My Rusty Knee

Using a mirror peak on a light to increase trail lumens

Has any one played with this idea? A lot of light just goes into the sky when you have the hot spot set 10m or so down the trail. With out a helmet light this light comes in handy to see branches etc...but with a helmet light...is it wasted shooting up in the air?

I've not seen any optics/reflectors that would provide this inhernetly. I have seen optics taht doa wide short beam.....this is what I am looking for. The width is fine, but more light could be reflected into the same area. bouning most of what goes in the air down could significantly increase trail lumens.

Or am I just going mad from sitting around for weeks recovering from my broken leg/knee hehe

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Ledil make a wide spot that is supposed to be oval in shape so less light is projected up and down and it creates and oval beam out to the sides...

My Rusty Knee
    Quote Originally Posted by wilso_ac
    Ledil make a wide spot that is supposed to be oval in shape so less light is projected up and down and it creates and oval beam out to the sides...
    I have seen those, they make a wide short beam. I am not trying to increase beam width further.

Its just a thought. Just wondered if anywone else has looked at this particular idea. If you airm the wasted light down in to what was the bottom half of the beam then you will have an apparently brighter light...or an LED can be ditched.

Stu

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart B
    I have seen those, they make a wide short beam. I am not trying to increase beam width further.

Its just a thought. Just wondered if anywone else has looked at this particular idea. If you airm the wasted light down in to what was the bottom half of the beam then you will have an apparently brighter light...or an LED can be ditched.

Stu
    Very interesting idea. I have noticed that a brushed aluminum lip on my dual CREE reflects light at 1/4 the brightness. A mirror would do much better at capturing the light headed vertically and redirect it to the ground.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    Very interesting idea. I have noticed that a brushed aluminum lip on my dual CREE reflects light at 1/4 the brightness. A mirror would do much better at capturing the light headed vertically and redirect it to the ground.
    Mirrors aren't actually that efficient. Light basically passes through glass twice to be reflected. Some mylar or just polished aluminum would be fine.
    www.mtbiker.ca

My Rides:
    FSR XC -R7 Platinum - SRAM X7 (26.5lbs)
    Cervelo SLC - SRAM Rival - Reynolds DV46T (16.25 lbs)

My Rusty Knee
    Quote Originally Posted by bbgobie
    Mirrors aren't actually that efficient. Light basically passes through glass twice to be reflected. Some mylar or just polished aluminum would be fine.
    probably worth avoiding glass mirror for safety reasons too. don't want broken glass kicking about if you crash.

Light freak
    This was kind of what I had in mind when I added the "visor" to achesalots' design

My Rusty Knee
    Quote Originally Posted by scar
    This was kind of what I had in mind when I added the "visor" to achesalots' design

cool. did you add/do anything to make it more reflective?

Stu

Light freak
    Haven't done anything yet except build the housing. Will probably just polish the underside of the visor with some Scotchbrite. Still trying to gather some parts.

My Rusty Knee
    ah ok....keep us informed

Stu

Enlightened
    Keep in mind that what bothers one person doesn't bother another as you read this.

I personally don't believe they are wasted lumens but really it's a personal preference. Lots of swoopy singletrack, suspended water vapour, reflection off eyewear, propensity to stand bike on end (like a trials rider landing), optic hotspots, psychoperceptual flashpoint, darkness accommodation rapidity, are all factors that can play into one's assessment of whether this light hood is a good idea.

Some like myself deliberately choose optics that go up in the air for ceiling bounce off the canopy... so yeah, diff strokes for diff folks.

My Rusty Knee
    Quote Originally Posted by mudmojo
    Keep in mind that what bothers one person doesn't bother another as you read this.

I personally don't believe they are wasted lumens but really it's a personal preference. Lots of swoopy singletrack, suspended water vapour, reflection off eyewear, propensity to stand bike on end (like a trials rider landing), optic hotspots, psychoperceptual flashpoint, darkness accommodation rapidity, are all factors that can play into one's assessment of whether this light hood is a good idea.

Some like myself deliberately choose optics that go up in the air for ceiling bounce off the canopy... so yeah, diff strokes for diff folks.
    fair points. I wanted to hear positive negatives if there were any (does that even make sense hehe)

I said in my first post when I suggested the idea that if I were to do this it was to be used with a helmet light. the helmet light wouldn't have this feature. the swoopyness, branches/canopy seeing where you are going to land on your head etc would be lit by the helmet light still.

The water vapour one is intersting.....a hood should help cut down glare....bit like not driving on main beams when its foggy. I know I have switched my helmet light off before to help when its misty/foggy.

Stu

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbgobie
    First surface mirrors -- where the light reflects off of the first surface and doesn't pass through the glass -- can be very efficient... they are also incredibly expensive.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    A lot of high end flash lights use a bezel that extends a fair way past the front of the lens. Mainly this is for decoration or to protect the lens from damage. A lot of designs allow the flash light to be stood on its end while turned on too.

I assume a nicely polished bezel would help reflect a little bit of light back where itís needed though. It would also stop us from being blinded when youíre over the bars pedalling out of the seat!

I do recall a discussion on CPF talking about various reflective sheets too, although they all seemed extremely expensive.

Dave

Enlightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Low_Rider
    It would also stop us from being blinded when youíre over the bars pedalling out of the seat!
    Yup I get blinded something fierce when I go up and over skinnied features when riding at night. Only do that on the features I know fully since it can be rather dangerous in that situation especially when not wearing full armour.