Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Wireless speedo interference?

Anyone else have interference with their wireless speedo using the DX drivers?
    I am using as a bars light, right next to my Cateye, and the on switch for the light might as well be an off switch for the cateye.
    Solutions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    interesting. I just wired up a xml maglite using this same driver - I've got a wireless Polar HRM/comp - I'll test it tonight to see if I have similar results.

Might have something to do with having that big toroidial inductor close to your speedo, although the aluminum housing should act as a magnetic shield just lie in hone theater speakers that are designed to be placed close to a tube-style TV.

mtbr member
    It doesn't affect my wireless HRM/GPS (Garmin), just the cateye. It is really close in proximity, but I have run a L&M Stella in exactly the same spot for years. Cateye is on the stem, light immeadiately to the left.
    Would grounding the negative to the case help at all?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

New question here. Clicky Switch

Since the switch from the OP is currently sold out, can you guys provide an alternative? (I'm making an order on DX, so if the alternative is available there, even better)

I've found 2, but I'm not sure whether they're suitable or not.

http: //dx.com//p/5604 (cannot post links - remove the space between http: and //)
    and
    http: //dx.com//p/122514 (cannot post links - remove the space between http: and //)

mtbr member
    I'm real happy with this inline switch.

Component - Switch: on-off switch with LED Indicator (1' long) with Male & Female Trail-Tech coaxis connector

Just use the Trailtech cables also available through them.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Judco switches and rubber boots work well for me.

Tube amp Switches

Hoffman amps is el34 here on the forum. I made a first order with him a couple of weeks ago and he is blazing fast with packing it up and shipping. The silicone wire he has for sale (by the foot) is QUEEN for working in small enclosures. I will definitely be going to el34 for switches, wire and mounts for any builds I do in the future. Top notch service!
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    Judco switches and rubber boots work well for me.

Tube amp Switches

Hoffman amps is el34 here on the forum. I made a first order with him a couple of weeks ago and he is blazing fast with packing it up and shipping. The silicone wire he has for sale (by the foot) is QUEEN for working in small enclosures. I will definitely be going to el34 for switches, wire and mounts for any builds I do in the future. Top notch service!
    2X.
    I also used the Judco/boot/silicone wire from them on a different project.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've seen that switch before in one of the earlier posts , but since I'm in Europe (Portugal), I'm searching for an alternative that allows me to save in shipping costs.
    Also, the inline switch is not ideal, because I want to make the switch like a remote on the handlebar, or on the helmet.

But thank you so much for your reply though!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FInixNOver View Post
    Since the switch from the OP is currently sold out, can you guys provide an alternative? (I'm making an order on DX, so if the alternative is available there, even better)

I've found 2, but I'm not sure whether they're suitable or not.

http: //dx.com//p/5604 (cannot post links - remove the space between http: and //)
    and
    http: //dx.com//p/122514 (cannot post links - remove the space between http: and //)
    Depending on the driver you choose, the switches above probably can't handle the current. Judcos are good. Alternately, you could search ebay for something waterproof and push on/push off (not momentary) rated to >3A. For example: 4pcs Waterproof Lock Push Switch 9V 12V 24V 36V 110V GA6L AY | eBay
    The study du jour: can one's reputation be artificially inflated by simply putting a request for rep in one's sig?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Well, not you got me! I didn't even pay attention to the current...

The driver in question is the alternative provided by Pucked Up (again, since the one in the OP is sold out).

About the switch itself... since the driver has 3 modes, shouldn't it be better to use a momentary switch, to cycle through the modes? (sorry about the noobness, but it's my first diy)

Actually i'm repairing an ebay MS copy, because the driver is not working.
    I've already tested the XM-L and the batteries, and since the driver is not like the one that came in the light (with the tailcap switch included), I'm taking the chance to make a remote switch, but still be able to cycle through the driver modes.

In the future, I plan to make a similar light to the one on this thread, however, the aluminum parts are proving difficult to get (being in Portugal and all ). Maybe I'll be able to get them machined in a lathe using aluminum rod, and in that case, dimensions for the parts would be highly appreciated.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    You need on-off with this driver. It goes [press]HIGH[press]OFF[press]LOW[press]OFF[press]STROBE[press]OFF.

A bit annoying, but at the low price, it'll do.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    It can be a bit annoying, but like you said, low price... and since this is only a repair job, it most definitely will do

All that being said, if someone is kind enough to provide a link to a switch (I know, I know, I should search myself, and a link has been provided above already)... but I'd like to use a low profile one, maybe something similar to the one presented in the OP, because I still haven't decided if I'm going to use this as an helmet light, and it would be easier to velcro a small flat switch to the helmet, instead of a tall round one.
    An ebay link or similar should suffice, or some keywords so I can search.

Sorry about hijacking the thread with these questions.
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Added most likely the last update for this which is a video of how the lights work on the trail. The update is on the very 1st post.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm sure this thread will become active again come Fall! I have not even done anything to mine. All I have is the driver! ;o/
    Cannondale Flash 1 Alloy (May 01 2013)
    Cube LTD Pro 2012 16" on it's way (Nov 25 2012 Ordered)

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Muscleflex View Post
    All I have is the driver! ;o/
    Hey that's a start!

For those that don't want to click back to the first post here's the video. Have fun night riding!

"By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The 14.8V 4 x 18650 is really blocky. The pic you have of the bag holding the batteries off the front would make my OCD flair. Could you help me locate a 14.8 box that is either 2 and 2 stacked(double stack), or just a straight column of 4 x 18650. I want a box that will strap down to the frame, or be of the right dimensions to fit in the gap of my 40mm rise handlebar. If the battery column/double stack is the right size, I could make a small velcro bag to go between the gap and fit snug. Otherwise, I will make the battery wire harness a bit longer so I can lay down a rubber pad on the frame and secure the box to the frame using velcro straps; or elastic hook straps, if I can find a size that would give me a snug fit to the frame. If we could find a double stack, I'd just affix it to the front of the steered shell using velcro tape and a velcro retention strap to snug it.

Also, if anyone is wanting to mask the wire harnesses, look into PC mods for nylon wire sleeving. You would than have the ability to make the wire harnesses any color you wanted and hide the red and black. I'm going to try and make my harness assembly all red. Will update with pictures when build is close to finish(week or more).

Edit: Pulled the trigger on the listed parts form DX, but it seems the Clicky Switch is sold out. Is there one of 'roughly' the same price and function as the CS from DX?

Edit2: Bike trip to Platt Electrical Supply for diode and driver housing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmark View Post
    The 14.8V 4 x 18650 is really blocky. The pic you have of the bag holding the batteries off the front would make my OCD flair. Could you help me locate a 14.8 box that is either 2 and 2 stacked(double stack), or just a straight column of 4 x 18650. I want a box that will strap down to the frame, or be of the right dimensions to fit in the gap of my 40mm rise handlebar. If the battery column/double stack is the right size, I could make a small velcro bag to go between the gap and fit snug. Otherwise, I will make the battery wire harness a bit longer so I can lay down a rubber pad on the frame and secure the box to the frame using velcro straps; or elastic hook straps, if I can find a size that would give me a snug fit to the frame. If we could find a double stack, I'd just affix it to the front of the steered shell using velcro tape and a velcro retention strap to snug it.

Also, if anyone is wanting to mask the wire harnesses, look into PC mods for nylon wire sleeving. You would than have the ability to make the wire harnesses any color you wanted and hide the red and black. I'm going to try and make my harness assembly all red. Will update with pictures when build is close to finish(week or more).

Edit: Pulled the trigger on the listed parts form DX, but it seems the Clicky Switch is sold out. Is there one of 'roughly' the same price and function as the CS from DX?

Edit2: Bike trip to Platt Electrical Supply for diode and driver housing.

Hey pdx,

I have not come across any 18650 holders that were cube 2x2 or straight column. If this is something that is important to you, then have a look at this from another thread. Some people here are using this as holders replacing the crappy batteries that came with it with quality ones. If I remember you'll need to use unprotected flat top 18650s. The thread i found this in can be found here. I do not know if it comes with a charger.

Or you can always get a bag that is to your liking. I was just re-cycling an old Nintendo DS pouch that I had. Besides no ones notices at night while you're riding.

As for the switches, any on/off switch should work. So you'll have to see which one you like from DX or any other sites you buy from.

All the best on your build and have fun riding at night.

Don't forget to post pics of your build when it's done.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    May 2005

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by find_bruce View Post
    That pack is 7.4V - I think PDX was after 14.8,
    Yes, he did state a 14.8V battery. If pdx is building something like this thread covers he likely would be better off with a 7.4V pack as long as his driver choice supports that voltage. Most drivers gain efficiency if the difference between Vin and Vout is lower.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the link to those batteries. Today I'm going to wander to a couple of hardware stores looking for the diode and driver housing. And, maybe, today I wont hit the concrete and skin myself up like yesterday after going to the tool store. My family gave me a gift card to Home Depot , I ended up only paying $10 out of my pocket for this torque wrench... So happy, needed an Inch-pounds wrench for ever!

Anyways, back on topic, my plan with this guide is to make this project as compact as possible, with any attached harnesses being as short as possible without creating steering issues, also making it so less wire can be caught up on whatever. I like the mag head idea and I have a lathe I can use to create a nice looking sink like roxtar made. Though, If my ADD makes me want it now, I may just do both; grab a maglite with a diode, mod that. Also get the electrical conduit and make that. I was thinking that a skinnier maglite head would make for a great low-profile helmet lite.

Obviously I'm in the gather parts and pre-production phase. When I start working on it, I may either do this as a video(probably not), but I will get photos of production time and end work.

You guys are great, I'm so glad I found this thread. Tinkering warms my heart; and on a nice winter day, this lite should warm my hands!

Edit: Still waiting on my order from DX. Finally figured out how their tracking system works, showed me my package has been opened twice by Chinese customs and has yet made it into the States. DX says it shipped on 8/21. Last opened by customs on 20130825 0007(lol, that's a date). Waiting patiently!
    Last edited by pdxmark; 08-29-2013 at 03:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Just received my Nitecore Intellicharger-i4(output 4.2v, 0.375A*4 / 1.48v, 0.75A*2) from Amazon. Now to keep waiting for my package from DX, last tracked; 8/26 at Shanghai Pudong International Airport; "action: NULL". So I'm going to assume it's on a plane head toward my house, or customs is still sitting on it!

Edit-9/5: My driver, batteries, wire harnesses and battery box showed up today around 2pm PST. Soldered a female connecter onto the battery box, made a male to female extension cable, now I just need to pick up the intermittent button, conduit pieces and red shrink, believe I have silicone.

-->Should I fully drain the 18650's before fully charging them?

Updates to follow, waiting to get camera back from brother.
    Last edited by pdxmark; 09-05-2013 at 08:26 PM.
    Frozen Trails... err

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hi pdx, there is no need to drain the 18650s, just charge them up and you're good to go.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks...

... All I need to get now is the housing. Not sure if I want to get the $26 dollar housing from LEDSupply, or just go with the homedepot electrical conduit and protect it from rain with red shrink. Don't know what I'll do, got to get paycheck.
    Frozen Trails... err

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Update Smaller XM-L2 Build!!

I know I said my last update would be the last, but, there is no point starting a new thread with this new info.

Do you guys wish this build could be a little lighter and smaller? I would also say easier, but this is about as easiest as it gets.

Well you're in luck! Cause meet XM-L's little cozin..."XM-L2"

They are about the same in length but the new body has a smaller diameter.

It weights less too!! I assuming it'll weight in at around 81g with driver, optics, emitter and wires in place.

I'm going to be using XM-L2 emitters on a 16mm board as the new heat sink will only be 17mm wide with AMC7135 3.0A driver on this new build.

Will I really see a difference in light output between a 2.8A and a 3.0A driver?

Anyways here is the info you'll need if you want the smaller body.
    Mainbody is 1/2 ALUMINUM CONDUIT COUPLING $5.00
    Optic holder is R-21 $1.83
    Heat sink is CUP-1 KILLARK 1/2" CLOSE-UP PLUG $1.60

To close up the back end, I'll use one of the sliding door thingy with a cable gland through it.

I'll add this new info to the first post also.
    "By Your Command"

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast