mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Where to buy foam tape? (slightly tacky)

I'm looking for some foam tape similar to what's ont the bottom of a Marwi helmet mount. I need something that is somewhat thick (2-3mm) but not slick so it will hold the light in place fore/aft. If I strap it on the helmet where I like it...it sorta slides down toward the front a bit b/c the bar that I strap it to is wide at the top and narrow at the bottom. Naturally it "wants" to move forward.

I know I could use velcro...but I don't want something "stuck" to my helmet when my light is off the lid.

Any experience or ideas? (please make suggestions based on something you've either tried or had in your hands)...I've googled all sort's of things that "may/may not" work...but there are types of foam that are slicker'n crap. My other helmet mount has some sticky foam that slides down...but the Marwi foam is slightly tacky.

recognize the slowness
    weather stripping...many sizes to get the right one and it has a bit of a grippy feel.

Hope that helps.

JB
    "mountain biking and flyfishing, what more do you want?" - Yeah, I said it

Lets RIDE!
    You could try a small strip of adhesive-backed sandpaper on your helmet....that might keep the mount from sliding.
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thats the thing...I have all sorts of stuff that I can stick to the helmet. I just don't want anything on the helmet when the light isn't there. (anal) I have industrial velcro that will take care of me in that respect. I was hoping for a "cleaner" design.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Here is all the rubber forms you could possible want, and adhesive backed...
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#rubber/=6yqfi0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    I'm looking for some foam tape similar to what's ont the bottom of a Marwi helmet mount. I need something that is somewhat thick (2-3mm) but not slick so it will hold the light in place fore/aft. If I strap it on the helmet where I like it...it sorta slides down toward the front a bit b/c the bar that I strap it to is wide at the top and narrow at the bottom. Naturally it "wants" to move forward.

I know I could use velcro...but I don't want something "stuck" to my helmet when my light is off the lid.

Any experience or ideas? (please make suggestions based on something you've either tried or had in your hands)...I've googled all sort's of things that "may/may not" work...but there are types of foam that are slicker'n crap. My other helmet mount has some sticky foam that slides down...but the Marwi foam is slightly tacky.
    I don't know if will work for you but this is what I do. I have a light that I mount very forward on my helmet ( quad XR-E ). Mine too used to slide down and become loose, very annoying. No matter how tight I tried to tighten the straps it still slid down.

My solution was to take a strip of old inner tube and wad it up and then try to slide it underneath the metal mount ( while the light is mounted to the helmet). I tried just putting the rubber wad under and then tightening the straps but it still wouldn't hold. However when I mount the light first ( as tight as I can ) and then carefully slide the wad under the mount it works great and stays in place. The trick is sliding it under the metal mount without it bunching up. I use a thin piece of plastic to accomplish this ( think guitar pick or plastic bread tie ) and then gently tilt the mount back while sliding the rubber wad in place, first one side then the other. This usually only takes a minute or two and I have lots of old rubber inner tubes around. You will have to first figure out just how thick and wide a wad you need but once you do you should be set. ( I use electrical tape to keep the wad from coming apart.) Having to do this every time to mount the light is a PITA but it works. An added plus of doing this is that it raises the angle slightly on my light. My light has a 2 inch pig-tail so it can only tilt so far backward with out hitting the helmet. ( ** cut up an old credit card for the plastic piece, that should work great. Nothing like recycling..

recognize the slowness
    why can't you attach the 'stuff' to your light mount?

it will still help it stay in place but not stay on the lid...
    "mountain biking and flyfishing, what more do you want?" - Yeah, I said it

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thats the plan...adhesive tacky foam b/c the 3-4mm of squish will fill the small ridges in the helmet and halp sit level...the tackyness to stay planted.