mtbr member
    Feb 2005

would you buy 2nd hand HID?

Lots of rave reviews / comments about the Light & Motion Arc on here.

I've seen one for half retail price, 1 year old and bloke reckons about 80hrs use. Now i know he could be telling me anything, but just wondered if 2nd hand hids should be avoided?

Just ride
    HID lights generally have a pretty long lifetime. and the arc is one hell of a light, and at half the price i'd say go for it!
    You know what sucks worse than training? Losing.
    You know what sucks worse than losing? Nothing.

Ride on

Singletrack Daydreamer
    Personally, I'd shy away from it unless you can see it in use first. While I think the L&Ms are great units in general (probably second only to Lupines), I've had my bulbs get cloudy over time (probably about 80 hours of use, but perhaps more) and lose brightness. Granted, I was using a "cheap" TrailTech HID, but it's my understanding that most HIDs use the same Solararc lamp. Also, be aware that a new HID bulb is generally about $90.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I would be more concerned about how many charges the battery has had and with what charger. is it a Lion or nimh? the lion is good for about 300 charges, the nimh at least double that. if it was the smart charger and not the trickle charger. if it was the trickle charger prob. less

some people ride for an hour and keep the battery on the charger in between, others run it down and charge it every 2-3 hrs., and then theres summer. Lion like to be stored @1/2 - 3/4 charge, nimh likes full charge for storage, none should be left on the charger after fully charged for any length of time

mini clyde
    What's the worst thing that could happen? Have to buy a bulb or battery? You still might come out ahead (a little). Both? that'd be a downer. Maybe the new one is worth the extra $$$ just in peace of mind -- it sucks to be stuck out in the dark if your lights lay down on you.

The smart charger would make it a better deal 'cause it's easier to live with, but won't guarantee the battery has been treated well -- it'll still fry a battery if left on long enough (like all summer).

So it's a bit of a gamble, but I'd be more willing to take it on an L&M than some of the competition.

Disclosure: I have L&M Arc/NiMH, which I bought used. So far, knock wood, it's been great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    When did the smart charger get introduced?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The lamp is the same on all HID lights for sure, but the ARC uses only the lamp (and WA ballast), not the entire Solarc bulb. It makes a difference not only in the performance (better beam), but you´re also unlikely to face a foggy bulb as there´s no such self-contained Solarc "lamp" on the ARC.

I guess, if you can ask for just one test ride or a time with it to test, it should be enough to assert its condition: one charging cycle, one full run. It should take ~3hrs to charge fully (from completely drained) and about 4-5hrs to discharge in use (alternating between high and low). 80hrs of use (considering it´s for real) isn´t much for a Li-ion battery and HID light, and the L&Ms are tough built.

Also, if the battery and head unit are without any scratches from drops and crashes, I´d say it should be OK. If you only have to change a lamp and you´re in US, it might be fine and may be a deal for that price.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eldiablo
    When did the smart charger get introduced?
    I met mine 3 years ago

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    you two still getting along ok then, hope she doesnt get jealous if you ever start looking at new models

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A new NiMH ARC can be had for as low as $300ish here in the US. I'm not sure how much you can buy your used one for but consider the cost of a new bulb as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Flyer can you give me a link to places where you've seen them cheap?

Thanks

Bodhisattva
    Flyer can you give me a link to places where you've seen them cheap?

Thanks
    Mountain High Cyclery
    sales@mtnhighcyclery.com

OR

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just one left in stock there so you better hurry up and email him if you want it.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    you two still getting along ok then, hope she doesnt get jealous if you ever start looking at new models
    yeah, shes easy, lets everyone plug into her, but I still love her, I mean it