Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12
    No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    nevermind. the answer was, yes... crazy.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    I was planning on taking the conduit to my friends lathe and machining the exterior to be a finned heatsink. 48g though, not bad.

Going to Home Depot now, right now, for the housing pieces.
    Frozen Trails... err

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    The Home Depots around here (North Texas) don't stock the aluminum conduit. You would have to go to Grainger in my area to get these parts.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    You don't really need to have it finned, I've used these lights on the hottest of nights on high and have had no issues. If you do don't go too deep.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey Pucked,
    How do you cram the driver in there? What optics are you using?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zarniwoop42 View Post
    Hey Pucked,
    How do you cram the driver in there? What optics are you using?
    I'm using a new driver now, it's the AMC7135 and there are two version that I've used. One has an output of 2.8a the other 3.04a. These are small enough to fit inside the smaller bodies. I'm not sure if the original driver from DX will fit. I'll try it when I get home.

As for optics, I'm waiting for some new optics to arrive from DNA-LED which has a 10 degree angle. The original optics from the build should fit. You may need to file the numb of the lens for it to fit the smaller R-21. You may also have to loose the optic holder.

I haven't started the build with the smaller body as I'm still waiting for parts to arrive.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    As for optics, I'm waiting for some new optics to arrive from DNA-LED which has a 10 degree angle. The original optics from the build should fit. You may need to file the numb of the lens for it to fit the smaller R-21. You may also have to loose the optic holder.
    The LED-DNA optics have a holder that should probably be used. It spaces the optic off the star by .75mm or .03". With out that space the beam get some darkish artifacts that one might find objectionable. I played with that in the shop so no outdoor experience. Sometimes things seen in a wall shot are not a problem in real use.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    No need to check the DX driver. I have the AMC7135 as well. After building lights with
    the 3/4 inch fittings I didn't think the 7135 would fit the smaller fittings.

I'm anxious to see how this comes together!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zarniwoop42 View Post
    After building lights with
    the 3/4 inch fittings I didn't think the 7135 would fit the smaller fittings.

I'm anxious to see how this comes together!
    No worries, the smaller Cup 1 has an opening of about 24mm. The AMC7135 is only about 17mm and fits inside with room to spare.

Edit:
    I mean 1/2 ALUMINUM CONDUIT COUPLING, not Cup 1.
    Last edited by pucked up; 10-03-2013 at 05:10 PM.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    No worries, the smaller Cup 1 has an opening of about 24mm. The AMC7135 is only about 17mm and fits inside with room to spare.
    Hi Pucked Up
    Got links for those drivers?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeS View Post
    Hi Pucked Up
    Got links for those drivers?
    Here you go:
    2.8a version

3.04a version
    "By Your Command"

I'm your density
    Dusted off my parts for this project (the bigger version), and in screwing the alu conduit parts together I notice the threaded interfaces are slightly loose. When the ends of the condulet and coupler meet, they can be snugged together pretty tight, but I'm not convinced they wouldn't loosen due to vibration (on the handlebars). Also, I would assume the thermal path from the close-up plug to the outer parts is pretty poor.

So I'm wondering if there's some kind of compound I can put on the threads to tighten them up a little -- preferably something that also helps with thermal exchange between the CUP and the outer bits?
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    Dusted off my parts for this project (the bigger version), and in screwing the alu conduit parts together I notice the threaded interfaces are slightly loose. When the ends of the condulet and coupler meet, they can be snugged together pretty tight, but I'm not convinced they wouldn't loosen due to vibration (on the handlebars). Also, I would assume the thermal path from the close-up plug to the outer parts is pretty poor.

So I'm wondering if there's some kind of compound I can put on the threads to tighten them up a little -- preferably something that also helps with thermal exchange between the CUP and the outer bits?
    Did you have the optics on? The R32 will clamp down on to the optics by screwing on to the cup 2 plug. Once the R32 and cup 2 is screwed doen in to the coupler everything should be nice and tight.

I have not had one light come apart while riding. Also heat transfer is very good when assembled. No heating issues while riding and I've I have ridden for as long as 2.5hrs on high.

You can always use silver artic to give you piece of mind. All the best with your build.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Update:

I've been using the DNA LED optics for the last two wks and find that they do have somewhat a tighter and futher throw. But not by much. Comparing them with the original spot optics on the first page, I noticed that there is less spill in front of the bike. It's safe to say that this can be used for both a bar and helmet light. Less expensive option as well.

Sorry but the DNA LED optics will not fit the smaller build.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    This switch is rated to handle 3Ampers.

This switch is rated to handle 10Ampers.

Will any one of the two work? If so, which would be the better?
    Frozen Trails... err

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I was told that the rating isn't that important. So either one will do.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

3.04a driver

Hi Pucked Up. Great write up and thanks for the information. I just ordered the majority of these parts and am awaiting their arrival. I have a question in regards to the 3.04a driver you listed above. What modes did you configure this to use and are you happy with it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brackenb5 View Post
    Hi Pucked Up. Great write up and thanks for the information. I just ordered the majority of these parts and am awaiting their arrival. I have a question in regards to the 3.04a driver you listed above. What modes did you configure this to use and are you happy with it?
    I have one light with 2 modes (high/low) and another with 3 modes (low/mid/high) with memory. I like this driver a lot due to the memory that it has. No need to cycle through the different modes every time you turn your lights on.

With the DX driver, it was pushing out about 2.65 - 2.70A. The 2.8A driver from Fasttech was pushing about 2.75A. I haven't been able to measure what the 3.04 driver is pumping out yet. I don't really see a big difference in light out put between the three drivers.

Hopefully when my new LEDs XM-L2's arrives, I'll see a jump in light out put using the 3.04A drivers.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Bump.
    Any of you guys know a UK supplier of these alu parts.
    Can only find stainless steel on Ebay.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12