mtbr member
    Jul 2005

When did the Edge 305 come out and how soon till the 405 is out?

Just wondering if I'm going to buy a product that will be not the latest and greatest in a month or two.

trail rat
    Do you have the links to the info you have found about the 405?
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by Jank
    Just wondering if I'm going to buy a product that will be not the latest and greatest in a month or two.
    The Garmin Edge began shipping in the 3rd or 4th quarter of 2005. That being said, I took delivery of mine in February of 2006 and I was the first person I knew of that had one.

I checked all my sources recently (including four of the largest Garmin warehouses in the U.S.) and nobody has any news on an "Edge 405" though an update sometime in the future is inevitable - it always is. Garmin's founder has promised 65 new or updated products every year. They spend lots of money on R&D.

Bear in mind that the very first time I heard the "Edge 405" rumor was in May, 2006 (on this forum), just a few months after the Edge 305 became readily available. I wouldn't rely on any hearsay until you actually see one.

With the Garmin/Powerbar $75 Edge 305 Rebate (effective through November 30, 2007), it seems like a very good time to buy one. If you want to investigate the rebate, click here.

Go get an Edge 305 and enjoy it! You won't regret it.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    With the Garmin/Powerbar $75 Edge 305 Rebate (effective through November 30, 2007), it seems like a very good time to buy one. If you want to investigate the rebate, click here.

Go get an Edge 305 and enjoy it! You won't regret it.
    So basically Geoman, If I order a 305 from you for $269.00 I then get another $75.00 off in rebate form from Garmin? That's awesome.

GeoMan
    Yep, correct!

I'll send you the rebate form if you want it.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

trail rat
    I spend quite a bit of time reading the GroundSpeak (geocaching/GPS) forums, and the MotionBased forums, and have never seen any mention of a "edge 405" except speculation of one here on MTBR. Some want mapping added to the 305, but I don't think it will ever happen.

I suspect the MTB users of Garmins are the smallest bike demographic, compared to road riders and triatheletes, who do not care about mapping, except for tracks downloaded to the computer. Garmins' addition of the high sensitivity receiver to the eTrex line is probably the best move for the MTB community, but you don't get fitness data logging on it.

I personally use my Edge 305 more on my cross (road mostly) bike than the mtn bike. My 60CSx is used primarily on my mtn bike with the 305 for fitness logging. When I use both, I do not have the 60CSx keeping track logs, just for maps and navigation.

We mtb folks are vocal here, but I suspect we are a small part of Garmin users compared to the rest of the outdoor users of small fitness (bike or wrist mount) and/or handheld units.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    I spend quite a bit of time reading the GroundSpeak (geocaching/GPS) forums, and the MotionBased forums, and have never seen any mention of a "edge 405" except speculation of one here on MTBR. Some want mapping added to the 305, but I don't think it will ever happen.

I suspect the MTB users of Garmins are the smallest bike demographic, compared to road riders and triatheletes, who do not care about mapping, except for tracks downloaded to the computer. Garmins' addition of the high sensitivity receiver to the eTrex line is probably the best move for the MTB community, but you don't get fitness data logging on it.

I personally use my Edge 305 more on my cross (road mostly) bike than the mtn bike. My 60CSx is used primarily on my mtn bike with the 305 for fitness logging. When I use both, I do not have the 60CSx keeping track logs, just for maps and navigation.

We mtb folks are vocal here, but I suspect we are a small part of Garmin users compared to the rest of the outdoor users of small fitness (bike or wrist mount) and/or handheld units.
    As always, wise, well-spoken words.

I agree, Garmin likely will not want to dilute the handheld mapping category by giving mapping to the Edge but we could be surprised when that day comes. Color? Yes.

I've posted my solution to mapping before. Here it is again... Enjoy!

GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    Yep, correct!

I'll send you the rebate form if you want it.

how long is the rebate going on?

GeoMan
    November 30.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com