Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    All good. Called local westburn with part numbers and got someone that wasnt lazy. All good. Had to order from other stores, but thats fine as I imagine deals extrem is going to take abit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by markiemark79 View Post
    Thanks for making this such an easy project. It seems you know your stuff! One question, is there any alternative to LED Driver sku#57779 - $5
    as it seems to be sold out?
    Please see post #14.

Use this one sku#128269

Quote Originally Posted by machine4321
    All good. Called local westburn with part numbers and got someone that wasnt lazy. All good. Had to order from other stores, but thats fine as I imagine deals extrem is going to take abit.
    Good to hear, seems like you're all set.
    Last edited by pucked up; 10-05-2012 at 08:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    Please see post #14.

Good to hear, seems like you're all set.
    My last DX order was Aug 26th. It hit New York Aug 30. It set there for weeks - customs, apparently - I received it Sept 26. So yeah - there can be delays.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Another update.

I had a helmet mount from DX sku#32754 and took flashlight holder from DX sku#31871 cut it in half to mount it on the helmet mount. Held on with zip tie and Velcro from the flashlight holder to hold the light in place.

I can now shine the light out on to the trail without moving my head so much.

Last edited by pucked up; 10-17-2012 at 05:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Nice. I just finished my helmet mount a fe nights ago. Used a sirius sat radio mount. Turned out great. Waiting on drivers to get these finished up. Itching to get riding.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Too high IMO. Depends on your riding locations, but that's a branch catcher on the most trails I ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Too high IMO. Depends on your riding locations, but that's a branch catcher on the most trails I ride.

It is higher than what I would like, but in Southern Ont. there are not many blow downs on the trail I ride most so catching it with a branch is not an issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Mine is a bit higher. I will make a lower mount at some point but I just want to get out on the trails atthis point. Most of my trails are also pretty clear of branches.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Another shout out, these lights are great. Just got mine all done today. Had so much faith that i built them and 5 min later was on a 3 hour night ride in the rain(started just as we left ) and i wasnt stopping. No issues to report. Stayed cool and put out great light.

I am wondering if the drivers that i subbed in are really 3000ma. Specs said 2500-3000. Not sure what that meant.

Plans are to upgrade wire from the batt holders as its a bit thin for my liking and find a nice way to mount the switches. The heat shrink I had was to thick and wouldnt allow the switch to move.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    That's awesome to hear that the build worked out for you. Also that it held up in the rain! Hadn't had a chance to test it in wet weather.

The trick with the switch and heat shirking is, just get it snug enough so don't apply the heat for to long. Also make sure the switch is off so that the button is on the higher side when the heat is applied. Then fill the open ends with silicon..

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've finally found some suppliers in the UK to supply the conduit...I'll be ordering tomorrow and getting my first like underway!

wyrd bi ful rd
    "pucked up"

Cheers for sharing ...

Now I need to look for suppliers here in the UK ...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinv89 View Post
    I've finally found some suppliers in the UK to supply the conduit...I'll be ordering tomorrow and getting my first like underway!
    That awesome, keep us posted on your build.

Quote Originally Posted by chinaman View Post
    "pucked up"

Cheers for sharing ...

Now I need to look for suppliers here in the UK ...

Maybe kevin can help you out.

mtbr member
    any chance you have beam shots using just 2 batteries or even just single battery? 4 pack seems too bulky to carry on my helmet and i dont like wires hanging from my head to keep the battery in backpack. thanks
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    any chance you have beam shots using just 2 batteries or even just single battery? 4 pack seems too bulky to carry on my helmet and i dont like wires hanging from my head to keep the battery in backpack. thanks
    The driver used in the build list has a minimum input voltage of 6volts. If you're talking about lithium, a single cell wouldn't work. A pair of cells might work, but you'd have to be very careful to stay over 6volts.

The number of cells used shouldn't affect brightness as long as the driver stays in regulation.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    You could always make a pack using smaller sized cells, like 18350 or 16340.

mtbr member
    It is higher than what I would like, but in Southern Ont. there are not many blow downs on the trail I ride most so catching it with a branch is not an issue.
    Where are you in Southern Ont?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    Where are you in Southern Ont?
    East of Toronto, Pickering / Ajax area. Lots of great trails just a short drive or about an hours ride away!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Sorry I don't have a two cell pack. I do have a three cell pack, but as other have said, there is no difference in light output. Your run times will vary depending on how many cells you use. Two would be the minimum which gives you around 2hrs on high.

If you want something using only one battery, I would recommend a good flashlight.

mtbr member
    great thanks, two cells seems reasonable for helmet. btw do battery holders exist for mentioned 18350 or 16340 sizes?
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    great thanks, two cells seems reasonable for helmet. btw do battery holders exist for mentioned 18350 or 16340 sizes?
    Don't know, you'll have to search on dealextreme.com or the place you get your batteries from. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    You could use a 2 pack for the helmut. I may do the same. But I do have the 4 18650 and could carry them a extras.

Just a note. The chargers I bought are incredibly slow. Like a good 8-9 hours per pair. Thankfully I took Pucked up's advice and bought 2.

The ones I got charge 18560 and 16340. I had 16340 for another light and it just made sense. I would avoind that charger. I think I read it runs ar 550ma.

mtbr member
    East of Toronto, Pickering / Ajax area. Lots of great trails just a short drive or about an hours ride away!
    I'm in Caledon, right next to Albion Hills and Palgrave. Lots of singletrack out the door.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    If anyone is up for a dangerous night ride, come up to Owen Sound.

Some of the stuff I run into. Its about 25ft deep

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast