mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Working on a Xenon light for my bike...need battery supplier suggestions...

Well, with the change in daylight savings right around the corner i've decided I need to put together a light since I usually ride early in the morning. Piecing together a Xenon light using a cut down aluminum D-cell flashlight as a housing and the bulb and electronics (ballast, etc) from an aftermarket Xenon retrofit kit (cannibalized from my car). I need to find a suitable battery and battery supplier. Looking for (or to put together) a 14.4v NiMh battery with at least 5Ah (preferably more). My Xenons draw just under 6A at ignition and about 3.4A at operating temperature and I need something that can handle that draw rate. Anyone have any suggestions? What battery suppliers do you guy like to use? I'll be sure to post pics as it comes together...

Alvin Caragay
    Hermosa Beach, CA

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I would suggest to use a large capacitor with the battery pack of your choice to handle the peak current at ignition. Personally I would forget NiMh and go for Li-ion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Uhh...weird. Somehow my computer double-posted but hours later. WTF? Can one of the mods please delete this thread. I tried editing, but it wouldn't let me delete...