mtbr member

Vistalite 5w- worth modding?

I inherited this light-

i can't get it to work though. not sure if the batteries are dead, the bulbs are burned out, or both. anything worthwhile I can do with it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    hi
    i would have a crack at fitting some leds

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If the light heads are made of ali, then you could mod your lights like Marwis. Battery packs could also be disassembled and rebuilt wit some LiIon cells regarding the dimensions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Not sure if it's worth it. Those lights were produced 8-10 years ago. The batteries will probably need to be replaced. The head units will need new LEDs. Not sure if the current driver will work with the new stuff. If you want lighter, more powerful, longer lasting batteries, you'll need a new charger and will probably make your own battery pack.

If you're willing to mod this light, would you be willing to build your own light? You may end up investing enough time and money into modifying this light, that it would have been better to build a custom light, with all the features you want.

There's an article here on the Vistalite 5W that might be helpful.
    Last edited by ThinkBike; 02-05-2012 at 10:58 AM.

mtbr member
    meh, probably not worth the trouble then. if anyone wants this light and all the parts I have for it to experiment, i'll send it to you if you cover shipping costs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'll take it all if you're willing to ship to Slovenia.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have an old 5w. Its not worth modding really. If it were me and the batteries worked, I'd source a LED bulb replacement. Tricky as they are mr11 fitting. Or if the bulbs are good, get new batteries and overvolt it.

SANCTUS
    I have this light, retired it years ago since the batteries went out of production.Purchased this unit a few years ago and have not looked back.http://www.turbocatusa.com/products.html

SANCTUS
    How much is shipping to Slovenia? I will give you what I have, the batteries were disposed of years ago.I will go up in the attic tommorow and confirm what I saved

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Dunno about the shipping. You'd have to ask at the post office.

If it's not the entire set, I wouldn't bother modding it. I'd only take the light head, battery enclosure with all the cabling and remote switch.