mtbr member
    Jan 2005

What would you pay for a case? - DIY light

I've built a 2xQ5 light that can be viewed here:

DIY done cheap

Makes a great helmet light.

My original concept was to make this as cheap as possible but I'm sure many of you know one thing can lead to another and before long you're up to your eyeballs. It just gets to be too much fun. Anyway, as you can see in the thread the prototype doesn't require any tools other than a drill and a good file to manufacture. However, I thought I would investigate how much a better design would cost me.

I have enlisted the services of a machinist who will build about 25 cases for me. They will differ from the case in the thread by the following.

1. The front will incorporate a lip to allow the polycarbonate to attach flush to the surface.
    2. Air cooling channels will be added to three sides.
    3. Each corner will be shaved off to create a more asthetic appearance.
    4. Black anodization will cover the surfaces. This is a highly thermally conductive anodization.

The case will come with front polycarbonate cut to size, case body, rear plate - also anodized, and hardware to attach.

To make the 25 cases I'm being quoted a price of $25 each - which I think is very reasonable. I have several friends that want me to build this light and I will be keeping at least 10 of the cases. I'm not attempting to make any money off this but simply want to get a few cases for myself and friends. If I was to make only the 10 cases I want the cost would be much higher - thus the reasoning behind my offer.

Is there any interest? If there is I will post an ad in MTBR classifieds, with a nice pic (when I get it) and offer the case for $25 - not including shipping.
    Last edited by il2mb; 11-28-2007 at 09:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If the case looks as good as some of the others posted then I think 25 would be good price. I paid 15 for a flashlight - does the job but it's not as nice as machined case.