mtbr member
    Mar 2013

What to do with these lights

Looks like they are Sigma Sport Mirage X.

Battery does not work anymore and no charger. I got these for free and was curious what to do with them?

Mod them and add leds and custom battery pack?

Open to suggestions. Thanks

What to do with these lights-2013-03-23082740_zps0260b3b9.jpgWhat to do with these lights-2013-03-23084144_zpsde89b29a.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    They look like HID, it doesn't make sense to spend loads of time modifying for LED. Much better to stick with the HID and fix the battery and charger which could be achieved relatively easily and cheaply.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    any suggestions on a new battery pack and charger?

mtbr member

Re: What to do with these lights

Batteries USA can rebuild some battery packs you can check with them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I would be shocked if those are HID lights. They look like old halogens, which are probably 12V. I'm kind of in the same boat, as I've got 2 sets of old Night Suns that I plan to convert to LED when they finally die. In your case, you need to know if the bulbs are 6V or 12V (if they really are halogens). You can find out by using a little 9V battery - if the bulbs produce a dim yellow glow at 9V, they're probably 12V, but if they're pretty bright they may be 6V. If they don't light at all, they may be HIDs and you need to hold down the switch to see if they've got a pre-start sequence to go through before they light up. If they still don't light up, I'd be brave and get a 13.2V battery, and the needed connectors, from one of the online sites. I've got a couple 13.2V NiMH "water bottle" battery packs from batteryspace.com, 5.0Ah and they recharge from dead while I'm at work (no NiCd 16-hour charge times!) so I can ride home at the end of the day. Yes, these packs are bulky and heavy, but it feels GREAT to hit the high beam three hours into a night ride and get solid light for the entire descent - and for the next twelve miles of pavement between the bottom of the fire road and home, as well. Or you could open up the light heads to pull the bulbs and see if they've got "12V" on the bases. Don't touch the glass part of the bulbs, that can crack even halogens. Good luck.

mtbr member
    What is the body made from, plastic or Ali?
    If it's Ali then make 2 tight fitting Ali heatsinks to mount a XM-L2 on. Replace the two reflectors with suitable optics. Possible one spot one medium beam.
    Stick an lflex driver in there..or one in each side with a separate 3.7v battery pack for each led.

Open them up and take some pics of inside so we can see how much space there is..

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    the bulbs are 5 and 20w 6V, plastic housings. Some room inside the housing. Any other thoughts? ie is it worth doing anything with these?

What to do with these lights-2013-04-21211952_zpsbae0f20f.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Plastic housing is worthless for LED conversion. If you want to use them, put together a new battery and use as is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just use them as god intended. Modifying an existing design is usually massively time consuming and not worth it unless you get some kind of sick pleasure from it.
    If you need a lot of light for night time trail riding, these will probably fall short. If you just want a light for the occasional dark section on your commute home then they are probably fine.