mtbr member
    Jun 2006

What LED's in police light bars??

What LED's do they use in police light bars? Those things are BRIGHT!

I can't seem to find any info online, so I thought I'd check here.

Anybody know?

PRETENDURO
    I started to research this back in 2008 when I started building my own bike lights, but the manufacturers of the different light bars don’t actually state which LEDs are actually being used in each unit.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    A whole lotta crees
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Rep Power Infinity +2
    I was going to say red and blue ones

A lot of the 4WD bars I had seen even 12 months ago used the Cree MCE but I have no idea what they are using now. Remember also that even crappy blue leds seem really bright to us due to our perception of the colour spectrum.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Safety lighting manufacturer Whelen seems to have their own line of LED's - but they don't quote who is making the emitters themselves. Although at the volume of product a company like that requires (they do every type of emergency/safety/motorsport lighting) - they very well could have their own factory somewhere cranking out product to their own specs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Given that they are flashing, not constantly on, I wonder if they are being at a higher power consumption than they could take under continuous operation. There doesn't seem to be much effort at heat sinking them that I've noticed though they may just be built strong enough that there's a lot of thermal mass.
    The takedown and alley lights are halogen, not LEDs (though that may be a cost thing).
    Last edited by Surestick Malone; 01-08-2013 at 03:55 PM.

banned
    Aug 2012
    I doubt you'd find a battery to drive the array
    911EP | Galaxy® & Galaxy Elite®
    http://www.911ep.com/PDF/Galaxy_Elite_Schematic.pdf
    Fuse = 35 amps + 12 amps per 100 watts of Take Down power for the large model's.

Can't find the brand, but.............
    Math tells me the LED's are nothing special ... 62 total LED's, plus some Halogens (Take Down Power).

35/62 = A bit over .5 amps per LED ... And I'm sure that includes a safety factor.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    We will never give our secrets for our lights out!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    I doubt you'd find a battery to drive the array
    911EP | Galaxy® & Galaxy Elite®
    http://www.911ep.com/PDF/Galaxy_Elite_Schematic.pdf
    Fuse = 35 amps + 12 amps per 100 watts of Take Down power for the large model's.

Can't find the brand, but.............
    Math tells me the LED's are nothing special ... 62 total LED's, plus some Halogens (Take Down Power).

35/62 = A bit over .5 amps per LED ... And I'm sure that includes a safety factor.
    The LEDs aren't all on at the same time, they alternate red and blue (and if memory serves they alternate sides too) so it should work out to slightly more than one or two amps per LED depending on if half (all the LEDs of one color) or a quarter (all of one color on one side) of the LEDs are on at once.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Surestick Malone View Post
    The LEDs aren't all on at the same time, they alternate red and blue (and if memory serves they alternate sides too) so it should work out to slightly more than one or two amps per LED depending on if half (all the LEDs of one color) or a quarter (all of one color on one side) of the LEDs are on at once.
    You might be right, but.............

The circuit has a fuse recommendation of 35 amps for the LED's ... If you turn them all on at once, the best they can draw is .5 amps.

That would be borderline failure, and I see nothing in the literature and/or switch arrangement wiring that says you can't turn them all on at the same time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    all i can comment on is what i have...the whole bar is LED and my takedowns and alley lights are LED not halogen. Older LED bars did have different bulbs for the takedowns and alleys. I can set different patterns that fash both side at same time meaning they are all on at the same time. Super super bright and i love em when working busy highways...

i know im new here and im just commenting on what i have. that said keep the cop bashing to yourself please...