Thread: While I wait...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

While I wait...

I have my L33's OTW...but I can't really do anymore to them until the engines arrive. I've got my two XP-G stars OTW for the double-barrel build...

My neighbor liked the micro hex single XP-G so much that he wanted me to build him a work lamp / headlamp that can be set down and positioned to shine on projects.

He doesn't have a ton of cash laying around, so I tore apart my Akoray Q5 light and used the switch, reflector, emitter, GITD ring, and lens to build this little thang for him.

I haven't got a mount built yet, but am open to suggestions. I may do a forked type mount that the light head will just "slide on" so it's easily removed. I'm thinking about partially recessing a super-strong Neodymium Rare Earth magnet into the back of the light so you can slide it off the mount and attach it to say...the underside of the hood of the car...or whatever.

Runs on a single 14500.

I dunno who the wiseguy was that told me to ditch the snap rings, but I tried it with this light. I have the emitter under the reflector...lens on top of that...and squirted a tiny-tiny line of silicone into the grooveright above the lens...and the O-ring is pressed into the groove and retains the guts. Worked like a freakin' gem, so whichever one of you suggested it...thanks!

Took the switch out of the tailcap and soldered it in-line...heat-shrunk'n'done! Not expecting this to necessitate waterproof switch...but I can always alter it. I really like how small this little salvaged switch is.

(I love GITD rings)

The little bugger doesn't get hot at all with the Q5 in it. I left it on for 15min in my daughters room and didn't even feel warm yet. I'm gonna do a little runtime test with the thermo and see how'goes after an hour or so.

mtbr member
    Great work! I don't know if I'd have all my fingers if I were making something similar

Sad you had to rip apart the Akoray Q5, that is not a bad light when it works You could probably upgrade the Akoray host with parts from DX. I think they sell those reflectors too, I have a couple that look similar, and they are pretty nice for the Q5, they really throw.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    This particular Akoray always sucked. The old version (orange button) was very cool. Modes were kickin'! This GITD green button version is a super-cheap'o version.

Best thing I ever did to it when it was a flashlight was direct drive.

I didn't do the finning on the lathe. I used a 2mm end mill...notice the inner core on the deep grooves is hex-shaped.

mtbr member
    Good to hear the light was not a sacrifice, I have the orange buttoned one and it has some intermittent issues which I have yet to get around to fixing, but I still like it.

Was a 4th axis used to mill it or was it all manually set up? I just picked up a 0.078" endmill 3 flute endmill which I have been wanting to try out on something like this (once I get my mill back in commission). Any suggestion on feedrates for small bits like this when cutting aluminum?

I just had a cool (I think) idea which builds on your magnet idea - if a magnet were placed on the side with an adjacent side having another oriented the other way, you could stick 3 of them together to make a small cluster of lights. That would probably work really well with the intergrated LED + driver setups.