mtbr member

Waiven RLT technology

I'm not sure if anyone's seen this before, but it reminded me of Troutie, Brad and Ahorton's efforts with collars over XM-Ls for aspherics:

Wavien, Inc. - CBT 90 – RLT

Lot's of marketing mumbo jumbo going on, but it looks like a similar concept - capturing the wide angle light and bouncing it around inside something reflective until it comes out the front. Anyone up for inverting a parabolic reflector over a XM-L and then sticking an aspheric on top?

That is, unless I'm just rehashing stuff that's already be done and discarded

mtbr member
    May 2005
    IIRC, Wavien was linked in that old thread.

mtbr member
    It looks quite good and Saabluster over on CPF has a new light using licensed tech from Wavien
    got the world record for a led thrower very impressive
    But no info kicking around as to how to implement it apart from vague pics

there are a few videos on you tube too

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I was upset that we never got it working particularly well.

More time and money thrown at it might help. I'm interested to see what others manage.

Of course Saabluster is the best, and he invests heavily to get the best gear.

mtbr member
    Yes you are right Ash needed more time and probably money
    to buy one of their Rlt leds and study how it works .

I looked at one of the youtube videos and got a brief glimpse of a collar

$66 us. for aRLT XML

Rep Power Infinity +2
    I always would have liked to have a made a wavien collar from glass with a reflective coating capable of allowing light through it, and captured by a regular collimating lens whilst sending light back onto the LED die to increase it's brightness.

Obviously the collimating lens would be a combination aspheric type if that makes any sense.

mtbr member
    my take on it is that it's only really applicable to aspheric/ direct to fiber type applications and that it works by bouncing around side scatter until it comes out in the direction you want. The little reading I've done on reabsorption/ re-emission mostly talks about it reducing efficiency by increasing the temperature of the phosphor, which is why LED makers fight so hard to avoid it (using silicon domes to reduce internal reflection within the phosphor).

I'd just stick one of those 20mm MC-E reflectors (what the hell were they called?) upended over the LED and see what effect it has. I have one in my box of bits if anyone wants it for an experiment?