mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Upgrading a Dinotte 5 ultra now possable

DOH!
    Why didn't I think of this before I ordered parts to build a new light from scratch. My build is basically going to be a knock off of it any how. A Dinotte 5 ultra is now obsolete and sells for around 99 bucks. Wire up a MC-E 2S 2P in place of the luxeon5 maybe swap out the optic and you would have a great light at a great price. A very easy 400 lumen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjay
    DOH!
    Why didn't I think of this before I ordered parts to build a new light from scratch. My build is basically going to be a knock off of it any how. A Dinotte 5 ultra is now obsolete and sells for around 99 bucks. Wire up a MC-E 2S 2P in place of the luxeon5 maybe swap out the optic and you would have a great light at a great price. A very easy 400 lumen.
    If you manage to pull that off let us know. I'm hoping that Dinotte will be offering an upgrade to the 200L when the MCE's become available. That is of course if there is no heat dissipation problem with the very small light engine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Don't think you'll get a MC E Quad LED in 1 personally, may be able to upgrade to 280L area if you really have to with a R2 or the new Small CREE.

mtbr member
    Also, I think that the LEDs in the Dinottes sit on a post, slightly elevated above the board, so I'm not sure one will fit for this reason also. And how will it run on 4 AAs?

Tim

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You'd have to keep the voltage and the MA's powering it the same sadly!!

Just buy 4 of them and stick all 4 on your helmet

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Am I missing somthing?

A single MC-E wired in 2S2P ought to be a direct replacement for a Luxeon V. I know its not a replacment for a luxeon 3 but I am not talking about that.
    I am talking about the old 5 watt dinotte that is said to use a Luxeion V here, Not a new 200L. Also not an old dinotte that uses the Luxeon III.

Taken from data sheets..
    Luxeon V
    Package,
    8mm diameter base, 5.86mm tall. 6.6mm hemispherical dome.
    The power connection leads stick out to a whopping 14.9mm and can be trimmed to 9mm
    vf :Minimum 5.43, Typical 6.84, Maximum 8.31
    700ma continuous current rating

MC-E Wired as 2 parallel strings of 2 dies in series, or 2S2P
    Package,
    7mm x 7.5mm base, 4.48.20mm height
    The 8 power connection leads stick out to 9mm.
    vf: per die @350ma is 3.2V typical, 3.9max vf as wired is 6.4 typical, 7.8max
    Current rating per die 700ma, current rating as wired is (700ma x 2) = 1400ma

This mean each die sees 700ma/2 =350ma acting as a direct replacement, so its under driven.
    By the way I could be mistaken but a Luxeon V sure looks like 4 luxeon I dies wired, you guessed it 2S2P. min vf vs max vf
    A luxeon V consumes 3.80 to 5.81watts at 700ma.
    A Cree MC-E as a replacement consumes 4.41 to 5.46watts at 700ma.

Other than having to change out the optic what is the problem. If i am correct dinotte even uses Carclo optics, and cutter has Carclo optics in a 20mm diameter. You might have to put a shim under the MC-E to raise it ~1.36mm but thats not too hard is it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjay
    A single MC-E wired in 2S2P ought to be a direct replacement for a Luxeon V. I know its not a replacment for a luxeon 3 but I am not talking about that.
    I am talking about the old 5 watt dinotte that is said to use a Luxeion V here, Not a new 200L. Also not an old dinotte that uses the Luxeon III.

Taken from data sheets..
    Luxeon V
    Package,
    8mm diameter base, 5.86mm tall. 6.6mm hemispherical dome.
    The power connection leads stick out to a whopping 14.9mm and can be trimmed to 9mm
    vf :Minimum 5.43, Typical 6.84, Maximum 8.31
    700ma continuous current rating

MC-E Wired as 2 parallel strings of 2 dies in series, or 2S2P
    Package,
    7mm x 7.5mm base, 4.48.20mm height
    The 8 power connection leads stick out to 9mm.
    vf: per die @350ma is 3.2V typical, 3.9max vf as wired is 6.4 typical, 7.8max
    Current rating per die 700ma, current rating as wired is (700ma x 2) = 1400ma

This mean each die sees 700ma/2 =350ma acting as a direct replacement, so its under driven.
    By the way I could be mistaken but a Luxeon V sure looks like 4 luxeon I dies wired, you guessed it 2S2P. min vf vs max vf
    A luxeon V consumes 3.80 to 5.81watts at 700ma.
    A Cree MC-E as a replacement consumes 4.41 to 5.46watts at 700ma.

Other than having to change out the optic what is the problem. If i am correct dinotte even uses Carclo optics, and cutter has Carclo optics in a 20mm diameter. You might have to put a shim under the MC-E to raise it ~1.36mm but thats not too hard is it.
    Okay, so the Ultra V can handle the 5.5watts..I see now why you think a 200L light engine wouldn't work, the Ultra five must use a completely different driver in order to output 6-7volts. ( of course I could be wrong about that..) Good news though if you own an old Ultra V. Have you tried to take apart the light engine yet. I was wondering if there is anything printed on the driver to indicate what type it is. It sure would be nice if Dinotte would provide tech. details for people who like to tinker. A question: What battery setup does the Ultra V use voltage wise? If you get the Ultra V to work with an MC-E you're going to earn some big bragging rights.

mtbr member
    This is a good idea. Once the LEDs are generally available I'll give it a shot, I just have to work out how wire it 2S 2P.

One of the drawbacks with the Dinotte V is that there aren't any readily available narrow optics for it. This should push out enough light for that to not be a problem.

Tim

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yes going from 120lumens to 430 for an M bin MC-E should be a substantial improvement. There are also lots of optics for the MC-E so you will not have to settle for a flood if you want a spot, 430 lumen's in this small package on the helmet would be great.

mtbr member
    Bikerjay, I am keen to see if I can do this. I assume I need to get a bare emitter and wire it 2s2p and still use the original board. Do you see any other way of getting the led mounted on dinotte's LED "shaft"?

Tim