mtbr member
    Oct 2007

for when my betty arrives...

Will it fit my oversize bars 31.8mm or do i have to buy an extra mount? Is there a stem mount option?

and...i'm hoping to gor for a good long ride when it arrives, should i try it bar mounted or helmet mounted first? (i already have a 250 ish lumen light which is a narrowish beam, and. have bar and helmet mounts for this too). I know i can always change it mid ride and i'll probably have a play in both positions at some point, just wondered what the collective wisdom on this board reccommends.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Try it bar monted first. Your spot beam on the other light may not work that well. try both ways though and see which you prefer.

The Betty is snug on my regular bar so it will be tight on your oversized bar. It should fit though you will have to use some technique to stretch the band.

Bodhisattva
    Betty fits on a 31.8 bar. No problem. Just need to give the o-ring a firmer tug.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You can get a separate mount for 31.8 bars that helps, but the 26 mount will go on a 31.8 bar ok - I have been doing that with my Edison for four years until very recently when I got a 31.8 mount. Also, do yourself a favor and get a Peppi mount for your PCS and, if you do, don't forget to get an extra 31.8 mount for that too. They use the same bar clamp base as the lights.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bdaghisallo
    You can get a separate mount for 31.8 bars that helps, but the 26 mount will go on a 31.8 bar ok - I have been doing that with my Edison for four years until very recently when I got a 31.8 mount. Also, do yourself a favor and get a Peppi mount for your PCS and, if you do, don't forget to get an extra 31.8 mount for that too. They use the same bar clamp base as the lights.
    I use a 31.8mm mount on my ovesized bar, which obviously works perfectly fine since it's designed for it. I have not tried to use the regular mount on an oversized bar yet but apparently this should work too.
    There are however two factors I think you should consider.
    First of all I have noticed putting on the 31.8mm mount does result in not being able to use the light in combination with the helmet mount or headmount. At least not directly, as it sits way too loose. The solution I use is to 'thicken' the diameter of the helmet mount with an adequate piece of rubbber. Screwing the standard mount back on of course works too.
    And secondly, I am a bit puzzled by the message quoted above as to my knowledge, oversized handlebars all taper to a standard diameter (25.4mm) on the outside. And that is a good thing as this means there luckily is only one standard for brake mounts, shifter mounts, grips, etc... Which makes it unnecessary to order an oversized mount for a Peppi holder unless you would want to mount the switch in the center of the bar (but that's not very practical in my opinion). I for one use a standard Peppi on an oversized (but tapered) bar without any issues.
    Enjoy Betty, she's great

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I use mine on my road bike and have always mounted the peppi on the center bulge on my 31.8 bar. I suppose on a mtb you would want the switch closer to where you hold on to the bar since you would probably be switching between hi and lo beams quite often. On a road bike, you don't often need to switch beam levels that urgently I find, so having the pcs on the center of the bar, and out of the way of the hands when you are holding the tops, is not a problem.

Cheers,
    Geoff

Bodhisattva
    Guys,
    I can't speak for Edison, but AFAIK there are no mounts for Betty.

The mounting system (o-ring) is incorporated into the light unit. Just wrap it around the bar and hook it back on itself. No mount.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Guys,
    I can't speak for Edison, but AFAIK there are no mounts for Betty.

The mounting system (o-ring) is incorporated into the light unit. Just wrap it around the bar and hook it back on itself. No mount.
    Well, I am speaking about the Betty and you are right and wrong at the same time...
    The mounting system is (normally permanently) screwed on the lighthead with an allen screw and consists in fact of a small black carbon block and a (permanently fixed) rubber band.
    The mounting system installed when buying a Wilma/Betty and probably any Lupine light is the one for a standard diameter bar.
    This mount can easily be unscrewed and exchanged for a mount for oversized bars, with as only differences a cutout in the carbon block corresponding to a 31.8mm diameter (in stead of 25.4mm) and the rubber band being a bit longer so it can be pulled around the oversized bar easily

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfHenk
    Well, I am speaking about the Betty and you are right and wrong at the same time...
    The mounting system is (normally permanently) screwed on the lighthead with an allen screw and consists in fact of a small black carbon block and a (permanently fixed) rubber band.
    The mounting system installed when buying a Wilma/Betty and probably any Lupine light is the one for a standard diameter bar.
    This mount can easily be unscrewed and exchanged for a mount for oversized bars, with as only differences a cutout in the carbon block corresponding to a 31.8mm diameter (in stead of 25.4mm) and the rubber band being a bit longer so it can be pulled around the oversized bar easily
    Gotcha.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    But for those wondering, the "standard" mount works just fine on 31.8 bars.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    thanks for the replies!

Just one last think foes the standard band still work ok on the helmet mount if its been used on the 31.8mm bar? I mean it doesnt get too stretched then ends up slack on the helmet mount?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That band is so thick and strong that I doubt it will be permanently stretched unless you left it on the bar for months at a time. There is only one way to find out but I think it will not be too stretched if it's relatively new.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    That band is so thick and strong that I doubt it will be permanently stretched unless you left it on the bar for months at a time. There is only one way to find out but I think it will not be too stretched if it's relatively new.
    I suspect this is true.
    After learning about the 31.8 mount (thanks SurfHenk) I've decided that $12 for the oversized mount is a good investment and will be ordering one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Hope We both had a part of the puzzle

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    I suspect this is true.
    After learning about the 31.8 mount (thanks SurfHenk) I've decided that $12 for the oversized mount is a good investment and will be ordering one.
    Thank you to you too, I indeed knew about (and am using) the 31.8mm mount but was not aware of the possibility to stretch the standard mount enough to fit over an oversized bar. This forum really is a great concentration of knowledge...
    While I was not sure how easily the thick rubber band Lupine uses would be stretched far enough, the quality of the band is such that I can not imagine anyone overstretching it permanently. So who knows, maybe I will go back to the standard mount so I can switch between bar and helmet easier after having learned the standard mount is compatible with an oversized bar