Thread: wilma or betty?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

wilma or betty?

I am about to purchase some new lights to replace my old 10 watt halogens and have been looking into what lupine has to offer. The light will be used alone and helmet mounted. i was wondering in you guys opinion is it worth spending the extra on the betty over the wilma? Do you really get that much more for your money? I usually ride fast singletrack with some technical sections.

Spanish biker
    Hi, If you can permit the Betty, buy it.

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Either will blow you away if youre used to a 10W halogen. But also because theyre Lupine, high quality stuff all the way. IMHO, if you have the $ then go for the Betty, no doubt. Its more powerfull and the beam is broader than the Wilma, without losing the reach. Its very flexible with all the programming, the charging is a breeze with the awesome Charger One, and itll sure last you a loooooooong time without asking for much in return (other than the high "admission price", of course ) I have a Wilma and am very satisfied: its small and incredibly powerfull. But Betty is superior I admit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks guys, thats kinda what i thought. Just wanted to make sure it was worth selling whats left of my soul to afford a betty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Betty appears to be 20%-30% brighter than the Wilma and a lot wider (and has more reach) so for one light, I'd go for the Betty if you can afford it. It isn't twice as bright or anything but the main beam is wider and the peripheral beam is wider.

However, after your light experience with the 10W halogen, the Wilma will blow you away as well. It is a lot lighter for the helmet and still has a lot of reach. If lighter weight and money are concerns, I vote for the Wilma.

If neither are, go Betty.

GeoMan
    If I could just get a Betty or a Wilma to stick around for a few hours, I would get one for myself. They sell so fast I don't have one yet!

Great lights - both of them.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

two wilmas

I bought the Wilma 6 and for another $400 and change a second head. I run them off one 6.8mah battery through a Y-connector. Both are on the bars. This is about the same cost as the top of the line Betty with the larger battery. Because I have two heads I set them up so the beam is slightly offset to the outside (small shims mounted to one side of the mount where it engages the bar). This arrangement provides superior peripheral light and down trail throw. Two heads also give me a built in backup. The disadvantage is the slight extra weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    When Larry at mtnhighcyclery became a dealer, a couple of us talked to him at length. Since we were all used to the wider beam of the ARC, we concluded that the Betty would be the best for a one-light setup. Squeaky has started off with that while I went with the Wilma-Betty combo. I think Larry is going to run just a Betty himself.

I like the two-Wilma setup (great idea) with a slight offset but knowing how much I like helmet lights, I'd need three Wilmas in that case

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Id like to try a 2 X Wilma too (1 @ the bar / 1 @ the helmet), before I cash for the Betty. Somehow I feel that wont happen (the tryout I mean). I believe it must be something already. That would also make "chosing a light for tonights ride" less of a phylosophical dillema for me Yeah, Im that undecided, I hate when I have to chose stuff like that so I keep some things "less complex" hehehe...

But if (actually, WHEN) I get another light, Ill go for the Betty cos it makes more sense to me to have a super-powerfull (Wilma) and a mega-ultra- powerfull (Betty). Ive considered an iBlaast or a 600L but I already have a Lupine so Ill stick with it for the sake of "interchangeability" of parts.

Talking about parts... Im not sure but I guess I lost my Wilmas helmet mount Cant find it anywhere here... Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement, or even if they sell it separate?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, they sell it, I am sure. Just email/call Todd at Gretnabikes or Larry at www.mtnhighcyclery.com.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    [I like the two-Wilma setup (great idea) with a slight offset but knowing how much I like helmet lights, I'd need three Wilmas in that case[/QUOTE]

I'm getting to like the helmet mounted light as well. I've using my DIY 2xQ5 cree. The color is indistinguishable from the Wilma and because it doesn't have hot spots it blends in real nice.

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    can be ordered from our website, and we have some in stock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Finally pulled the trigger today and ordered my wilma 8. Couldn't quite stretch the finances to a betty but after riding for 2 years on my 10 watt halogen it will be interesting to see what the trails actually look like

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You are going to like it a lot more than your halogen. That light will be a slightly different color than your halogen and you will probably like that a lot too.

My buddy was/is looking at the 600L but I hope he calls Larry for a Wilma instead. He keeps telling me how impressive the light is.

Zip
    Joe Dirt Status
    When I got my Wilma 6, I used it as a helmet mount along with my handlebar mounted Night Rider flamethrower..After a few rides I now just use the Wilma because it is so bright it totally diminishes any lighting effect the Nightrider gave off. It is incredible. I am now wondering how a Betty/Wilma combo would be.....
    "So long as I can have the sex, and the drugs...I don't really need the rock and roll" -Spinal Tap