Thread: Will this do?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Will this do?

Hi
    Waiting on my tripple order and have cobbled together this lump of Aluminium to use.
    Do you recon its enough to get rid of the heat?
    Its basically a Torch from a Texaco garage (buy 10 worth of fuel and get it fo 3.99 type of thing!) had a crap zenon bulb and some led's in it but it is 20mm around the glass bit.
    Shortend it and did some Dremmel work added some rubber seals a connector at the back and a switch (only wanted one mode) and a very nice bar clamp.
    Weighs 160Grams (without battery)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Will this do?-p1050177.jpg  

Will this do?-p1050179.jpg  

Will this do?-p1050180.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Looks good! Just out of curiosity, it there any way to retain the function of the clicky switch on flashlights when they are made into smaller bike lights?

For example, machining down the battery tube and connecting wires to the points where the battery would have made contact. Would this work?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have a P7 torch and have retained the clicky switch.
    I guess as long as you dont exceed the voltage/current rating of the switch it would be ok.
    Would depend on the original pwr of the torch i guess.
    Like any electrical device the current will always find a weak path and either get it warm or melt it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Good hack there! Just watch out for the external seal on the switch ... that cover relies upon a flat surface for the o-ring at the back of the knurled nut to sit on for weatherproofing ... you might be lucky and get away with it sitting on the curve.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    got another little o-ring behind it so its compressed and sealed it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    NIce DIY. As long as the slug is well fit to the body tube you ought to be fine on heat. Looks like plenty of surface area.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have some copper tape i use in cases like this.
    Its sticky one side and if i wrap it quite thick (say 3 layers) and the thing i am joining has threads it will actually make its own threads so i can screw it up real tight.
    Works a treat!
    Just had an email to say lux will be getting parts in about a week so wont be waiting too long for bits.Will give me time to put a battery together.
    Stupid aint it,i actually look forward to the nights drawing in as i prefer riding at night!
    Will have to use my trusty old Zled P4 tripple til then!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I almost only ride at night even on my days off when I can ride during the day.
    Now I just have to wait until about 8 PM to start. Looking forward to winter as well so I can get home before 10 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Same here.Got a kiddy as have most of my riding mates so 8pm starts are the norm.
    Good though as there are no walkers to run over!
    Doesnt stop them letting their dogs leave bloody eggs everywhere though!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    IMO you will need to add a finned heatsink. The Quazzle triple driven at 1300mA is ~12W for the LEDs alone and a bit for the driver. 24 sq. inches of surface area would be required to keep it nicely cooled.