mtbr member

What would make a better helmet light? 4xXPG or 1 x MCE?

Hi all
    Now that the adjustable light is done I'm looking to clear out some of my left over bits by making a small helmet light.
    Question is: What would be better - XP-G Quad or single MC-E?

I've got a spare maxflex (v5 so will do ~ 2.5v) so was thinking of using a 3.75v 7.8aH battery to power it. Want to do it so that the battery is on the helmet too.

I've got the MC-E and the quad XP-G but don't have any specific optics so I'm open to any suggestions....

Cheers
    Steve

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    For the helmet you want a thrower. So 4x XP-G would not be a good solution due to huge flood if you want to keep it compact. I'd go for the MC-E. You'll get way less light than out of 4 up, but you'd be able to focus that light very well. Optics? Either Fraen FRC-N 35mm reflector or Polymer 225 reflector.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toaster79 View Post
    For the helmet you want a thrower. So 4x XP-G would not be a good solution due to huge flood if you want to keep it compact. I'd go for the MC-E. You'll get way less light than out of 4 up, but you'd be able to focus that light very well. Optics? Either Fraen FRC-N 35mm reflector or Polymer 225 reflector.
    That's what I was thinking. MC-E it is I reckon.

Anyone got any spare MC-E Reflectors going spare? The Fraen FRC-N one looks perfect

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    These are hard to get by. I know Cutter has them in stock again, also 225s.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toaster79 View Post
    These are hard to get by. I know Cutter has them in stock again, also 225s.
    Thanks Toaster. Don't really want to spend $14 on shipping a $6 part tho. Will see if any kind sould here has one 1st

mtbr member
    Just found one of my old 7-up housings which will fit the Fraen optic pretty well so gonna go with that. Save me a bit of effort making the housing. Will need a new back section tho..

mtbr member
    Managed to source a Fraen optic which should be here this week. Will get the machining done ready

Which would be more efficient with a maxflex? 3.75v or 7.5v?