mtbr member

who said that XP-E HEW R5 isn't good? ....

just compare

more beamshots (including R4 outdoor, warm and 90CRI) -> http://lux-rc.com/view.php?p=content.../3UP_selection

PS
    got some weed?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It's interesting that your HEW pic has the same throw as the xpe and MORE beam width than the xpg? That and the yellow ring is making me stare at the picture too much.

mtbr member
    it can be explained. good throw is provided by smaller die size, it's the same as in normal XP-E - 1mmx1mm. The yellow flood is given by the luminophor which covers the whole led and some amount is also implicated into the lens dome.

Another experiment shows that new board layout provides a significant output boost at 1.55A, the best performance showed by cool white XP-G's:

It's still not the copper DSPCB (direct-sink) - this project is delaying a bit, But even with thermally-enhanced MCPCB the boost at 1.5A makes a perfect sense

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    nice shots...but i'd like to see them without the snow...
    I WANT TO BUY YOUR MAGICSHINE LIGHTS! Working or not.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Mark at Cutter, and he meant it in terms of throw. Most of us here were looking for better throw at the time and he was informing us that the increase in lumens wasn't due to a more intense output of light.
    So do all the Hews have that weird peripheral artifact or if that just something wrong with the picture?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BKruahnndon
    nice shots...but i'd like to see them without the snow...
    it's still snowing here (damn!), so I need to wait 1-2 months to catch the same place in green

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    Mark at Cutter, and he meant it in terms of throw. Most of us here were looking for better throw at the time and he was informing us that the increase in lumens wasn't due to a more intense output of light.
    So do all the Hews have that weird peripheral artifact or if that just something wrong with the picture?
    it depends on optic too so any conclusions should be made for LED+optic combination. Also, the HEW is available in many bins, here I have posted the most bright type with minimal density of luminophor in the dome. Yes, there's a yellowish glow around the hotspot, but comparing with XP-E I'd prefer having this warmer light around rather than having nothing. The HEW chromaticity irregularity is resolved by proper LED's orientation in the cluster so you don't see yellowing spots in the hotspot even if clear optic is used.

Tonight I'm going to re-do all the spanshots using more accurate camera settings. Also the first 15 shots were made out of focus. And the last but not the least, I plan to test XP-E R3 cool white at desperate 1.5A current. I'm going to compare its beamshot next to normal 1A and also I'll test the performance degradation running it a few days in a oven at 150C

mtbr member
    I have an HEW triple on order I will be able to compare with an XP-E narrow, and an XM-L with Larua-RS and Regina. Housing and sled are wired and ready to go.

mtbr member
    Not sure the yellow areas would show on many backgrounds, or suspect that snow makes the difference more apparent and it should help older eyes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    Not sure the yellow areas would show on many backgrounds, or suspect that snow makes the difference more apparent and it should help older eyes.
    I was going to say the same thing but you beat me to it. I don't think the yellow ring would be so apparent on a more natural colored surface. It might even provide for a wider/softer foreground area if used on the handlebars. That could be a big plus if it isn't too stark a contrast. You won't know though until you see it without the snow.

mtbr member
    just finished image processing, I have posted all beamshots in my blog -> http://lux-rc.com/view.php?p=content/blogs/beamshots

The shots are sorted in a table - the same engine/LED type with 3 optic variants in a row.

I have 3 optic types for my 3UPs - Narrow Clear, Narrow Frosted and Medium Frosted

The full list of engines/LED types were tested here:
    3UP XP-G R5 1C Cool White 1.0 Amp (L333 B-type 11W)
    3UP XP-G R5 1C Cool White 1.5 Amp (L333 A-type 16W, AL MCPCB rev.2)
    3UP XP-E HEW R5 1C Cool White 1.0 Amp (L333 B-type 11W)
    3UP XP-E R3 WD Cool White 1.0 Amp (L333 B-type 11W)
    3UP XP-E R3 WD Cool White 1.5 Amp (L333 A-type 16W, AL MCPCB rev.2)
    3UP XP-G R4 4C Outdoor 1.0 Amp (L333 B-type 11W)
    3UP XP-G R4 4C Outdoor 1.5 Amp (L333 A-type 16W, AL MCPCB rev.2)
    3UP XP-G Q5 DE7 Warm 1.0 Amp (L333 B-type 11W)
    3UP XP-G Q5 DE7 Warm 1.5 Amp (L333 A-type 16W, AL MCPCB rev.2)
    3UP XP-G 90-CRI Q3 AE7 1.0 Amp (L333 B-type 11W)
    3UP XP-G 90-CRI Q3 AE7 1.5 Amp (L333 A-type 16W, AL MCPCB rev.2)
    3UP XP-E RGB Mixed 1.0 Amp (L333 B-type 9W)

I'll try to add an animated preview/compare function today. But now clicking on the thumbnail opens a popup with a large picture

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    great beamshots! thanks for the work you put into your development!
    ..just ride...

mtbr member
    The output and throw of the XP-E R3 narrow @ 1.5A looks awesome. I bet it will look even better without the snow.

mtbr member
    Yes, XP-E showed very good perfomance and excellend throw running at 1.5A.
    I guess it will be very good option for new copper DSPCB board which is alomost finished here. But I need to go through the degradation testing before releasing this new configuration.

Also, XP-E HEW R5 showed much better "flood" perfomance running at 1A than XP-G R5. So for "flood" light I'd recommend XP-E HEW, the rather that it's less expensive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    so, you say that the HEW has more flood than the XP-G and more throw too??
    ..just ride...

mtbr member
    I meant "flood" optic in this case, just check the beamshoots...

using 10508 medium frosted optic (both running at 1amp):

The throw comparison using 10507 narrow clear lens:

My resume: when the HEW’s capability to provide a nice throw can be still disputed because of some color artifacts with a clear optic, its ability to generate a flood is out of question. Running at the same current (and consuming the same power) XP-E HEW R5 provides a way better close-distance illumination with most frosted optic variants. HEW stands for “High Efficient White”, that’s a matter of fact.

Dirt Deviant
    Looking good.
    Have you tried the HEW with the frosted narrow?
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    Looking good.
    Have you tried the HEW with the frosted narrow?
    sure I have. I have tired all 12 led types/currents with 3 optic types, 36 beamshots in total

mtbr member
    please see the final beamshot show with animated comparison at
    http://lux-rc.com/view.php?p=content/blogs/beamshots/

The UI is simple - you just select any two shots and see the difference in animation on top of the page
    Any suggestions?

I'm going to shot two more series in the same place later:
    - rainy day + fog
    - clear summer night
    Last edited by quazzle; 04-04-2011 at 04:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by quazzle
    I meant "flood" optic in this case, just check the beamshoots...

My resume: when the HEW’s capability to provide a nice throw can be still disputed because of some color artifacts with a clear optic, its ability to generate a flood is out of question. Running at the same current (and consuming the same power) XP-E HEW R5 provides a way better close-distance illumination with most frosted optic variants. HEW stands for “High Efficient White”, that’s a matter of fact.
    Thanks, i missed that you meant the optic!

Great comparison tool you have integrated!!
    ..just ride...

Dirt Deviant
    That is very cool Q.
    I really like the click and compare.
    Really awesome you put that together.
    I really like how the frosted narrow smooths out the ring.
    But I'm really digging the XPG R4 tint.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    sure I have. I have tired all 12 led types/currents with 3 optic types, 36 beamshots in total
    There's no HEW @1.5 Amp

mtbr member
    formally the max current of all XP-E's is 1Amp. Higher currents are not approved by CREE. In case of XP-E R3 1.5Amps noticeably boost the output. But I don't know how it works in long-term. I'm going to return to such tests when the direct-sink on copper PCB will be finished here. Having "ideal" thermal path should provide good conditions for over-driving experiments.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    formally the max current of all XP-E's is 1Amp. Higher currents are not approved by CREE. In case of XP-E R3 1.5Amps noticeably boost the output. But I don't know how it works in long-term. I'm going to return to such tests when the direct-sink on copper PCB will be finished here. Having "ideal" thermal path should provide good conditions for over-driving experiments.
    But you tried XP-E R3 @1.5A, so why not to try HEW R5 @1.5A when you are at it? Probably not for production but for experiment/curiosity.