Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

XM-L lets discuss

There has been a few posts with plans for this led but no real info has appeared .

Lets discuss this new kid soon to be on the block .

what is your perceived sweet set up for this led .

and what optic would you like to exist

Me I think the Cute spot triple will be a goer from what is available at the moment .

will you want to drive it at the full 3 amps or be happy with less .

can we still make tiny lights from this baby ?

single optic that may work the MCE boom
    will the sheer amount of lumens cover up some optics failings

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I just don't see the tiny lights unless you are OK with a wide beam. The three up 20mm will just be too wide. The die on these is 2mm x 2mm right? That should put them on par with the MC-E or even P7 as far as focusing goes. That makes me think that the Ledil Iris will be about the best helmet light optic. Perhaps something in the 20mm range like the BOOM reflector might be sufficient for a bar light. As far as the 10mm lenses go I somehow doubt they will be useful.

A three up at 20mm might be too much concentrated heat if you run at the max of 3 amps. Perhaps three in a MR16 (50mm) size? I know that's pretty big, but it will give 2700+ lumens.

I don't think that we will really know until some more optics are released. Right now I'm only aware of the few Ledil ones. I'm sure that many will follow.

One positive of the XM-L is the lumens per dollar ratio. If I remember correctly they are going for less than $10 US and that is not all that much more than the XP-G, but with twice the light output. Fewer LEDs also translates into less optics, less machining, etc which should really lower cost.

One thing is for sure. The XM-L will be a MC-E and P7 killer. Less expensive, brighter, and more efficient, what's not to like about that.

I see in another post that KD has XM-L lights and dropins. Anyone know if they are actually shipping those or if they are really a month (or more) away?
    Last edited by vroom9; 12-15-2010 at 01:22 PM.

Just a flesh wound
    Only 3.35 volts at 3,000ma. Only one element. Looks like a promising platform. You could use a 7.2v battery with 4,000mah rating and get 2.5 hours runtime easy.

Those are my simple thoughts. I like my triple XP-G, but the triple optics seem to lose a fair bit of the lumens that are theoretically there. My old double XR-E with the 8 degree spot is my choice if I only have one light.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio
    Only 3.35 volts at 3,000ma. Only one element. Looks like a promising platform. You could use a 7.2v battery with 4,000mah rating and get 2.5 hours runtime easy.

Those are my simple thoughts. I like my triple XP-G, but the triple optics seem to lose a fair bit of the lumens that are theoretically there. My old double XR-E with the 8 degree spot is my choice if I only have one light.
    Even better you could go with single cell or a few cells in parallel with a simple 7135 linear regulator and get good efficiency (90%) and get about 85% of the charge capacity before dimming sets in.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I'm thinking P4 optics may work OK with this thing or BOOM. I need to get my Boom's on order!
    "It looks flexy"

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by biketuna
    Wohoo! Just ordered 2

Hope they arrive before summer....

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by langen
    Wohoo! Just ordered 2

Hope they arrive before summer....
    Might want to order these ones instead as they are a few dollars cheaper and appear to be the same product:

http://kaidomain.com/ProductDetails....roductId=11107

I have two shipped by Kai and currently waiting to be processed by HK Post... if I'm really lucky might have them in hand before the end of the year but I'm sure not counting on it.
    Last edited by kwarwick; 12-26-2010 at 02:38 PM.

mtbr member
    I was idly planning a MC-E bar light for early next year, but was put off by the larger housing I'd have to make to fit a Ledil Iris. If 20mm reflectors work well with the XM-L I might think about a single or double XM-L with a hipflex, using my trusty inch square alloy tubing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet
    I was idly planning a MC-E bar light for early next year, but was put off by the larger housing I'd have to make to fit a Ledil Iris. If 20mm reflectors work well with the XM-L I might think about a single or double XM-L with a hipflex, using my trusty inch square alloy tubing
    What about these MCE lens setups? Anyone tried them?
    MCE Optics

I just had a few sent over since I have that 1000 lumen special bin MCE 20mm star on the way from cutter with my 7-up board.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    As soon as the decent bins are released i'll order 3 and try it with my 3 ledil boom's..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    What about these MCE lens setups? Anyone tried them?
    MCE Optics
    Troutie spent a lot of time trying different MC-E optics and I'm pretty sure he's tried those (long time since I read the thread though). Would be worth checking here anyway, though the general message I got was that MC-E = 35mm reflector

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldigger
    As soon as the decent bins are released i'll order 3 and try it with my 3 ledil boom's..
    that'd be neat to see, pretty much a drop in for you You're using Boom SS's right? Let us know how you get on!

mtbr member
    Troutie spent a lot of time trying different MC-E optics and I'm pretty sure he's tried those (long time since I read the thread though). Would be worth checking here anyway, though the general message I got was that MC-E = 35mm reflector
    Actually, I meant using the MC-E optics on the XML. Both have a bigger dome, with the XML being a little smaller (more throw, less flood curing the wide problem?) and not having the 4 seperate emitters and creating the 4-leaf clover effect. It could be perfecto. Now I wish I had an XML star ordered up
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member

I did indeed and pretty much was disilusioned with the beggers then the XPE was released so pretty much gave up on the MCE .

so have a fairly good collection of MCE optics to have a play with when the XMLs hit the door mat .

I also wonder what the Regina will be like will need a small mod to the base but gut feeling is it may be an OK one . as far as small goes .

I have not liked any of the 16 mm ledils for the XPGs so dont hold out much hope there .
    and am looking forward to trying the Cute triple I am hoping for good things there .

and also have a few asphericals to try out too

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Actually, I meant using the MC-E optics on the XML. Both have a bigger dome, with the XML being a little smaller (more throw, less flood curing the wide problem?) and not having the 4 seperate emitters and creating the 4-leaf clover effect. It could be perfecto. Now I wish I had an XML star ordered up
    oops, sorry, misunderstood your post

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Troutie, take a look to the german forums...i think there are the experts ;-)

Zur SST90 bei 3,2A : Na, ja. Wenn man mal die Werte so anschaut würde ich auf etwa 800 lm tippen. Da ist eine XM-L deutlich überlegen weil viel, viel billiger!

SST @ 3.2 A 800 Lumen....XML better,because cheaper !

http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthr...47#post7839947

www.hahntronix.com
    Hmmm ... just noticed digikey has T5 bin XMLs in stock (http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...0000T5050CT-ND), but no thermal boards.

Anybody have a source of thermal boards closer than Oz. I like Cutters, but it always takes 2 weeks to get an order from Oz to the former Colonies.

If I get my hands on an XML I want to light it up

Not much fun having parts you can't power up

Oh well, guess I'll get in the queue at Cutters.

Mark
    Nimium est melior!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    T5 in stock on 20mm star and 16mm round, T6 will be in stock by Tues next week, same PCB
    Cheers
    WeLight

Cutter Electronics Pty Ltd www.cutter.com.au

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by WeLight
    T5 in stock on 20mm star and 16mm round, T6 will be in stock by Tues next week, same PCB
    What tint is the T6? 1A, 1B......?

mtbr member
    How about a limited 1 time free shipping on XML stars and 20mm round (stars?) for mtbr people that have been a part of this thread so far? If you can do it for $100 orders, you could do it for this thread
    "It looks flexy"

Old-newbie
    The mind reels at the possibilities!

Troutie, since you asked, I would like a 2 or 3 LED floodmonster for the bar. I am curious how the pattern would look without any optics at all. Well, maybe a 2D top reflector to fold the upper third of the emissions downward for better efficiency.

More importantly, I want a 2 LED beamer for the helmet. This one needs good optics, maybe one very narrow and one medium narrow. User retrofitable optics would be a huge plus. I would be inclined to run it at half power most of the time to gain the efficiency, with a full power turbo mode fro those times when I need to see what owns those large eyes staring at me from across the ravine. That reminds me, I also need enough output on turbo to temporarily blind a mountain lion.

gerG
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeLight

Oh well thats my christmas playtime fubared unless they get shipped by rocket powered carrier pidgeon .
    I will just have to watch you lot closer to OZ to see first impressions.

G3rG

I dont think there will be any problems getting the flood monster .
    the 2 led beamer may be a while for the optic makers to get to grips with .specially if you want small too .

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    Oh well thats my christmas playtime fubared unless they get shipped by rocket powered carrier pidgeon .
    I will just have to watch you lot closer to OZ to see first impressions.

G3rG

I dont think there will be any problems getting the flood monster .
    the 2 led beamer may be a while for the optic makers to get to grips with .specially if you want small too .

Hi Chris
    We hope to ship backorders before we close, I cant speak for Santa's sleigh though, he's well booked
    Cheers
    WeLight

Cutter Electronics Pty Ltd www.cutter.com.au

mtbr member
    Cheers Mark .

have you tried any stock optics at your end any pointers

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast