mtbr member

Very interesting offering from cutters coming soon

Myself and I believe a few others have been talking to Mark at Cutters about the seven up boards with a driver on board .
    This I think will make Certainly my light smaller and better to handle the thermal load the 7 up presents and a whole lot easier to build .

Here is a copy of a mail just in from Mark showing the Specs of this soon to be available board , I can see it being a winner

Hi Chris

Something to wet the whistle

Still getting the track work done for the Seven. Its looking good though nearly done.

the triple will need some work to get it in to the space.

Specs for the seven.

Two modes all 7 or 3 central in a row. set by briefly interrupting the power.

Can run up to 1000mA per XPG (this would be close to the max but you can specify a reasonable range when ordering)

Thermal regulation with dimming at 80C as per most of my designs.

11 to 20V operation (subject to sample testing)

8V operation at reduced power level (4 LED operating)

Same physical diameter as optic with space for two M3 mounting holes.

Customisation is available but I think we should talk about MOQ on custom jobs.

This would include but is not limited to:-

Under voltage shut down or reduced power mode.

Voltage warning with a blink.

Different power levels.

Flash modes.

A Red/Blue police/emergency version (often referred to as a wig/wag) With appropriate flashing mode.

Amber warning version.

And I believe there to be a redesign of their single board to accomadate the Regina Reflector And this one I am also keen to get hold of some

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    I take it this is the single board?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen
    do you have a link to the single board?

Yep HERE

mtbr member
    Please - boost the input voltage to 21 V so that we can run 5s li ion....
    As long as the minimum drive current is 350mA, the vf of the xpg is 21v so you'll be ok.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    Thanks, of course it was the last item on the search results.

do you think that picture is the 12mm version? I have some Reginas that need a home, but I was about to order from Cutter. I'm wondering if the 16mm single would adapt.

mtbr member
    Thanks, of course it was the last item on the search results.

do you think that picture is the 12mm version? I have some Reginas that need a home, but I was about to order from Cutter. I'm wondering if the 16mm single would adapt.
    No it needs a clear 10 with the led in the centre for it to sit flush over the led
    and I cant see modding the base of the regina working best to wait for the right board or go with a bare star and driver ( the old fashioned way )

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Cool!!

mtbr member
    I take it this is the single board?
    just compare this

and this

at nearly the same price BTW!

from the first glance the cutter's shortcommings are:
    - very narrow input voltage range. Can be higher
    - large board
    - no slot for the wire, impossible to pack into a 15mm tube
    - wires soldered directly to the PCB
    - FR4 based laminate, low thermal conductivity

I suspect that guys are trying to copy my tripple which is already released with modes and customization which starts from 1pcs.

Well. I better wait for their 7UP and after this I'll release another board. But now I keep it in secret.

mtbr member
    But neither board can take a Regina Reflector
    I would rather have a 20 mm round board that can and also by having the extra space gives it more flexibility to use other optics too .

I looked at both yours and Cutters driver on board singles and for the very reason that optic choice was limited discounted buying either so maybe you should also do a 20 mm board that will take sensible optics

I Like what you are doing Quazzle and competition can only be good for us the consumer .

so keeping secrets is hardly the way to sell something surly you need to build a demand for your new products
    But Keep up the good work Fella

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm building my dual Regina with stars and a buckpuck from ledsupply.com for that very reason. I will spend approx $30-35 USD on two stars and a buckpuck...but would gladly spend $66 on the integrated L-series if it would fit the reflector. I really don't care if it's 20mm either. Carrying a 22mm light versus a 17mm light really isn't any difference for a biker. I'm sure it's huge for "scale" R/C applications, but I am not willing to reduce my optics even further from the 20mm Carclo that I put in the little Hex light. I like it...I'm just totally satisfied that I chose not to do the Tina.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I feel that since the li-ion batteries come in multiples of 4.2V (fresh off charger), that the upper voltage limit for a driver should be 21, 25.2, etc. I'm NOT going to be using NiMh, I can't tune the battery at 1.2V increments. It's sad when the drivers have a 20V limit rather than a 21V upper limit. I want a triple XPG board with room and indexing for the Regina reflector. An integrated driver would be cool but would need lots of features; overheat, low voltage, indicator led, at least 3 modes. Possibly on the 7up's footprint.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    a few mm doesn't mean much to me either. I have a length of 30mm diameter 6061 and a length of 40mm diameter 6061. Anything smaller than that is good

help with the zip please
    Quote Originally Posted by quazzle
    I suspect that guys are trying to copy my tripple which is already released with modes and customization which starts from 1pcs.

Well. I better wait for their 7UP and after this I'll release another board. But now I keep it in secret.
    Yes, already on sale and taking peoples money but you have no stock, parts have been in transit for how long now, and you still, almost 5 months after discussions started, won't answer very basic questions about how the MC board will work. Questions I have asked at least three separate times and others have also asked.

Price, yours are $33 US each and theirs are $26 which puts yours at about 27% more expensive.

Customization, its my experience Cutters will put any LED on any board they can acquire if you ask them to, I have mixed quad boards that were done without any noticeable additional fee.

As for size comparisons, isn't yours 14.6mm and theirs 12.5mm? No doubt the quality in your pics looks better, hand soldering always looks rough and i can't comment on the other issues as I'm not an EE but lets be realistic with the comparisons. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry if that seems harsh but I'll hold on to my money until the people that want it can answer questions asked, as Cutter do, usually with in a couple of days.

PS, no I don't work for Cutters but have been a happy customer for a number of years

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    I would rather have a 20 mm round board that can and also by having the extra space gives it more flexibility to use other optics too .
    21.6mm board that seats the LXP optics(you could cut out the base of the holder). That would give versatility on beam, and do a dual board thats oblong.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26
    Yes, already on sale and taking peoples money but you have no stock, parts have been in transit for how long now, and you still, almost 5 months after discussions started, won't answer very basic questions about how the MC board will work. Questions I have asked at least three separate times and others have also asked.
    my fault in general. But again, you have asked about coupling MC boards which have been completed just now. I simply could't address your question earlier as I had no samples to test and confirm. I promise that I'll finish with the testing by tomorrow and provide you with report.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb

I looked at both yours and Cutters driver on board singles and for the very reason that optic choice was limited discounted buying either so maybe you should also do a 20 mm board that will take sensible optics

I Like what you are doing Quazzle and competition can only be good for us the consumer .

so keeping secrets is hardly the way to sell something surly you need to build a demand for your new products
    But Keep up the good work Fella
    We are modifying in the next run to take the Regina. I would say our lack of attention to optics is more a function of lack of good optics, the Regina seems to address this.

With respect to copying I think our record of LED light engine developments here and on CPF, etc speaks for itself
    Cheers
    WeLight

Cutter Electronics Pty Ltd www.cutter.com.au

help with the zip please
    Thanks Quazzle, eagerly awaiting the test results.

WeLight, any idea on when a triple would be available, ball park time frame is good enough?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Cant remember who it was but there was a post on here of a quad mc-e with integrated driver that looked fantastic and had the emitters mounted in such a way that the back of the emitter actually touched the heat sink. It was very well laid out and worked with the optic perfectly also. They get the real credit for building the first integrated light engine my book.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjay
    Cant remember who it was but there was a post on here of a quad mc-e with integrated driver that looked fantastic and had the emitters mounted in such a way that the back of the emitter actually touched the heat sink. It was very well laid out and worked with the optic perfectly also. They get the real credit for building the first integrated light engine my book.

That was cloggyabroad

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26
    Thanks Quazzle, eagerly awaiting the test results.

WeLight, any idea on when a triple would be available, ball park time frame is good enough?

Cheers
    Should have PCB's in the next 2-3 weeks, this one is less priority than the 7 up at this time
    Cheers
    WeLight

Cutter Electronics Pty Ltd www.cutter.com.au

help with the zip please
    Thanks for the reply