mtbr member

What would you choise?

Hi guys!

This summer i am planing to build a 3x XM-L light for my bike, but browsing DX parts and accesories i found this:

UltraFire 4 x Cree XM-L T6 2600lm 4-Mode White Bicycle Headlamp - Metal Grey (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

My question:

What would you guys choise? 3x XM-L homemade, or this one?

If i'll do a homemade light it will result in a more expensive, hard work and no so good looking light, when this one is allready done.

Did anyone else buy this bike light? Impressions? Whis is only "2600" lumens? What is the output for 2600 lumens (nightshoot needed).

I am waiting for your replys.
    Thx a lot!

mtbr member
    Depends on your motivation, experience, budget and access to tools.
    If I had access to a machine shop I'd be making my own. There is a great sense of pride and accomplishment from designing something tailored to your specific needs.

I've always been a tinkerer and bike lighting has been a recent compulsion. I started off with an cheap offshore light and I'm learning a lot about circuits and batteries as I fix and modify it.

Personally I'd get the DX light and learn/mod/build from there.

Not too many reviews on the 4x light yet.

When my single XML dies I'll be buying a 3, 4 emitter light and go from there.

mtbr member
    Forget the budget, i just want to know the output compared betwen my homemade 3x XM-L and that 4x XM-L DX light.

I want that light just for throw (like high beam).

What should i choice?

mtbr member
    Well?

Anyone?

mtbr member
    Okay I'll bite. You're asking people on a forum titled "Lights DIY - Do It Yourself" whether they would build their own or buy an off-the-shelf commercial light? What do you think the answer might be?

Having said that here is my advice. Building your own light to rival this one is a world of frustration and pain. Ordering parts from several different suppliers from all corners of the World assuming you even know what is compatible and what you need to buy is still a nightmare even for the experienced. On top of that you need to source a suitable housing or have the wherewithal to fabricate one yourself.

The fact that you are even asking indicates to me that you would be better off buying the DX offering. But, and it's a BIG but, if you do have a go yourself and you manage to get a light working, that instant when your own creation bursts into life can be very satisfying, even if it does cost you four times the DX offering.

Hope that helps.

banned
    Aug 2012
    You could,
    Buy it, buy a different driver board, and hack it ... That output is 23.5 Watts, and the led's combined are good for 40 Watts ... But you'll pay for it in heat build-up that the housing most likely can't properly dissipate.

Do as OTH suggested, buy it and use it as is.
    Last edited by bikeabuser; 02-01-2013 at 07:25 PM. Reason: current clarification

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrystyan27 View Post
    Forget the budget, i just want to know the output compared betwen my homemade 3x XM-L and that 4x XM-L DX light.

I want that light just for throw (like high beam).

What should i choice?

If you want an XML light with great throw, the chinese 4 LED won't be it. It will be pretty bright though without real testing no way to know if it is 1500 lumen or 2500 lumen.

XMLs need pretty large (~35mm) reflectors for great throw. I don't know what your home made triple uses for reflectors or optics so have no way to advise on how to do better. If it is using the Ledil Cute 3, it won't be much of a thrower either.

mtbr member
    At this moment i have no parts... i am just gathering info for the next build.

So... the sollution for great output and throw is still a homemade sollution.

Sun Worshiper
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrystyan27 View Post
    Well?

Anyone?
    Well, I ordered a Trustfire 3x XML from DX to check out and it consumes 4.5W, 8.1W and 11.7W in L, M, H, giving slightly more light output at high as my single XML at 11.8W consumption, and the single has a better beam.
    I was intending on modifying it for better output, but I think I'll just sell it off as is as a cheap low output light.
    TrustFire TR-008 3 x Cree XM-L T6 2000lm 4-Mode White Bicycle Lamp - Black + Purple (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Also ordered a 3x XML drop-in from DX and set the sense resistor to output a current of 2.8A (from 2.3A), the watt consumption went from something around 23W to 28W
    A low, med, high of 8.5W, 16W, 28W, with the low setting just a bit less bright to the Trustfire at full power, and the drop in having a better beam.

XM-L T6 3-LED Smooth Drop-in LED Module w/ Temperature Control (5-Modes 1800LM) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I drive the drop in with a LiPo 3S 5000mAh battery

What would you choise?-dsc04044.jpg

(talk about a bare bones wysiwyg text editor, what's up with that, can't even load a picture) the wysiwyg text editor pops up upon edit, but is absent when creating the post :facepalm:

mtbr member
    Ok, i'm decided to do a 4x XM-L build, if i'm still goana do it, at least to be blazing powerfull.

Now, need to find heatsink, housing... and most important, money. :P

BTW... this driver can power 2x XM-L in series? Need to be heatsinked?

T6 3-Mode Regulated LED Driver Circuit Board for DIY Flashlight (2500~3000mA 4.5~18V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

banned
    Aug 2012
    If ya wanna go cheap, check out Costco (if you have one).
    I bought a 3 XML flashlight set for $22 a while back (lenses) ... Gonna tear them apart and make a new housing, someday.
    You can't find 3 XML's for the price of the three flashlights.
    They've also got a 3 XPG set (reflector) for $15 at my local store ... I bought a 3 pack, just because.

mtbr member
    No i don't have costco in my area.

I'll get all my parts only from DX.

mtbr member
    So...this driver can power 2x XM-L in series? Need to be heatsinked?

T6 3-Mode Regulated LED Driver Circuit Board for DIY Flashlight (2500~3000mA 4.5~18V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Your post didn't have a link in it - but I'm assuming it is this driver (the one from the easy XM-L build thread around here):

It should be able to drive up to 3 XM-L in series - (~10.05Vf) on a 4S battery (14.8-16.8v). Since it is a buck driver, there shouldn't be a huge need for heatsinking. Just make sure you maintain ~2v moreon your battery than the Vf of your LEd array. (Easy way to think of it is one more Li-Ion cell in series than the number of series LED's in your string) It is designed as a flashlight driver to fit inside a P60-style pill, but it isn't really heatsinked in a flashlight application.

I've used 2 of these in builds recently, and both barely touched 2.4A on high. Which is really just fine for XM-L's.

mtbr member
    Ok, and what about the reflectors?

If i want just throw (minimum spill), what reflector should i choice?

This reflector have been recommanded to me.

18.5mm Smooth Aluminum Reflector - Free Shipping - DealExtreme