mtbr member

Winter project with awesome possibilities

Well this is my latest project. Can you guess what is is yet?!

It's taken me about 5 months from deciding to make one to starting the calibration phase. I had to learn to read, understand and edit code which was the hardest. Other than that its pretty simple to build as its all open source.

It can print a whole array of things. Firstly I'll be using it to make some dosh so it can pay for itself by printing parts for other printers. I receive the files by email and push print.

Other ideas are obviously for bike lights. Bar mounts, helmet mounts, housings with more organic shaping, remote switch housings, battery housings and mounts. Any other ideas? Once printed the plastic, ABS, can be sanded or filed too. It's very accurate to start with though.

Loads of colours are available, including gitd!

Now to fit some LEDs to it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter project with awesome possibilities-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    DIY 3d printing! I have heard of these in the commercial product sense but never knew they were being done in the DIY world. That is way cool! Looks like it is using filler rod for plastic welding.

mtbr member
    It uses an ABS filament specially designed for 3D printing. The volume of filament into the hot nozzle is critical, so the quality of the filament is paramount.
    This will be great to prototype a housing before any metal is cut.

mtbr member
    that is completely totally fricking awesome! this is top of my "when I have a spare $1000 that the wife won't notice me spending" list of things to buy. Can't wait to see what comes out of it!

mtbr member
    sweet.

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Fantastic piesoup. I was just about to purchase a Makerbot 3d printer but the diy road looks far more rewarding, plus I have a heap of steppers and controllers that currently have no home

I look forward to your first printout.

mtbr member
    Brad, defo go with the DIY option! It was fun building it and you get to know it better before you start printing. Goggle Reprap Wiki, everything is there.

Matt, you can buy the bits as you need them, guaranteed to slip below the Dept of Finance, I know! You start off by building the mdf frame, then align the rods, add the steppers then add the electronics.

I'll be more than happy to help with your build as there are some points tha need addressing on Reprap.

mtbr member
    oooh, wheels are turning, so to speak. I still have a lot of other things to do first. Any idea when sintered metal 3D printing is going to come down to this kind of cost? That's when things will get really interesting!

mtbr member
    Funny you should say that...
    Charge Bikes x EADS: 3D Printing Titanium Parts for a Bicycle Frame - Core77

I've been reading on the blogs, something like this, if the laser was available and not classed as a weapon (!) would cost upwards of $10k!!

Maybe a project for next year!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Diy redefined.... Strong work sir !!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    and the arms race continues.

nicely done.

mtbr member
    Nicely done!

Printed plastic parts can be used to create silicone molds which are usefull for creating duplicate cast plastic parts and also wax parts for the lost wax metal casting process.

help with the zip please
    damn piesoup that is impressive, and I thought that blokes building their own cnc machines was good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas View Post
    and the arms race continues.
    :
    well, my next helmet light is going to be fusion powered, so there

as for that direct metal laser sintering, that is just amazing. As light as alloy, as strong as steel. As our friend Keith said; "cheap, strong, light; pick two"

mtbr member
    Thanks for the comments!

Pulling my hair out trying to calibrate it. There are so many variables, temp of nozzle, temp of bed, acceleration, speed, extrusion rate, retraction amount and speed, layer height. Arrghh!

Once it's set up, the printed parts are very strong. Perfect for mounts etc. looking forward to some glow in the dark parts! Also, you can print the negative so no need to make a silicone mould.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    do you happen to have a final picture ?

mtbr member
    The second to last pic is it in working form. I have made an enclosure for it, it battles to keep the bed warm at the mo. Its about 5C in my garage most of the time.
    I'm still fretting with the settings, every change affects every other parameter so it's getting a balance that's hard.
    I've printed a few iPhone cases so far and am happy with the results!

mtbr member
    I can think of loads things I would want to make on one of those. Great looking project
    Might have to see if I can persuade the boss to buy one....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deesta View Post
    I can think of loads things I would want to make on one of those. Great looking project
    Might have to see if I can persuade the boss to buy one....
    Tell me about it! I can't wait to start making light parts, bike parts and just random stuff.
    I'll also be printing parts for other printers for my Uncle's 3D printer company. In a couple of months the printer would have paid for itself.