mtbr member

New question here. USB Port 1800lm CREE XML-T6 LED Bike - Need Power?

I just received this headlamp from China off Ebay and was looking to get the best - lightest - most powerful power source to plug into. All this light has is a standard USB 3 foot cable and came without any power source. I was told that any power bank should work but was looking for suggestions. Please let me know what might work best. Also, just need the light to go for 1-2 hours on a single ride from the power source. Please advise.

USB Port 1800lm CREE XML-T6 LED Bike

Features:

100% Brand New and High Quality.
    Specially designed with USB power port(5V),
    Perfect to be used with power bank (not included) so that you can totally get rid of the cumbersome battery carrying.
    CREE XML-T6 LED, maximum lumen up to 1800LM, ultra bright.
    Three Modes: High/Low/Strobe(by pressing the button).
    Durable aluminum alloy crust, abrasion resistance.
    Water resistant, can be used in rainy weather(but can not put it into water) .
    Equipped with rubber rings for easy installation.
    LED indicators.
    Suitable for cycling, climbing, fishing, hunting, camping and other outdoor activities.
    Specifications:
    Item Type: Bicycle light
    LED: CREE XML-T6
    LED Quantity: 1pcs
    Port: 1 x USB 2.0 male
    Working Voltage: 5V
    Working Currant: 2A
    Modes:
    High: 2000MA (Current)
    Low: 1500MA (Current)
    Strobe: 2000MA (Current)
    Lifespan: Approx. 100000 hrs
    Housing: Aluminum alloy
    Color: Black & silver
    USB Cable Length: Approx. 95cm
    Light Size: 5.3 cm x 4.3 cm(L x D)
    14 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!

mtbr member
    never heard of that before. Getting rid of the "cumbersome battery carrying" seems a bit pointless when the light doesn't work without it. Then it becomes "cumbersome dead weight carrying".

If you need a plug and play solution, there are stacks of 18650 powered battery banks/ power packs on Fasttech and eBay, both prebuilt units and empty shells that you can put your own cells into. Usually they're either 2 or 4 cells - more cells = longer runtime but more weight (generalising).

Personally, I'd drop the gimmicky USB connection (unlikely to be either waterproof or all that secure) and wire in a proper sealed cable to use with a proper sealed 3.7V battery pack.

A link to the light you bought would be useful too

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I saw this type of light before and wondered why anyone would buy them.

Here's a link to the same style of light
    $16.33 POLAR Cree XM-L U2 3-Mode 900-Lumen 6500K Bike Light / Headlamp - 10W / USB powered at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

At least it's cheap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    never heard of that before. Getting rid of the "cumbersome battery carrying" seems a bit pointless when the light doesn't work without it. Then it becomes "cumbersome dead weight carrying".

If you need a plug and play solution, there are stacks of 18650 powered battery banks/ power packs on Fasttech and eBay, both prebuilt units and empty shells that you can put your own cells into. Usually they're either 2 or 4 cells - more cells = longer runtime but more weight (generalising).

Personally, I'd drop the gimmicky USB connection (unlikely to be either waterproof or all that secure) and wire in a proper sealed cable to use with a proper sealed 3.7V battery pack.

A link to the light you bought would be useful too
    well I guess that the target of this light is quite small, personally I already own a verbatim 10'000 mah power bank, very light, I keep it in the bike saddle and I can connect 2 usb devices (probably more if I get a usb hub), I don't need the light on a daily basis since I don't use the bike to commute, it's a leisure road bike, hence the reason why a cheap light is enough, it's currently sold at around 13.50-16.00 USD with free shipping.
    The main thing I'm worried about is the waterproofness of the light, I'm pretty sure it's quite poor.
    But I guess that for 13 bucks I can't complain, the only way of getting a proper waterproof light is going for the brand names like knog, niterider, but that would set you back of at least 50 bucks.