mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Idea! Will L&M Stella 180L be good?

Hi guys, I am a dummy of light (well, a lot of things...) looking for some advice here.

I do not really know about good and bad aspects between HID and LED. It seems, normally, HID could be brighter but maybe will cost a lot in the further; whereas nice LED is only a bit dimmer, cost less, lighter...am i right?

Well, I want buy a HID first (NR flight), but after searching(stuff above), I change my mind to LED. Lupine, the price scared me; Switch back, not bad, but a bit heavy; Many people's favorite in this forum, DiNotte Ultra 5 Lithium, eh, the light shape is not my type ...then I found L&M Stella 180L, based on their web, it just as good as DiNotte, however, it seems will be on market in mid august? Do any of you already try it? Any comments?

Big thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I use L&M HIDs. They have awesome beam patterns. Personally, I think anything close to or above 500 Lumens is bright enough for trail riding if your trails are rough and fast.

L&M is working on a brighter LED that will be brighter than their HID but it will not be this year. I'd say look at Dinotte if you want a bright LED. I'll wait till L&M or some other good company comes out with their 800 plus LED. Till then I'm digging the L&M HIDs that start at $325.

Let us know what you end up with. As much as I like L&M as a company and their products (they make some sweet diving lighs too) the Stella is not bright enough to be much more than a commuter light or a secondary or backup trail light.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    that was really helpful, thanks flyer!

Thanks for giving me the sense about 500, 800 lumens. Since I am a new comer, I do not favorite any brand, so I guess I 'd try lumen wilm 4 this time. As it's so pricey, I guess I need save more money for it...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Look at any 500L LEDs out there as well. The Dinottes are far less expensive. Consider a L&M HID as well at $325 and up.

Then use those and wait a year or two till the LEDs become brighter and cheaper- they will. Each LED will be brighter, thus reducing the number of LEDs required to produce 800-1000 L. That will make the lighthead smaller and lighter as well.

If you can get the Wilma at a good price, go for it. Here they are probably $650 or so. That is twice the price of a good HID so they don't fly off the shelves. Of course, if you don't mind spending the money, go for it. The Wilma is a very good light and should be reliable as well. However, wait a bit. Since the new Lupine Bettys are on their way, the older Wilmas will likely drop in price as soon as the Bettys come out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    500L is just not sexy enough for me
    Betty? Is this girl a LED or HID? Do you know any details about it? When will it come out?
    Wilma 4's features are quite right for me except the price...but I really like it.

once again thank you so much for the info

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    oh my god, just saw betty in another thread, I guess it's her, around 1500 lumens! the price must go crazy high. and is this "too bright"?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Agreed- the 500L doesn't look that great

You got it- the Betty is Lupine's latest LED- 7 LEDs in a cluster, 1400 Lumens or so, 175 grams, and priced close to or over $1,000 US dollars

The Wilma is their better value and much lighter as well- definitely a consideration on steep trails. There is a big difference with an extra 50 grams on top of a light helmet. I'd definitely go for the Wilma if you like it. It will probably go on sale once the Betty come out so wait a bit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by paihk
    oh my god, just saw betty in another thread, I guess it's her, around 1500 lumens! the price must go crazy high. and is this "too bright"?
    Not sure about it being too bright but yes, it is possible. If the beam pattern is not well spread and/or if there is too much white light on the trail, it will wash out shadows and depth. Yellow light does well here and gives you better shadows and depth perception. White light is fine to a certain degree but too much could wash out trail details and make it dangerous. It's fine in a car on smooth asphalt but can be real trouble on rough trails, ESPECIALLY if all you have is a bright helmet-mounted light.

However, I have not seen the beam brightness or beam pattern of the Betty so I have no idea. Knowing Lupine, surely they took that into consideration so I will assume it isn't too bright.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by paihk
    Too bright isn't even a factor when you consider the light can be set to whatever brightness you want. And as a bonus the lower you can set it, the longer it will burn without a recharge. The only question with Betty is can you afford her?