Master Gardener

VistaLite Night Sticks batteries toast...

I have a set of 3 lamps/3 NiMH batteries, VistaLite circa 1998-2000. Used them a bunch for a few years, then put them away for 7-8 years.

I need them now for a 24 hour race in February and have been riding with them at night the past few weeks. The batteries are toast. I used to get 1:30-2:00 from each battery (w/ 15 watt lamps)... now I'm getting 20-30 minutes.

My question: Can I find/use another set of batteries for these same lamps? I just can't afford a new light set right now. What are my options?

Thanks in advance-

Greg

aka RossC
    I have an old nightstick at home and the battery is in the same sad state. There is no markings on the battery to indicate what voltage it is. I left it on the charger which is marked as 7.2 v overnight and it showed 6.8v in the morning.

My question is this.... are the vistalight batteries 6 v or 7.2? I always thought they were an overvolted 6v bulb.

Master Gardener
    Thanks, 1speed. Two questions:

I'm an electrical dunce. If I bought those batteries, I'd just rewire the plugs on my lights now to fit on there?

question #2... can I run these lamps I have on a different battery (not night stick-style... something of a more traditional shape, like on the Minewts, etc? How would I know which batteries would power these lamps? I'd need a new charger, right? Or not?

Greg

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

nightstick batteries

If you must have nightsticks, try e-bay. Or batteryspace. And yes, vistalites are overvolted, meaning that the fully charged sticks should measure ~ 7.2 V. You could also put together a pack from multiples of six series wired nmih cells. I currently run my helmet light (15w) with 12-2200mah batteries, 6 in series by 2 sets in parallel and get tons of light and good run time. Takes time to charge as they have to be removed to be charged. I wonder if anyone has tried running the wires through the frame and dropping the stick down the seat tube.
    rufusbduck

Master Gardener
    Thanks, scooterbuck. I appreciate the info.

I broke down and bought a new set of Niterider LEDs. Got the MiNewt Mini and the Dual for $200 total and I'm stoked.

Maybe I'll find a use for these 3 15-watt Vista Lite HID lamps one day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

vistalite stuff

Isn't the internet great? I just finished a bike build with parts that came from all over the place. Anyway, I am interested in acquiring vistalite parts, lamps, housings, splitter cords, battery holders, etc. If you are interested in paying off your new lights by selling some old stuff I'm interested in buying. Partly I want to see if I can cram a p7, driver, and a descent heat sink into one of those little housings, maybe with some little pinfin sinks on the outside as well. Let me know if you wish. e-mail is scooterbuck@att.net

Thanks
    -Scott
    rufusbduck

Master Gardener
    Email sent, Scott.

XC rider

Good for racing?

I'm doing a night race in Fresno. Would the Night stick be a good light to use?

The race should be an hour long. It is the Lou night race.

http://www.sickpromotions.net
    ccorc.org