Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Wink Wiring the switch to the board ?

It's probably me, but can someone explain me how you wire the switch to the board and/or batteries to switch between modes ?
    I only see two wires going to the board ?

This looks like a build I can see myself completing !
    Just try to figure out how to get the aluminum stuff here in europe as these are certainly not standard available here (not even in the industry) They are typical for Canada/ North America.
    Got some contacts there though....

Thanks for sharing !

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    are the switch terminals wired directly to the + and - on the driver so in parallel with the battery?, cant really tell by the pictures how the switch was wired in.

thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hi Lavadome,

The switch is connected via the positive wire coming from the battery. Thus connecting it to the positive terminal of the driver which is the middle ring.

Hope this picture will help you out.
    [IMG][/IMG]

If you have any other questions just ask.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thx !

Now I see ...., Switch is in serie with the battery , just in the positive wire cutting the connection when operated.
    It was confusion on the earlier pictures where it looked like the switch was in parallel with the battery.

Thanks again, now try to get the parts sourced....

Lavadome

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Is the switch waterproof?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scribble79 View Post
    Is the switch waterproof?
    The switch itself is not waterproof, but I do cover it with shrink wrap and fill the ends with RTV Silicone to help prevent water from entering. This should make it more water resistant.

I have not gone out for a ride while it's raining so I have not tested how water resistance the switch or the body is. But like I said in build, I have covered all seams (body and wires) with RTV Silicone which should get you home if you're caught out in the rain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Great write up. Thanks. This will he my first light for riding. Nice affordable way to get out at night.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Great write up. Thanks. This will he my first light for riding. Nice affordable way to get out at night.
    Glad to hear that, good luck on the build. If you run into any issues post them here and I'll try to help you out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Im going to order up some parts tonight.

Only have budget for one right now. In your opinion would I be better to start with a wide or spot. I do have a pelican 7060 that is an amazing spot that I could mount to my helmet but it only has about 1.5h runtime.
    Are you in Canada?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Oh and did you use 4 batteries per light or does that run both lights.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Im going to order up some parts tonight.

Only have budget for one right now. In your opinion would I be better to start with a wide or spot. I do have a pelican 7060 that is an amazing spot that I could mount to my helmet but it only has about 1.5h runtime.
    Are you in Canada?

Oh and did you use 4 batteries per light or does that run both lights.

Thanks.
    Machine, yes I'm in Canada.

Going spot or wide will be up to you. But the optics are not that expensive so I would buy one of each and try them both. With this build it's easy to swap out the optics.

You can always carry extra batteries for the 7060 if you're planning to go for a longer ride.

Right now I'm using 4 cells per light. I go out twice for about 2hrs before charging them again. I run the lights at high for 90% of my ride. You can use one battery pack for both lights just remember it'll cut down your burn time, 2.5hrs on high before recharging. You'll also need a Y adapter for the power supply. I created one from the original wires I bought from DX sku#15234. But I have since moved to the MS clone wires sku#32751 and use sku#32753 for the Y adapter.

I'm also using a 3 cell battery pack as a friend wanted to use only 3 batteries. I haven't used them, they're more for back up or if someone new comes along and doesn't have their own lights set.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Big help. Thanks. Good call on buying both optics. I will be building acouple more when i have more funds.

I see some cheap "decent" looking lights on ebay and what not but I think I would rather build. At least I know what parts go in. I think my local westburn ruddy closed up so I hope ideal supply has the conduit.

Thanks again for the write up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Driver is out of stock. How tight was the fit in the conduit? Trying to find another to use

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    shiningbeam.com is a good source for drivers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    thanks. Didnt see anything near 3a. Closest they had was 2.8a but it was 2v-6v.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Driver is out of stock. How tight was the fit in the conduit? Trying to find another to use
    Try sku#128269 It's what I'm using for my current build. Couldn't wait for the other driver to come back into stock.

There is not much room in there. The only other driver that should fit would be from Taskled. I'll be using them in the future, but they are pricey!

You have about a 29mm wide, 26mm deep area to work with.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Awsome. Thanks again.

I guess I should order a charger as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yes, you'll need a charger. If you want to cut down your charge time get two. You will be able to charge four batteries within 3-4hrs instead of 6-8hrs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    This is a great guide. I want to update from my old 2 x P7 setup and this looks perfect. I plan to build two, one with the wider flood and one with a tighter spot as a "high beam" aimed up a bit. I plan on following your design pretty closely but my current battery back is a 4P 18650 setup so it has less voltage than yours obviously. I realize I could rewire it (and get less resistance loss in my cables and more headroom for the driver) but I prefer to keep the parallel arrangement because I feel like it's safer in this scenario since you tend to get dimming rather than sudden cut-out and I can charge the whole bundle together on a traditional 4.2V charger. I also plan on using NW emitters but that is a personal preference.

Can anyone recommend a decent (and not too $$) driver than will drive the XM-L to at least 2.0A, provide well spaced modes and ideally dim rather than cutting out on a 3.7V input?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well I cant find the aluminum fittings anywhere. Westburn is out of stock and even then they want 25.00 to ship it. I have checked all the supply stores in town and All I get is funny looks.

mtbr member
    Well I cant find the aluminum fittings anywhere. Westburn is out of stock and even then they want 25.00 to ship it. I have checked all the supply stores in town and All I get is funny looks.
    Grainger carries them mailorder. Not cheap, though...
    Edit, Fastenall carries some, too. There are local Fastenall stores that may or may not stock them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Local hardware stores don't carry them. So they will not know what you're talking about.

Where in Canada are you? Is there only one Westburne outlet in your city?

I know Fastenal carries them but this one is made from PVC. Can't find the sku for the aluminum one right now, I'll have to check when I get home.

The manufacture is hubbell-killark you can contact them and see where in your city you can go to purchase them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ontario georgian bay area. Only one westburn. I logged in to the website but they are out of stock on a few of the parts.

As it stands now.
    West burn has the 3/4 coupling
    Fastenall can get the r32
    Just need the plugs. Fastenall had none in the US

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    All the parts for the body is made by Killark which is part of Hubbell Canada. You can call them and see if there are other companies beside Westburne in your area that has stock. Toll Free: 1.800.465.7051

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for making this such an easy project. It seems you know your stuff! One question, is there any alternative to LED Driver sku#57779 - $5
    as it seems to be sold out?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast