mtbr member

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)

U2 XML wide-angle build using a NiteRider miNewt housing

Inspired by the miNewt upgrade thread by mattthepuppet, I decided my first ever DIY bike light project would be upgrading a NiteRider miNewt light to an XML LED.

During the planning process, I realized that I didn’t want to re-use any of the existing parts for this build (I kept them in case I changed my mind later). I ended up basically building a from-scratch light using only the light housing.

I wanted to spend as little as possible and keep the modifications reversible so I could continue to upgrade/reuse the housing in the future.

Here’s a photo of the miNewt head disassembled.

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-001.jpg

The internal diameter of the housing is 20mm. I bought a few U2-1C XML LEDs mounted on 20mm bases. I’ll use the extras in my next project (already scheduled ).

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  121.2 KB

XML-U2-1C 320LM 7000K LED White Light Emitter with 20mm Base(3.7V) - $6.59
    http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S009993

I purchased a 6x7135 driver (2280mA) to light it.

KD 6x7135 V2 LED Driver 2280mA 17mm - $4.59
    http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S020064

While I was browsing on KD, I decided to also pick up a couple of cheap optics to play around with. This is going to be a wide-angle bar light and these (from what I had read) might work better than the stock reflector.

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-002.jpg

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-003.jpg

20mm SSC Cross section Aspherical lens - $1.46
    http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S004587

20mm SSC LED Optical Lens - $1.41
    http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S005130
    Last edited by marpilli; 11-26-2012 at 09:16 AM.
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

mtbr member
    The optics are quite a bit shorter than the factory reflector (I don’t have the exact measurements with me. If you’d like them, let me know and I’ll measure and respond). This meant that I had to figure out some way to move the XML star forward in the housing; but, I needed to maintain thermal conductivity with the housing.

After much thinking and digging around in my boxes-o-parts I had a plan.

I found a zinc washer that was almost exactly 20mm in diameter.

Drilled out the center to 1/4” to match the heat sink post in the housing (the post extends slightly past the washer when installed). I also transferred the screw hole locations onto the washer and drilled them out so I could mount it securely.

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-005.jpg

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-006.jpg

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-007.jpg

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-008.jpg

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-009.jpg

To thermally bridge the star to the housing heat sink mount, I bought a piece of 1/2" aluminum rod from a big-box home improvement store. I made some measurements (which ended up being incorrect – more on that later) and cut off a piece.

Name:  010.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  55.6 KB

I worked it down to the desired height and then flattened the ends so there would be clearance for the screws.

Name:  P1020768.JPG
Views: 606
Size:  84.1 KB

Name:  P1020769.JPG
Views: 601
Size:  72.2 KB

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020771.jpg
    Last edited by marpilli; 11-26-2012 at 07:18 AM.

mtbr member
    To bond the aluminum puck to the washer, I mixed up a small amount of JB Weld and put a tiny drop between the puck and washer.

I then clamped it up and added some extra on the ends.

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020774.jpg

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020779.jpg

Here is the result after curing for a day.

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020783.jpg

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020784.jpg

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020786.jpg

I put a dab of arctic silver on the bottom of the aluminum puck and mounted it in the housing.

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020787.jpg

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020787m.jpg

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020787n.jpg
    Last edited by marpilli; 11-26-2012 at 07:24 AM.

mtbr member
    I removed the U2 XML star from the test setup and used a grinder to take off a couple of the tabs. This allowed the wiring to route properly.

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020787o.jpg

Test fit.

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020787p.jpg

Soldered on the leads.

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020792.jpg

Added a bit of arctic silver to the top of the puck.

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020793.jpg

I now need to compress the star onto the puck and secure it somehow. To do this I found a small aluminum bushing, placed it over the LED (the inner diameter wasn’t touching the business end of the LED), and gently compressed the assembly in a clamp.

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020794.jpg

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020795.jpg

Here’s a better view of my clamp within a clamp.

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020796.jpg

To hold the star in place, I squirted a bit of acrylic/silicone caulk onto a paper plate and used a toothpick to tuck it in between the star and housing.

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020797.jpg

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020799.jpg

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020800.jpg
    Last edited by marpilli; 11-26-2012 at 07:35 AM.

mtbr member
    The optics didn’t come with a holder and I needed a way to ensure they sat against the LED and didn’t “fall off” the edges. I had some nylon washers and I used a razor blade to cut the center out of one to match the LED base. There are various size in the bag (came out of my parts bin); but, I’m fairly certain the washer I used was the size indicated on the bag.

Name:  P1020801a.JPG
Views: 586
Size:  77.4 KB

Name:  P1020801b.JPG
Views: 581
Size:  123.0 KB

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020802.jpg

Now the optics sit nicely on the assembly and it’s fairly simple to slip on the end of the housing.

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020803.jpg

More on my measurement mishap. Where (I think) I goofed is the new optics have a lip on them that is not flush with the end of the optic. I didn’t take this into account when calculating the height of the puck. So, once fully assembled, the optic was a bit loose in the housing.

I wasn’t real pleased with this. And, I wasn’t about to go making a new puck/washer combo. I dug through my bin again and came up with a slightly larger o-ring (came from the spares of a RockShox SID rebuild kit).

Factory ring on the left, replacement on the right.

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020803b.jpg

Now everything fits nice and snug.

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020803e.jpg

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020803f.jpg

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020803g.jpg

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020803h.jpg
    Last edited by marpilli; 11-26-2012 at 07:53 AM.

mtbr member
    DISCLAMER: The driver/switch housing is too large for my liking. I bought most of the odds & ends at a local electronic parts store. I’ll be re-working this at a later date to make it a bit smaller and more weatherproof. But, you gotta start somewhere. Right?

To drive the LED, I built a battery pack and modified a charger.

DX Charger Modification & Battery Pack Builds

The switch/driver assembly is a small plastic project box and clicky switch. I mounted jacks to fit the plugs on the leads.

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020808.jpg

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020809.jpg

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020811.jpg

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020812.jpg

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020813.jpg

To package it together, I bought a cheap camera case and removed the padding from the outside of the case (so I could activate the switch through the case).

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020815.jpg

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020816.jpg

Mounting the assembly to the bike was done with a long piece of velcro tie down (double sided velcro). I had yellow and red on-hand. I’ll pick up some black to make it look a bit better.

The velcro is looped through the belt loop of the camera bag and the head tube. I wrapped the remainder of the Velcro around the bag (kept it from wiggling around as much).

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020818.jpg

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020819.jpg

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020821.jpg
    Last edited by marpilli; 11-26-2012 at 08:12 AM.

mtbr member
    And, without further ado, here are the end beam shots…

Camera details:
    Canon XTi
    4 second shutter speed
    F-Number F/4
    ISO 100
    Daylight white balance
    Manual focus
    18mm focal length

Using the “diffused” 20mm optic.

Name:  P1020826-001.JPG
Views: 554
Size:  67.2 KB

Control:

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020826-002.jpg

High:

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020826-003.jpg

Medium:

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020826-004.jpg

Using the “wide angle” 20mm optic.

Name:  P1020826-005.JPG
Views: 549
Size:  65.6 KB

Control (about 5 min later than first control shot):

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020826-006.jpg

High:

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020826-007.jpg

Medium:

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-p1020826-008.jpg
    Last edited by marpilli; 11-26-2012 at 08:22 AM.

mtbr member
    I'm sure I've left something out. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to let me know and I'll answer them as soon as possible.

Thanks to all that have previously posted threads. It was your builds/upgrades that inspired me to take this one on. I can only hope someone finds a valuable bit of information in here they can re-use in a future build.
    Last edited by marpilli; 11-26-2012 at 08:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post

Using the “diffused” 20mm optic.
    High:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020826-003.JPG 
Views:	349 
Size:	254.5 KB 
ID:	740064

Using the “wide angle” 20mm optic.
    High:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020826-007.JPG 
Views:	399 
Size:	271.6 KB 
ID:	740068
    Looks like really nice results - I'm favoring the diffused optic - it seems to have a lot of usable spill, and seems to reach down range a little better

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Well, I threw your HIGH power pics in a gif for you.

Looks like the bike moves a little between shots, and the angle of the light might move too?

In the Wide shot it looks like it has more light on the fence across the street, but I wonder if that tis truly "usable" on the trail. Also looks like it is lighting up the top of the tree and all areas out to the side more, rather than focusing your light forward.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Medium power on the Wide optic looks a lot better in those pics though. If youplan to be running on med. a lot, that might be a consideration.

You happen to have a beamshot for the MiNewt before you modded it?

mtbr member
    nice job marpilli, glad to see it all came together in the end! Neat craftsmanship on the head mods, although I'd be tempted to get 2 longer screws and screw the LED/ adapter sandwich down all together.

check out LED-DNA for optics, the 10deg ones I've tried from there are really nice and they offer wider angle ones too.

mtbr member
    adrenalnjunky, thank you. I didn't get a beam shot before tearing down the miNewt. I thought about that later and wished that I had. My next project will be upgrading a Cateye Doubleshot in a similar manner (for use as a helmet light). I'll be sure to get a "before" photo this time.

EDIT: I still have the original miNewt LED assembly, leads, reflector, etc. I might try to put it back together (without the housing - just hold it together with tape or a clamp) and get a beam shot in the same location.

There's little doubt I didn't reposition the bars (and the beam) between optic swaps. It was my first attempt at a beam shot.

The swap only takes a minute and can be done easily at the trailhead. I plan on completing the helmet light (hopefully will go faster than this project did) and then head out on a short trail with the full setup. Complete a lap, swap optics, and go again. Hopefully that will give me an idea of which one will pair well with the helmet light.

mattthemuppet, thank you also. I thought about extending the screws. But, I wasn't sure where I could get something that small (with a fine thread). I may poke around in the local RC shops and see if they have anything that would work. As with most of my projects, I'm quite sure there will be a version 2, 3, etc. Always room for improvement, ya know?
    Last edited by marpilli; 11-26-2012 at 12:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Very nice. Would be fun to see what it looks like with the stock reflector.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    Very nice. Would be fun to see what it looks like with the stock reflector.
    Thanks! I think in matthepuppet's thread he had a before and after beam shot.

If I get a chance, I'll see if I can get one (assuming I don't have to modify the reflector).

Dissolved member
    Well done Marpilli! The switch box looks a little like a home made explosive device. Perhaps the batteries might fit in there, too?

mtbr member
    ^^^

It's just a bit more narrow than the battery holder. After I get done with the helmet light, the first thing I'm going to do is change that box up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Well done Marpilli! The switch box looks a little like a home made explosive device. Perhaps the batteries might fit in there, too?
    needs this kind of switch for that:

mtbr member
    OK, I took a few more beam shots and was able to change the optics without moving the mount (I clamped up spare handlebars in my repair stand).

However, I didn't realize the camera was askew. I just can't get it all together.

It won't win any photography awards. But, it should give you a better idea of the difference between the optics.

Same camera settings as before.

Control (full moon tonight):

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-img_9836.jpg

"Wide angle" optic - high:

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-img_9834.jpg

"Wide angle" optic - medium:

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-img_9835.jpg

"Diffused" optic - high:

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-img_9837.jpg

"Diffused" optic - medium:

XM-L U2 wide-angle light using a NiteRider miNewt housing (first build)-img_9838.jpg

I tried to take a photo of the stock LED beam with stock reflector. Darned thing got too hot before the 10 second shutter timer went off. I was afraid it would be damaged. Mission aborted.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nice build!