mtbr member

Whats a good tail light to get?

It seems the Magic Shine 900 lumen light is going to be the best I can find for under $100 so I'm set on that.

Not alot of talk about tail lights. I want a taillight that is LED and mounts pretty tight and compact against the seat. Is there a powerful micro LED tail light out there or any tail lights that look better than the rest?

thanks
    "Life is for living, not living uptight"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Build your own! That way you get exactly what you want.
    This is the DIY forum afterall...

recognize the slowness
    there have been a few tail lights on here in the past.

do a search and see what you find. I can't remember who posted them right now.

JB
    "mountain biking and flyfishing, what more do you want?" - Yeah, I said it

Carbon8er
    IMO, I would rather just buy a super small, super bright bike tail light and be done with it.
    There are some out there now that are off the scale bright and very small
    And they have all kinds of cool features that you cannot duplicate with a simple DIY build

I was riding behind one guy a couple weeks ago and everyone in the pace line was complaining about his tail light blinding us.
    I forget the brand name of his light.

I ride with a couple other guys that have the Planet Bike Blinky Superflash Tail Light

I can tell you that the Planet bike model is way better than my older blinky tail light.
    The Planet bike model does this cool thing where the led pattern goes up and down and then does some sort of strobe effect inside the clear area at the top.
    That really gets your attention

Here's a youtube video of one in action
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaZ8mHrUezA

performance has a few pics of it mounted on a bike
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...1_20000_400159

mtbr member
    If you have the Magic Shine lights already the tailight looks very good, here:

MJ-818 3W Tailight

and here:

Magicshine Tail Light MJ-818 3W review w/ video

My current favorite blinky recently displacing the PBSF ($circa $25), is the Radbot1000 (circa $30) running 2 AAA 1000 mAhr NiMH recharged on flash mode and recharged every 4-6 hours to maintain high output. Two side by side set up a very annoying flash-off as they are slightly out of sync so match theen diverge, repeat. Visible in daylight from a good distance. They fit PBSF mounts, too.

Thread here discusses it wrt other options:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=274251

Two DIY 1-1.4 W tailights (top) (circa $40 but I had 12 volt battery), 1 radbot1000 center right, two PBSFs on steady, low res camera phone shot.

One PBSF on flash each side facing to sides caught starting or ending a flash cycle), two Radbot1000s, the one on left firing, below the two DIY lights which aim about 5 degrees to either side. Angled shot stops the DIY lights from overwhelming camera.

If you want a very BRIGHT DIY tailight:

Another commuting thread about lights...

(Circa $60 without battery). Whole thread is good, about lights, reflective devices, and clothing, but post 81 and later ones show/discuss a pair of inexpensive circa 700 lumen (>1000 in specs) lights.

If you want a Supernova tailight, a build suggestion on a red SST 90 is here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...&postcount=115 But you will be in Dinotte 140 territory price-wise (circa $140) Some flashlight suggestions in there too.

Enjoy!

Cars Are Evil
    I bought a Radbot 500 because I figured the 1000 would be obnoxious for my friends behind me. It replaced a Planet Bike Superflash that fell off on the trail because it just snaps together. The Radbot has screws holding it together. The Radbot 500 is as bright as the PBSF and has a better reflector.

I also have a custom red LED module build by Nailbender on Candlepowerforums. It's SUPER bright and fits in any standard p60 type light.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    If you have the Magic Shine lights already the tailight looks very good, here:

MJ-818 3W Tailight

and here:

Magicshine Tail Light MJ-818 3W review w/ video

My current favorite blinky recently displacing the PBSF ($circa $25), is the Radbot1000 (circa $30) running 2 AAA 1000 mAhr NiMH recharged on flash mode and recharged every 4-6 hours to maintain high output. Two side by side set up a very annoying flash-off as they are slightly out of sync so match theen diverge, repeat. Visible in daylight from a good distance. They fit PBSF mounts, too.

Thread here discusses it wrt other options:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=274251

!
    hummm....this is the first time I've heard of the Radbot 1000. ( well maybe not...) From the videos, this looks very impressive and yes brighter than the PBSF yet still compact/ light-weight and simple to mount.
    If I didn't already own a PBSF I might indeed spring for one of these. I don't commute by bike but if I did I would undoubtedly buy one of the Radbot 1000's real quick. Not that I need more light for night, the PBSF works fine for that but the Radbot K would definitely be better if needed for low-light daylight conditions. I'm sure the MS rear light is a fine light but it does have mounting issues I just wouldn't want to deal with. If I wanted the best I probably would go with a Dinotte 140L BUT the Radbot 1000 looks to be the best bang-for-the-buck$.

FWIW....On my last night ride, as I was riding the road , a car passed me going the opposite direction....a couple moments later I happened to turn my head and noticed that the car that passed me had pulled over to the side of the road and had stopped. By that time I was at least 300-500ft behind him. No doubt he was checking out my PBSF. Nice to know the SF can still cause Awe/Wonder! The SF is still one damn good blinkie light. My bet is the Planet Bike people will upgrade their SF to 1 watt. I love these BRIGHT blinkies but I sure wish they would include a low flash mode ( think 2 little leds ) for when you want to ride in groups. No one want's to ride behind anyone using a Super Bright tail light for a long period of time, including me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    The SF is still one damn good blinkie light. My bet is the Planet Bike people will upgrade their SF to 1 watt. I love these BRIGHT blinkies but I sure wish they would include a low flash mode ( think 2 little leds ) for when you want to ride in groups. No one want's to ride behind anyone using a Super Bright tail light for a long period of time, including me.
    I still use three PBSFs: one on a dangling pivot on the back of the helmet so it remains vertical over a range of head angles, and one each on a bracket & tube mounted on the front side of the rear brake firing sideways. If they weren't good, I'd not be bothered with them as they owe me nothing at this point.

The PBSF's are very responsive to battery voltage. Lithium AAA cells would provide the most light longest as they die rapidly after steady voltage. NiMH a more eco responsible choice show a rapid decline in steady mode with 6-8 hours at 80% of fresh cell output, maybe 60-65% of fresh alkaline or lithium cells. So if you use them with AAA NiMH on flash they likely have 12-20 hours of good output, The eye cannot tell this difference close up especially in the day when you might be testing them. NiMH don't age well with deep discharges anyway so it is good battery management.

Two PBSF's side by side will give a single Radbot1000 a run for it's money. The larger size and the unique flash pattern when paired is much more visible annoying. For rides, just shut one off or put it on steady, or aim it down a bit. Still a low output mode would be nice.

In group rides, I can just more the side firing PBSF's into the Radbot1000 spots and run one flash, one steady. But some commuting cyclists and all motorists you don't want too close...At night, reasonably fresh cells in two PBSFs doing their paired light dance is pretty good.