Thread: Wiring Help

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Wiring Help

I have a 6up xpg light I'm playing with and thought about tossing 2 xpg in favor of 2 xml. Trying to figure out a way to actually get a decent amount of current to the xml but I'm not seeing it. Currently, it's wired up in series/parallel with 3 strings of 2xpg and 3.6A current setting giving 1.2A each string. Can anyone see a wiring option to give maybe 2+ amps to the xml but still keep the xpg in a string of 2 and 1.4a or lower?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Driver type and battery voltage would help to figure this out. An easy way but does not keep your 2S XPGs would be 2P strings of 1 XML in series with 2P XPGs. This would have a lower Vf than your current setup. If you are using an h6flex it would be fine.

If you can set your driver to 2.8A the you could do 1 string of 2S XMLs in series with 2P strings of 2S XPGs. With a buck driver you would need at least a 14.8V battery.
    Last edited by Vancbiker; 04-16-2011 at 10:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Driver is indeed a h6flex and it's going on a motorcycle so 12v battery when off and roughly 13.5-14v when on.

I'm having trouble visualizing the first setup you mentioned.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Here is an attempt to illustrate the two options I came up with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wiring Help-leds.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    This match your first drawing?

help with the zip please
    Kan thats what I just did with this build. I only did one half, single xml and double xpg and all looks good so far, although very early days yet as it hasn't hit the trails.

That is going to be an incredible amount of light at full tilt, what optics are you using to focus the light?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'll be using regina for all of them. I wanted to get a little more spill off to the sides without changing the reflectors since the housing was designed around them. I think the 2 xml should give me what I'm looking for.

I completely forgot you did that and now that I see the thread again I should have just referenced that.

help with the zip please
    Ah, I didn't do a sketch that makes it a lot easier to visualise / understand.

Are you going to put a hood on it or is this for off road use?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3
    This match your first drawing?
    Yes, electrically the same. Some say that parallel LEDs can have current balance problems. I have done a few parallel MCEs and never had a problem. Maybe just lucky, but I am not worried.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26
    Are you going to put a hood on it or is this for off road use?
    Off road only with this design. It's good as it is but I just feel a little wider spill would help on some of the trails.

Quote Originally Posted by vancbiker
    Some say that parallel LEDs can have current balance problems. I have done a few parallel MCEs and never had a problem. Maybe just lucky, but I am not worried.
    I'm going to take your stance as well. If I'm wrong and I blow some up then lesson learned but they aren't that expensive.