mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Want to build camping LED light

Hi,

I Want to build camping LED light around 5 watt.

runtime may be 15 min at a stretch

I am quite new for hands on exp.

So let me know what are the components will be best.

Thanks,
    BT

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    15 minutes? thats not too long,
    What batteries to want to use?
    What size is the light to be?

Have alook around the posts there is alot of diy lights which will give you and idea of the parts etc, but remember this is a mtb forum so all the lights here are for bikes.

Ace.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    thanks,

source will be different type.

2X18650 battery or 9 volt battery or may be usb power.

size, small not very big.

-BT

Dinner for wolves
    Why not design around AA or AAA batteries, that way you can run to the nearest store for replacement batteries in an emergency. Lord knows there are always emergencies when I go camping. Are you looking to build a headlight or a handheld? If it is a headlight, consider strings of LEDs running at lower amperage in order to heat buildup. Lastly, if you are new to this, the buckpuck/micropuck drivers are super simple to set up and bombproof.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I will consider, AA/ AAA batteries. I will make handheld light.

let me know your suggestion, which LED light I can choose (may be 3 r2 or a mce or p7).

What about heatsink, how big I need for 15-20 min of running.

I may buy ledil REFLECTORS or lens.

what else I need?

any other advice / suggestion?

BT

Do It Yourself
    A torch or headlamp? Either way, there is no reason start from scratch. Buy a cheapo and upgrade the LED.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    what sort of beam do you want?
    im guessing a wide one to light you your caming area? but is you will be using more then one LED a mix of flood and throw?
    as homebrew said what form is the light to be in? maybe a basic sketch so we could put you in the right diarection?

Ace.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    beam length is not that much important. Yes, the light is camping. I am OK for 1-3 LED. I just need to know which LED will be OK and also about the heatsink.

BT

mtbr member
    What I just did: I took one of my P-7 torches and made a camp light out of it in 10 minutes.
    I took a section out of an old Walmart plastic bag ( thin white translucent plastic ) and made a small 3" cone out of it and then O-ringed it to the torch head. I had no idea how well it was going to work. Even on the lowest setting it lights up the whole room. The output is almost too bright. On high it's like looking at a bare 100watt halogen bulb!

Anyway, the P-7 torch will tail stand but is not too stable. Shouldn't be too hard to make a more stable base though. Not to mention it could be hung by bending a piece of old coat hanger to use as a hook. No reason this couldn't work with almost any good LED torch...simple, cheap. Next time I go camping I'll likely leave the Coleman lantern home.