Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    trail waggler

Wow, this is IT!!

Etrex with high sensitive receiver!!

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=8707
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

trail rat
    You should come around more often. We have been posting and talking about that for a couple months or more.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Wandering not Lost
    so when will the etrex vista hcx be avaliable or is it?

trail rat
    Officially? "This fall", on the GroundSpeak Forums, it was stated as July.

Garmin has a history of delaying releases, but that is a good thing, unless you are horrifically impatient and love buggy new gadgets.

From my experience, they will hit the market around the holidaze (sic), but it would be nice if they prove me wrong, huh?
    CCCMB web - Facebook

Wandering not Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    Officially? "This fall", on the GroundSpeak Forums, it was stated as July.

Garmin has a history of delaying releases, but that is a good thing, unless you are horrifically impatient and love buggy new gadgets.

From my experience, they will hit the market around the holidaze (sic), but it would be nice if they prove me wrong, huh?

Sooo will it be worth the wait, or will another model in the etrex line suffice. or should I look at a higher model?

trail rat
    I would get something with a high sensitivity receiver. That means the Edge 305, 60CSx, 76CSx, or wait for the new Etrex line. Even on the relatively treeless central coast of California, I find I'm on the north side of a steep hillside where the satellite view to the south is marginal. Add tree cover, and it's worse: I will never have a GPS without the high sensitivity receiver.

I have an Edge 305 for fitness (HRM makes my cardiologist happy and he lets me keep riding) and a 60CSx for rides that require finding my way in unknown territory; both on the bike and in the truck getting to rides or whatever. I like both, but the 305 gets 90% of the use on the bike now.

The Etrex is smaller for the bike but is still a mapping GPS for navigation, but I feel too small for use in a motor vehicle. If you want to use it for the vehicle and bike, then the 60CSx (or 76CSX, floats for water sports use) so you have the best of both worlds; a little bigger on the bike handlebars, but good in a vehicle on the highway. If you have eagle eyes, then the Etrex might work for you in the car, but not for me.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BThor
    Sooo will it be worth the wait, or will another model in the etrex line suffice. or should I look at a higher model?
    It depends upon what you want to use it for. I have a Vista Cx and really like it. If you want a GPS for biking / hiking / backcountry use, one of the models in the eTrex line is more than capable. If you want a GPS receiver primarily for car navigation, some other receiver would probably be better. The Vista can still be used in your car, it's just that other models are better suited for that specific application. Garmin has other receivers intended for outdoors use, but, last time I checked, all of these receivers are physically larger.

The HC, with its extra sensitivity sounds cool, but I'd instead opt for the HCx. The difference is that the HC has 24MB of internal memory whereas the HCx has a microSD memory card slot. That means you can install significantly more memory in the device and hold a lot more map data. I also have an older (non color) eTrex Vista with 24MB of memory and have found this capacity to be rather limiting. (It was good in its day though.)

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The Etrex is smaller for the bike but is still a mapping GPS for navigation, but I feel too small for use in a motor vehicle. If you want to use it for the vehicle and bike, then the 60CSx (or 76CSX, floats for water sports use) so you have the best of both worlds; a little bigger on the bike handlebars, but good in a vehicle on the highway. If you have eagle eyes, then the Etrex might work for you in the car, but not for me.
    I do agree that the eTrex map is hard to read in a car (especially when driving), but it works well (for me anyway) if you have it calculate a route and then follow the turn-by-turn directions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Is this for real?

Hey guys check this out
    http://cgi.ebay.com/GARMIN-ETREX-VIS...QQcmdZViewItem

I've just spotted this Vista HCX on sale in ebay. Strangely enough, nobody else seems to be selling it but this seller has 11 in stock?? And the price isn't much different from the Vista Cx. I'm smelling a rat, what do you guys think?

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinier
    Hey guys check this out
    http://cgi.ebay.com/GARMIN-ETREX-VIS...QQcmdZViewItem

I've just spotted this Vista HCX on sale in ebay. Strangely enough, nobody else seems to be selling it but this seller has 11 in stock?? And the price isn't much different from the Vista Cx. I'm smelling a rat, what do you guys think?

good question, he has sold a bunch already... anyone got one?

Wandering not Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    good question, he has sold a bunch already... anyone got one?

so what do you guys think...is he on the up and up?

fuggansonofahowa
    so what do you guys think...is he on the up and up?

Must be, he's got an Ebay "power seller" rating @ 100%....here's three online retailers that have them in-stock right now:

Yahoo Shopping - eTrex

Now somebody go and buy one and report here on how good they are.....

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawseman
    Must be, he's got an Ebay "power seller" rating @ 100%....here's three online retailers that have them in-stock right now:

Yahoo Shopping - eTrex

Now somebody go and buy one and report here on how good they are.....

"This item is currently not available."
    Lots of places are listing them, few- if any- actually have them.
    MSRP is the same as Vista Cx because no sd card is included.

trail rat
    I called Garmin on the first of the month, and they told me there was no verified release date. I emailed the seller on E-bay and asked how he had them when Garmin stated they were not available and if they might be prototypes or test units. HIs reply:
    Response from kandrsolutions
    -------------------------------------------------------
    kandrsolutions (1202)
    Positive feedback: 100%
    Registered on: www.ebay.com

Item: GARMIN ETREX VISTA HCX GPS RECEIVER BRAND NEW!! (130132976115)
    This message was sent while the listing was active.
    kandrsolutions is the seller.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Tim,
    I don't know why Garmin would tell you that but I do have them and they are not prototypes.
    Regards,
    Kurt
    As stated, he is a power seller with a 100% rating. I'm just skeptical, and I know for a fact that Garmin will not warranty most units purchased from E-bay (a friend got burned), even though he states he is a Garmin authorized dealer.

I do not plan to buy one of these, I'm happy with my 60CSx and Edge 305.

GeoMan, if you are reading this, is the Vista HCX available to you yet?
    CCCMB web - Facebook

Wandering not Lost
    I called Garmin on the first of the month, and they told me there was no verified release date. I emailed the seller on E-bay and asked how he had them when Garmin stated they were not available and if they might be prototypes or test units. HIs reply:

As stated, he is a power seller with a 100% rating. I'm just skeptical, and I know for a fact that Garmin will not warranty most units purchased from E-bay (a friend got burned), even though he states he is a Garmin authorized dealer.

I do not plan to buy one of these, I'm happy with my 60CSx and Edge 305.

GeoMan, if you are reading this, is the Vista HCX available to you yet?
    ok...this is new to me. Garmin will not warranty an item bought off ebay?

trail rat
    ok...this is new to me. Garmin will not warranty an item bought off ebay?
    https://www8.garmin.com/support/faqs/faq.jsp?faq=607
    Q. Does Garmin have any authorized dealers on eBay or any other online auction site?
    A. Garmin does not have any authorized dealers that sell new products directly on online auction sites. Any purchases made through online auction sites are on a "buyer beware" basis. A copy of the original sales receipt is required as the proof of purchase for warranty repairs. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification and Garmin will not replace any missing components from any package purchased through an online auction.

There is always the possibility that products purchased through eBay or other online auction sites could be stolen merchandise. You assume this risk when you buy through these auction sites. If you buy a Garmin product through an online auction site and later send it to Garmin for service, if the product is determined by Garmin to be stolen merchandise upon receipt at Garmin's facility (through a serial number match), Garmin reserves the right to return the product to its rightful owner or send it to the investigating law enforcement authorities.
    You need a valid "authorized dealer" receipt.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

Wandering not Lost

ok...so can you guide me to a valid online dealer?

thanks in advance

Wandering not Lost
    Bass pro lists them for 299 and are an online authorized dealer per garmin.

trail rat
    You have to ask? You must not be browsing this forum much.

Our resident MTBR member, rider, da man (ta da) Geo.Man
    http://www.geomangear.com/

I've used others, but have had some flaky service, and will buy from GeoMan as my first choice always. Bass Pro should be fine if you choose that route.

Most online dealers are selling to the hunting, fishing, geocaching, users (not that there is anything wrong with that), but when they told me to just rubber band my 60CSx to my bike ("on a bike, why would you do that, you can't get far enough from home to get lost") I found another dealer when searching for mounts.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

"Mr. Britannica"

If the seller will give you a store receipt you ought to be ok... I assume the same policy is in effect for rebates, and Garmin has indeed processed rebates for stuff bought through ebay. Worked for me with a Forerunner.

btw, a bit more digging shows lots of places are advertising them, from $220 on up, most don't have it in stock

GeoMan
    You have to ask? You must not be browsing this forum much.

Our resident MTBR member, rider, da man (ta da) Geo.Man
    http://www.geomangear.com/

I've used others, but have had some flaky service, and will buy from GeoMan as my first choice always. Bass Pro should be fine if you choose that route.

Most online dealers are selling to the hunting, fishing, geocaching, users (not that there is anything wrong with that), but when they told me to just rubber band my 60CSx to my bike ("on a bike, why would you do that, you can't get far enough from home to get lost") I found another dealer when searching for mounts.
    Thanks for the support - as always - slocaus (and others, too). It is much appreciated!

Garmin is selling them in their retail store in Chicago right now at list price but few, IF ANY, dealers have them... I called the store to verify. Yes, they are there.

I checked this morning with all the major warehouses including one that is among the top five Garmin warehouses in the US. They are definitely "heavy hitters" with Garmin and their information is always reliable.

Garmin has advised this warehouse that their "ship date" on the HCx series is the 18th of July with delivery the week of July 23. Garmin is notorious for missing delivery dates and they said it could be later and advised me not to hold my breath (the other warehouses I talked to said the same thing. Late July delivery at best).

They said eBay sales of the HCx series right now are almost assuredly "pre-sales" regardless of what the eBay seller is telling folks.

That's the best information I have at the moment. If anyone decides to buy one on eBay, let us know your experience here on the forum. We're tracking Garmin's inventory and GeoMan will start selling them aggressively as soon as they are available.

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by GEOMAN; 07-12-2007 at 08:45 PM.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan

Slocaus is correct.

We've obviously had a few warranty repairs after selling 3,300+ Edge 305 bundles. Make sure you get a valid receipt (not eBay's or PayPal's) from whomever you buy from.

Garmin is terrific about their warranties and lets the receipt issue "slide" sometimes especially if it is a new model less than a year old. Makes sense since it's obvious the unit is in warranty if it has been available for less than a year donchathink?

Talk to you soon,
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

fuggansonofahowa
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    "This item is currently not available."
    Lots of places are listing them, few- if any- actually have them.
    MSRP is the same as Vista Cx because no sd card is included.
    Odd....they said "IN STOCK" when I posted....now it's "PRE-ORDER". Those slimey bastids.

GeoMan
    Yep, just as we thought...

Thanks for the update Hawseman.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Grizzly
    Already some reviews popping up on the groundspeak forums. How are these guys getting the units?

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...owtopic=168173
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast