are you getting any? sneak preview, so to speak?

mtbr member
    woohoo! Nice find Scar!

How long does it normally take for LEDs to enter the sales channels after announcements like these? Couple of months? I didn't pay much attention for the XP-G2 and I can't remember as far back as the original XM-L.

Edit: Anyone know how the voltage values for the XM-L @ 25C compare to the XM-L2 @ 85C? As far as I can tell, the voltage of an XM-L2 at 2A and 3A are only slightly lower, if at all, compared to the XM-L, but I don't know if that represents a real difference given the different characterisation temperatures. I'm hoping for a lower Vf so that a buck driver with 2 LEDs/ 2S pack will stay in regulation for longer - which'll be more efficient than using a linear driver like the Lflex which becomes less attractive the lower the LED Vf.
    Last edited by mattthemuppet; 12-11-2012 at 08:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    " .... delivering an unprecedented 1198 lumens at 116 lumens-per-watt efficacy at 3 A, 25°C "

Merry Christmas !!!!

mtbr member
    moon on a stick matt?
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

mtbr member
    AWESOME! I have one question - the OG XML was rated "energy star" only when driven at 1.5A or less. Does that mean 1.5A is the most light for the power it uses or ? I didn't see the energy star rating on the XML-2.
    "It looks flexy"

Light freak
    Additionally, since the XM-L2 LED is a successor product to XM-L LEDs, the application of ENERGY STARŪ qualification requires only 3000 hours of XM-L2 LED LM-80 data, instead of the normal 6000 hours. The XM-L2 LED is also UL-recognized and features a level-4 rating.
    whatever that means?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY HEY ITS HENDO View Post
    moon on a stick matt?
    that'd be nice too, wouldn't have to worry about lights then

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    So looking at those specs, they don't look HUGELY different from a regular XM-L to my untrained eye. Do you have any idea what those differences will amount to in the real world?

I'm going to use the loaner XP-G2 tonight for the first time and I'm curious to try it. It looks more "spotty" than I usually like, but the trail we're going to ride is a pretty high speed trail so it will be a good test for a spot beam. I'm curious to see if I still want an XM-L based upgrade for my helmet mount after tonight since I like flood patters, or if the XP-G2 convinces me otherwise.

Sorry about the delay getting my old helmet mount in the mail--I'll get it off tomorrow!

Light freak
    Hey Kristian,
    Curious what you thought of the 2x Cree XP-G2 light head? Looks and sounds like it was a great ride. Here is a link to some pics from the ride for anybody interested to see how they roll in Colorado Springs.

One thing everyone needs to remember is that at the lumen levels that we are at right now, there would have to be a HUGE jump for it to be really noticeable.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    It's really bright! I kept it on low power for the climb since I wanted to have plenty of battery left for the downhill. The low power setting is a little dimmer than I would ordinarily ride though, and I probably didn't need to be that conservative on a 2.5 hour ride. I'll use medium next time.

On the downhill, I fired it up to high and it was really bright--definitely brighter than anything else I've used (including the XM-L bar mount since that is more of a flood pattern). The trail we rode is like a high speed bobsled run and I really appreciated the throw that it offered when I was going full speed. For the more slow speed sections where I was looking a little closer to the front wheel, it seemed to wash out detail a little more than I'm used to. In those slow speed situations, I think having a really bright spot light is a little too much.

I'm going to try putting the XM-L on my head next ride and putting the XP-G2 on my bars to see how I like that combo. My logic is that way I'll have good throw still from the bars in a straight line at speed and I'll have a lot of flood for even light where I'm looking to spot my line. I'll let you know how that works. I'll also take some beam shots as comparisons and post them up.

I appreciate the loaner light--thanks!!!

Light freak

Cree XM-L2's now at Cutter

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    How do you know which bin color to choose? I like the cool white XPG a lot. I think it's 5000 to 6500K or something. Gonna order today...
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Looks like these are all in the >5700k range (2T being the warmest available - if I'm reading it correctly). I'll be building a XM-L2 but will wait for something in the 4500 - 5000k range (hoping for something in the 3C/4S range).

mtbr member
    same here NE - I really like the 3C XM-Ls I have in other lights, so that's what I'm gunning for.

After a bit of mathmatics and brain straining, it looks like I will get my cake and eat it - 2 of the T6 bin XM-L2 (highest with NW emitters) @1.5A should put out around 100lm more than the 2 CW XM-L U2 LEDs I have in my helmet light at the moment, plus with a smidge more runtime. I think, although I'm easily confused when numbers are involved!

mtbr member
    For sale on cutters, although it does say expected in stock after Xmas..
    Cutter Electronics

mtbr member
    If you're in the US, they're also available bare at Digikey and Mouser. Price works out similar after buying your own stars, but the postage is much more palatable. More options with regard to colour temps too, although only tint ranges are specified.

mtbr member
    Just bought a few bare ones from Illumination Supply.
    In US for $2 shipping.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ditto. 1C tint is cooler than some like, but this is going in a flashlight project, where honestly, I like the shock-and-awe "holy crap that's bright" effect more than worrying about color rendering.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    ditto. 1C tint is cooler than some like, but this is going in a flashlight project, where honestly, I like the shock-and-awe "holy crap that's bright" effect more than worrying about color rendering.
    You mind posting a link to the cooler version? I only saw warm tints on cutter but I'm in the US. Thanks!
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    You mind posting a link to the cooler version? I only saw warm tints on cutter but I'm in the US. Thanks!
    https://illuminationsupply.com/cree-...00k-p-279.html

Bare emitters only - so you'd have to flow them onto a MCPCB board of your choosing. MCPCB Stars are only 50 cents though, so $8 per emitter is actually a pretty good deal.

mtbr member
    Triple 35mm boards are on cutters now..
    U2 C bin...

Cutter Electronics

Whats the max lumens at 3amps?

1193?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast