mtbr member
    Oct 2009

What chance a B3flex?

Ok, sticking my head above the parapet here. Be gentle with me George

Thinking about future builds and it kinda seems that the B2flex has been made obsolete by the XML. Don't get me wrong, its a great driver but suddenly 1.5A seems so last year! I agree two or three XML's driven at 1.5A will produce light levels we could only dream about even six months ago, but it seems a bit of a waste not to drive them harder.

So, the B2flex is no longer the driver of choice.

Options are therefore the not-yet-released Lflex, which promises a nice compact size and will be great for helmet lamps with one or two LEDs, as George himself says. But its got its limits and is not suitable for, say, a triple bar light driven off a 14.8v battery.

Or the H6flex which is a beast of a thing capable of driving something like 6A but is OTT in size, output and cost terms for my needs and I suspect many others.

So, there's a gap for a 3A buck driver with all the flex features we know and love. Personally I'd ideally like it to be 20mm dia like the Lflex but George made it very clear this is unrealistic. 25mm is OK and I'm not fussed whether its single or double sided as long as the heatsinking is clear.

I realise there are probably very good reasons why this isn't possible but I thought I'd raise it.

I'm now going into hiding for a while

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Me to; me three. I gots me fireproof undies on. I be ok! James

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Oh, I wasn't aware that hipflex is discontinued. Good that I still have one

mtbr member
    on the flipside, the h6flex has you covered if the next latest or greatest needs >3A. Is the extra 5mm in diameter that big a deal though? I agree that it'd be nice if it was smaller, but even the b2flex isn't easy to get into a lot of housings (hence some of the excitement over the lflex).

I'm wondering how many sales the lflex will take away from both the b2flex and h6flex as you don't see an awful lot of 3+ LED builds, even on here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The LFlex is suited to 1 LED/ 1 li-ion or maybe 2 LED / 2 li-ion. Above that, power losses become extreme at high currents and the b2flex/h6flex being true buck drivers are the way to go, especially with larger battery packs and longer run times.

A 3A driver (true buck) is not easy to fit into a small diameter. Once you get into that 2A area and above you are pushed into an external FET solution. So, all of a sudden board real estate and number of components jumps pretty dramatically.

From my perspective I can't afford to inventory and run a large number of different boards through an assembly house. So, the b2flex covers the lower current spectrum and the h6flex covers the high current. Having an in-between board doesn't make financial sense.

The hipflex was discontinued because the h6flex is a superset and is actually 0.1" smaller in diameter.

All that said, I obviously keep an eye out on LED build trends to see what driver would fill a large hole. LED driver chips are improving and so what isn't feasible today because possible tomorrow.

The b2flex is hardly obsolete due to the XML - there a many escellent XPG lights and a nice selection of optics that keeps the 1.5A or lower market viable.

Anyhow, we'll see how the LFlex does and how the XML lights take off and maybe a b3flex will appear later in the year.

cheers,
    george.

recognize the slowness
    George you are the man!!

Keep up the good work.

JB
    "mountain biking and flyfishing, what more do you want?" - Yeah, I said it

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Cheers George. Thanks for the honest reply and I understand there is a limit to how much you can do at one time. Keep up the good work, we do appreciate it.