Crunchatize me Capn'

Uuuggghhh!!! L&M you're killin' me here...

I just got the my new L&M Stella N. I plug it in. The charger doesn't have an LED to indicate charging and when charging is done. Are you kidding me? Even my $15 Energizer charger and NiMH AA batteries has this. I don't understand why their Muti-Chem, or at least a NiMH only version of it, isn't included. I'm sure the light is fine but chargers like this you get on $20 cheapo cordless screwdrivers.

So, does anyone know where I can get a smart charger, fairly cheap, that will work? Yes, I know it technically voids the warranty but, after reading the manual, "whoops I left the battery pack plugged in" will kill the battery anyway.

Ugggg!!

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    I know it kind of sucks to buy something else, but you could go to your local hardware store and pick up a plug-in timer (the kind that plugs into the wall and then you plug your charger into). Set that for 12 hours, you charger turns off then, and call it done. I bet that would be a whole lot cheaper/less hassle than trying to retrofit a smart charger to the plug that L&M uses...

Good luck

Crunchatize me Capn'
    I didn't even think about the connector. Good point. The manual also suggests getting a timer. Really, though, is a decent charger to much to ask? Oh well. It just sucks having an additional expenditure that shouldn't, IMO, be necessary.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    L&M stuff is a little on the expensive side, but when it is made in the U.S.A., it is hard to compete with some of the lighting guys who do it all in asia. You just have to decide if that is important to you. The quality of the product is a nice benefit.

I hope the timer works out for you...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rode with a friend who was using a L&M. It has a surprisingly wide and bright beam for such a small light. Anyway, the 180 L has a smart charger and it looks like it has a LED readout. So I assume you have the Ni-MH battery light which charges though a trickle charger (8-10 hrs).

I think it is hard to smart charge those Ni-MH batteries and it may be that the Ni-MH version is their lower cost version too. I probably would not use another charger on that unless you are sure it will not ruin your battery. Trickle chargers are very safe.

Crunchatize me Capn'
    I do have the NiMH battery. I'm just out of luck with the charger, well, unless I want to pay $125 for their Multi-Chem charger. Uhhh, no. Decent quality drills and other power equipment have been using smart chargers for their NiMH battery packs for years. It's not exactly a new and untested invention. At any rate, I know I'm mostly whining and I did go with the Stella over the MiNewt X.2 because of the overall better quality control L&M is known for. I get to try it out tonight!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You will like it. It has a really good beam pattern for a light with just one LED. I personally would not worry too much about a smart charger for that light but keep an eye out on Ebay. I see why you would want one.

Dr Gadget is IN

Go big

Get a Maha C777+II Any voltage up to 14.8V, any chemistry but Pb. On sale for $69.97

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/mh-c777plus.htm

It comes with MHS-CW4 Clip-lead accessory for external charging adapter, but get a few more - this plugs into a socket in the back and can have the clips cut off and your cheese-O-matic charger plug attached in their place.

Does auto detect of voltage, easy to select discharge cycle to bring em back after the summer of forgetfulness, tells you how many mAhs were installed during the charge. Only drawback is max voltage, in case you NEED some serious V. I cheated that back in halogen/regulator days by getting two 9.6V packs - run in series, charge in parallel. There's a limit for how many mAh it will charge to, but its way up there.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant