Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,681

    Waterbottle mount battery holder...

    Waterbottle mount battery holder:

    I just bent this aluminum strap into a rectangle and drilled a couple holes. Fits right on the bottle bosses and will hold this LiMnNi fatty pack nice'n'tight. I desoldered this pack to put a longer cord on it since it's gonna be my bar mount pack. I'll plasti-dip it tonight after my ride.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,681
    The holder worked perfectly! No rattle, no brushing my calves against it...perfect! Now the LiMnNi is dipped and drying.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: piesoup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    448
    What a brilliantly simple idea!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    94
    Pictures?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,681



  6. #6
    Lets RIDE!
    Reputation: Jim Z in VT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,548
    Is that a mushroom growing on your top tube? You need to ride that thing more....a rolling bike gathers no fungus

    Nice mount idea....I might try something similar for my 8xAA pack. Been keeping it under the seat in a tiny wedge bag.

    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Z in VT
    Is that a mushroom growing on your top tube? You need to ride that thing more....a rolling bike gathers no fungus

    Nice mount idea....I might try something similar for my 8xAA pack. Been keeping it under the seat in a tiny wedge bag.
    LOL...a towel.

  8. #8
    www.hahntronix.com
    Reputation: mhahn@hvc.rr.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    256
    I've had pretty good luck with an L shaped bracket made from 1 inch by 1/16 aluminum flat stock. Put a 1/2 to 1 inch bottom on the L. The stuff is easy to bend by hand in a decent vise.

    Drill two holes for bolting it to the water bottle mounts. You can countersink them if you want a flat surface. I just use regular bottle bracket bolts and let them stick out a bit.

    The above works really well with my 9.6V 5AH NiMh battery (8 cells stacked 4 on a side) and would probably work pretty well with 4 Li-Ion 18650s stacked 2 on a side, or a dual cell battery like yours. Sit the battery on the bottom leg of the L, and wrap a nice velcro strap around the battery, bracket, and whichever bike tube you mount the bracket on. I like the seat tube, 'cause I run a wire to my home-made tail-light and another to the headlight.

    I usually get away with a single 1 inch wide velcro cinch strap, but you could use 2 if you plan on jumping off boulders in the dark

    Your holder looks pretty solid. I'd still consider using a velcro strap to make sure the battery doesn't fall out the side (it looked like you used one in the initial picture).

    The big advantage to the L design is you can use a bunch of different battery types without having to change the bracket.

    Mark
    Nimium est melior!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by mhahn@hvc.rr.com
    I've had pretty good luck with an L shaped bracket made from 1 inch by 1/16 aluminum flat stock. Put a 1/2 to 1 inch bottom on the L. The stuff is easy to bend by hand in a decent vise.

    Drill two holes for bolting it to the water bottle mounts. You can countersink them if you want a flat surface. I just use regular bottle bracket bolts and let them stick out a bit.

    The above works really well with my 9.6V 5AH NiMh battery (8 cells stacked 4 on a side) and would probably work pretty well with 4 Li-Ion 18650s stacked 2 on a side, or a dual cell battery like yours. Sit the battery on the bottom leg of the L, and wrap a nice velcro strap around the battery, bracket, and whichever bike tube you mount the bracket on. I like the seat tube, 'cause I run a wire to my home-made tail-light and another to the headlight.

    I usually get away with a single 1 inch wide velcro cinch strap, but you could use 2 if you plan on jumping off boulders in the dark

    Your holder looks pretty solid. I'd still consider using a velcro strap to make sure the battery doesn't fall out the side (it looked like you used one in the initial picture).

    The big advantage to the L design is you can use a bunch of different battery types without having to change the bracket.

    Mark
    Re: velcro...

    This pack isn't going anywhere.


    I used it initially b/c the pack was shrink wrapped and slick. Now that it's got a cushiony tacky rubber coating...it's 100% static.

  10. #10
    At Work
    Reputation: sxr-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,505
    definately use a velcro strap.
    2009 Titus FTM

    2009 Gary Fisher Rig

    1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,681
    You guys don't seem to understand. The battery doesn't slip in and out of the holder. I have to remove one mount screw and hold it out to get the battery in and out. The part where the holder goes around the pack is slightly concave/recessed, so when the thing is clamped down...I can't budge it with my hands at all. No strap needed.

  12. #12
    Carbon8er
    Reputation: El34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,158
    To me, the whole unit it looks light enough to not need any sort of strap.
    Looks like the screw can handle it just fine, from what I can tell from here anyway.

    (as long as the screw stays tight, that is.)

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Student Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,245
    Does the carrier buzz when it's empty, or do you just remove the whole unit when it's charging and not in use? Are you using rubber grommets or o-rings to isolate the vibration (if there is any)?
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

  14. #14
    At Work
    Reputation: sxr-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,505
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    You guys don't seem to understand. The battery doesn't slip in and out of the holder. I have to remove one mount screw and hold it out to get the battery in and out. The part where the holder goes around the pack is slightly concave/recessed, so when the thing is clamped down...I can't budge it with my hands at all. No strap needed.
    did not even notice that..........NICE.
    2009 Titus FTM

    2009 Gary Fisher Rig

    1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    788
    Quote Originally Posted by El34
    To me, the whole unit it looks light enough to not need any sort of strap.
    Looks like the screw can handle it just fine, from what I can tell from here anyway.

    (as long as the screw stays tight, that is.)
    It looks like it would chatter and hit the frame from trail vibrations. I would definitly put something soft between it and the frame then strap it down so it doesn't rub the finish off.

    Personally I wouldn't bolt my battery to the bike. Sure it's secure, but you need tools to remove it. I'd rather have a velcro strap I can easily take off without tools.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,681
    Well I don't know if you can see it, but there are two screws holding the mount on. One is a flat head screw that sits flush...the other is on the outside. The mount doesn't even touch the frame. See the closeup? It is a few thousanths off the frame and sits against the bottle bosses.

    No chatter, no rattle. I can't handle that noisy crap.

    Very quiet and simple.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •