Whiskey Wheels

What to do with old NR HID's?

I've got 3 heads that all work, but my two remaining batteries are toast. Have 3 chargers as well.
    Night riding has lost it's novelty for me but I'd hate to see these once top of the line lights collect dust. Is there a market for this stuff? e-bay?
    SingleTracks and SingleMalts... mm mm good!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    There's always a market! The question is whether the current market price is enough for you to part with the lights. Just for craps and giggles... What would you be looking to get? Are they 6 or 12 volt lights?

Whiskey Wheels
    The HID's are "12" volt. 2 of the heads are old style w/o any geegaws, the third is a later model with a battery indicator in the switch and 3 LED's on the bottom (supposed to get you home in the event of a failure). I forget the marketing names NR gave them (Blowtorch maybe?). All the leads and connectors are good. I remember paying a crapload for them but what is the market today? I saw some on e-bay last year go for pennies on the dollar.
    SingleTracks and SingleMalts... mm mm good!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The batteries cost a small fortune compared to what current LED system batteries sell for now. I have one guy in our night riding crew that continues using his, and when it work, it's great, but it's also cut out on him 2x in the last couple of months. He's sent it back 2X and paid enough $$$ to have bought 10 complete setups of the cheap china-bay XML clones.

If your heads work - you might get a little cash for someone trying to keep thiers running, but the more common issue is the one you've stated - the batteries are tired or completely shot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have a fair amount of experience with HID lights from building my own back in the day. I won't go into details since you can get that from the light history thread in my signature if you're interested. Pretty much all HID lights are built from the same basic components originally created by Welch Allyn. As a result, I ended up working on a ton of Nite Rider and L&M lights as well.

As much as I hate to say it, because I really loved those lights, Adrenalnjunky is right....their day has passed. The parts to fix the light heads themselves are too expensive and the cost of batteries is too much when the batteries die. You have to keep in mind that LEDs are almost twice as efficient now compared to HID. So for the same amount of light and runtime, you have to buy and carry nearly double the batteries. The HID lights are also much more complex and the both the bulb and ballast have a lifetime based on hours of burntime measured in the 500-1000 hour range. The Niterider lights in particular seemed to get flaky with some age and when that happened you usually have to replace both the bulb and ballast to get back to a consistently reliable light. My best guess as to why the Niterider lights tended to get flaky with age is the plastic case doesn't dissipate heat all that well. I never had as much trouble with my lights, but they used aluminum housings that helped keep the bulb and ballast cool.

Because the parts in the lights have a finite life, I don't think there's much of a market for used ones for parts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My Storm still works well, but the $34 eBay XM-L I bought is just as bright or more so. I'll keep riding it until it dies, then pop in some LEDs into the housing. It's paid for, it works, the head is nice, and some day it will be a good LED shell.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm in the same boat.
    My 2005ish Niterider Moab is having switch issues and the battery lasts about 1.5 on high.A call to NR got me a guesstimate of $40 labor + $35 switch + possible $40 circuit board....and then there's the battery.
    I also posted on here and was told it was a lost cause.
    For about $120....I bought 2 clone systems and a extra battery
    I might put the head on Ebay as parts only and see what happens