View Poll Results: What lights do you use?

Voters
173. You may not vote on this poll
  • Halogen

43 24.86%
  • HID

46 26.59%
  • LED

96 55.49%
  • Looking to buy halogen or HID

7 4.05%
  • Looking to buy LED

29 16.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    swag ho Administrator

What lights do you use?

Poll time please.
    IPA will save America

"Its All Good"
    I use Light n Motion.... The new LED lights from Lupine look magic. http://www.lupine.de/

Dam they cost some bucks though. 1400 on the power meter though, dam thats some grunt...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Been using NR Rage for close to a year. I don't have much to compare it to, but I'm happy with it. The battery is on the heavy side, but I'm getting really good burn time out of it (although I've never pushed it to complete drain, I've ridden 2h non-stop and never had problems)
    "Early bird gets the worm", but the second mouse gets the cheese...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    How about adding a "Looking to make LED" option? (Same for halogen?)

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Have four sets of AY UP! lights which are still doing a great job - two Luxeon III based ones and two Cree XRE based sets.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    AY-UP's and very pleased with them

Capricious youth...
    I'm running an Exposure Enduro Maxx for my handle-bar light.

And as soon as I open my Christmas present from my fiance', I'll also be running a Nite Hawk AL headlamp. It's 400 lumens, and while the beam is really more of a spot light than a broad light, it'll work just fine for seeing around corners.

to Exposure and their distributor, Ibex Sports.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Used the L&M ARC- awesome HID. Now I use the Lupines- awesome LEDs. I have the Betty-Wilma on a bar-helmet setup. I think I ride more at night now. Well, days are pretty short so I have to. The Lupines are amazing. Thanks to Todd@gretnabikes and Larry@mtnhighcyclery.com for some great advice and great deals.

Flaccid Member
    Trail-Tech MR-11 kit complete from Trail-Tech , Flood reflector with the Welsh Allyn 13W HID. Only $200. Awesome HID. I'm working on building a custom Cree 3 LED that will be used for a helmet mount.
    Last edited by Boyonadyke; 12-11-2007 at 07:53 AM.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Home made LED from Cutter / LuxDrive mounted on the bars.

Cree Q5 triple (MR16) w/ spot lens mounted in a modified MAG housing. $150 complete w/ batteries, 4+ hrs run time.

Soon to complete a second setup Cree Q5 triple for the helmet (MR11).

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    Does the opinion of a road commuter count? I use a pair of DiNotte LED lights, one wide, the other narrow beam, both on the bars. The current 200L is the shiznit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Jet HID Blast on the bar
    L&M HID on the helmet

Just got a DiNotte 140L for the tail and a 200L on the bar.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Own:

Jetlites 6V on my helmet
    Jetlites 13V on my bars

Looking to buy:

At least a nice LED for my helmet, but maybe both. I like the sound of the Enduro lights.

I sure wish I knew how these compaired to my 6V halogen...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A buddy uses the 6V Jet halogen. The Enduro is pretty close to the Wilma (which I have) and there is little comparison. Even the Stella 180L seems to be brighter and wider than the 6V Jet and my Wilma drowns out the 180L. So the Enduro or Wilma on the bar would be around four times the light that your 6V Jet produces.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a first generation N.R. HID. Have had no problems with it.I use it on my helmet,but I don't like how heavy it is . It also washes out the trail,makes it hard to see roots.I have a spot bulb and a flood bulb. Flood is too wide and spot is too narrow for my taste. A buddy has a Lupine and it is inbetween my two bulbs,I think it is perfect. But too much money. Want to get a LED for my bar and maybe my helmet also.Not sure what to buy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I use both an L&M ARC and a Dinotte 600L narrow beam. Both on the bar. Both aimed high. > 200 ft of visibility. It's a beautiful combination.

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    6V Jets on bar & hat. No complaints-how much brightness do you actually need?
    Also, the streets are full of horizontal dropouts...

BSNYC

mtbr member
    I got a Headstrong XLA halogen based light (which I dig), and I just picked up a Princeton Tec Switchback 3 LED jobber that I have not used yet, but it seems hella bright!

Also have an old Cygolite 25w Explorer but lost the bar mount clip thing and Cygolite ignores my emails
    Crankfire.com / New Englandish Mountain Biking Community

swag ho Administrator
    This poll exists too sitewide on mtbr.

http://www.mtbr.com/polls/polls.asp?...2&view=results

The results are quite different for LED usage and intent to buy.

I think the demographic that visits the light tech forum is more aware of the paradigm shift that is occuring in bike light technology.

deep huh
    fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The ones who visit this forum are looking for more info- primarily on LEDs. They are probably far more informed on the latest lights and specifically on LEDs. It's a different story on the trails. Most still use HIDs and those will probably start moving over after seeing LEDs on the trails, hearing about them, reading about them, or seeing them at the shop.

HIDs are still very popular while Halogen fans form a pretty loyal niche that keeps companies like Turbocat in business.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by quaffimodo
    That's actually a good question. You need a lot of light if:
    - you don't like riding in the dark
    - your trails have a lot of obstacles
    - you like to go fast at night
    - your friends have very bright lights.

Some people like riding in the dark and the different experience it provides. Some folks ride in the dark out of necessity, since there's just not enough daylight this season.

If your riding partners have very bright lights, it makes your eyes adjust and you cannot see your own lights. It aggravates low light sources I think.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by quaffimodo
    While I think my 6V Jetlite is bright enough on high, I don't like the fact that the battery can't power it long enough for a regular ride. When I start using different light levels, the 6V just doesn't provide enough light.

trail rat
    Defective poll.

L&M HID NiMH (bars)
    CatEye Triple Shot LED (bars)
    Choice depends on technical terrain (HID) or runtime (LED) priority.

CatEye Double Shot LED (helmet)

Various Fenix, LumaPower, HuntLight Cree LED flashlights on bars and/or helmet for getting out of town at dawn or safely home at sunset; also work for many road rides at night where reach is important and spill is not.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    This poll exists too sitewide on mtbr.

http://www.mtbr.com/polls/polls.asp?...2&view=results

The results are quite different for LED usage and intent to buy.

I think the demographic that visits the light tech forum is more aware of the paradigm shift that is occuring in bike light technology.

deep huh
    fc
    The site-wide poll only allows one selection - that will skew the results too. The poll on this thread allows multiple selections

Dr Gadget is IN
    Well down the road to roll-yer-own with LEDs. Started with 1st gen cateye double/tripleshots, which are now upgraded with SSC P4s. Tripleshot with stock power (700mA) and doubleshot with buckpuck at 1A. Nice. But I'm gathering the parts and will be rolling up some SSC P4 quads next.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast