mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Working on a Xenon light for my bike...need battery supplier suggestions...

Well, with the change in daylight savings right around the corner i've decided I need to put together a light since I usually ride early in the morning. Piecing together a Xenon light using a cut down aluminum D-cell flashlight as a housing and the bulb and electronics (ballast, etc) from an aftermarket Xenon retrofit kit (cannibalized from my car). I need to find a suitable battery and battery supplier. Looking for (or to put together) a 14.4v NiMh battery with at least 5Ah (preferably more). My Xenons draw just under 6A at ignition and about 3.4A at operating temperature and I need something that can handle that draw rate. Anyone have any suggestions? What battery suppliers do you guy like to use? I'll be sure to post pics as it comes together...

Alvin Caragay
    Hermosa Beach, CA

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Look into Batteryspace and All-battery .
    Most lithium ions won't give the 6 amp draw. Think about lithium polymer or NiMH.
    Both those companies are in CA to my knowledge.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Is All-Battery any better than Battery Space? I've had reliabilty issues with Battery Space so I'm hesitant to use them again. But in all fairness I also know people who have had good luck with them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the replies. Was looking at a NiMh because of the amperage and to keep tge cost down. I looked at battery space anw was wondering how the quality of their products is? I'll check out all-battery as well. Thanks!

Moto367...what kinda issues you have with Battery Space stuff?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The battery will not be cheap or light weight. The easiest way to get what you are looking for would be to use four of the 7.2 volt RC car packs. I would consider going with some kind of Lithium battery for the weight aspect. You will need three lithium in series to get the 11.1 volts that you need to run the ballast and then several of those in parallel to have enough capacity. Two of the six cell holders wired 3s2p and the six cell packs in parallel will give about 10 Amp hours and will weigh a lot less than the NiMh alternative of comparable power. If you go with DX cells it might even be cheaper. Just be sure to get a few extra in case you get a bad cell or two

mtbr member
    www.hobbyking.com, cheapest li-po i found. for instance, 4 cell X 5A goes for 40$ + shipping (about 10$ I think).

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by atchipmunk
    Thanks for the replies. Was looking at a NiMh because of the amperage and to keep tge cost down. I looked at battery space anw was wondering how the quality of their products is? I'll check out all-battery as well. Thanks!

Moto367...what kinda issues you have with Battery Space stuff?
    The issue I had was the first battery I got would not take a charge. I sent it back and they checked it out and said it was ok. Got it back and it still would not hold a charge. I sent it back again this time with the charger. They said it was fine and sent it back. But it was a different battery pack; a new one. Fine with me as long as it worked. Well, it worked for a while and then it started not holding a charge also. They wouldn't warranty this one because they base the warranty period off of the original purchase date. I'm bummed about it but I'll try elsewhere. I did notice too that All-Battery was cheaper than Battery Space. I might try them next unless more suggestions come up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackDawn
    www.hobbyking.com, cheapest li-po i found. for instance, 4 cell X 5A goes for 40$ + shipping (about 10$ I think).
    Thank for that link. They have some low prices.

I'm still not sure if a four series lipo is better than a three series for running an automotive type HID ballast. A four series lipo will be 16.8 volts fresh off the charger. If it will work then four series is better as the currents will be lower.

Even thought the price looks attractive, lithium polymer batteries need more protection than the 18650 cells. The 18650 come in a metal can that protects them. The lipo's do not. Physical damage can cause them to fail catastrophically. They need a protective shell of some kind.
    Last edited by vroom9; 10-31-2009 at 10:46 AM.

mtbr member
    this is the diy forum isn't it? :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Excuse the ignorance, but don't the batteries for RC cars, etc... discharge faster not making them good for bike lights? I don't know that's why I ask.