mtbr member

Upgrade from XML T6 to XPG-2 triple?

Hey all, one of my first easy2LED lights was an XML T6 with the LED in the shallow end with a funny little Gaggione optic, and an L-flex in the deep end. It's pretty floody, and I use it for running.

I'm thinking of an upgrade using a triple XPG2 on copper, with a Carclo triple optic. I have a similar build with 1 XPE2 and 2 XPG2 on copper made for me by Matt, but that's a 1-off. It's been a great running light- I used it on a 100k Ultramarathon in the Alps.

I see the triple is available now:
    Noctigon 3XP MCPCB & CREE XP-G2 R5 3C LEDs [Noctigon 3XP R5 3C LED] - $16.82 : Led Flashlight-International Outdoor Store

Anybody have experience with a triple XPG-2 and Carclo narrow?
    With shipping etc it's about $25 a pop for LED and optic from Digikey. Worthwhile upgrade, or should I just build another XML2 with a medium optic in the deep end?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You can push those G2s to 2.5A without a problem, so that would be lots of light. Have a tripple myself and 10517 but haven't managed to put it together and compare it to XP-E. Beam should be between XP-G and XP-E. If you're not satisfied with it, you can always build another light with the tripple and sell it

I'm your density
    How would that Easy2LED housing perform in shedding heat at 2.5A?
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    I'd be running the 3 in parallel, so no more than 3A max I think using an l-flex or a Mobydrv.
    I could probably run them hotter, but I'm more about efficiency than max power.
    3A on the helmet, and add a bar light or 2 if need be.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Funnily enough I am thinking the same thing. I have the triple you linked to on its way & am about to fire off an order to cutter that will include some Carlco narrow (10507) and satu 9.

Only thing I still have to decide is the driver - I would prefer to wire it in series & to use my existing 2sXp batteries but not having any luck finding a suitable driver

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by find_bruce View Post
    Funnily enough I am thinking the same thing. I have the triple you linked to on its way & am about to fire off an order to cutter that will include some Carlco narrow (10507) and satu 9.

Only thing I still have to decide is the driver - I would prefer to wire it in series & to use my existing 2sXp batteries but not having any luck finding a suitable driver
    Want to share an order of optics?

I get your frustration with the driver issue- I had a lot of 2S batteries that only work on one of my lights now. I did rewire some into 1S2P config.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by find_bruce View Post
    TaskLED MaxFlex driver would be the way to go for that configuration. That's what I what I used in my build a few years ago and it works great.

Upgrade from XML T6 to XPG-2 triple?-dsc_0056.jpg

mtbr member
    Was it hard to squeeze the driver in there? Is it heat sinked?

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid

Re: Upgrade from XML T6 to XPG-2 triple?

Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    Was it hard to squeeze the driver in there? Is it heat sinked?
    Its a snug fit in the long end of that housing along with the momentary switch but very doable. maxFlex has a heatsink attachment area on the PCB that you use to bond it to the inside of the housing. Nice thing is it also has thermal management and can be programmed to throttle back when the light gets above a set temperature.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Don't know if my experience translates exactly, but after a bit of experimentation, I went with a medium carclo (lux-rc triple) for running in the woods. Since they tend to be pretty cheap, I'd get both.
    The study du jour: can one's reputation be artificially inflated by simply putting a request for rep in one's sig?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    Want to share an order of optics?
    I'd be happy to, not sure it is going to save you much money though as I am in Australia & I think you are an unarmed American with health insurance (my brother in law is Canadian). Looks like it would cost ~A$6.45 to post to Canada, unless I can sneak it within an under 50g "letter", in cwhich case it is A$2.50, but if that works for you, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    TaskLED MaxFlex driver would be the way to go for that configuration. That's what I what I used in my build a few years ago and it works great.
    Thanks. I hadn't considered a MaxFlex as I thought it was too big for easy2led housing, nice to hear that you can make it fit. The only downside is that it will nearly triple the cost of the build.

mtbr member
    Thanks mate, correct on both counts. Couldn't be further from Oz. Will go Digikey if I decide to.

mtbr member
    If your in Australia check out cutter they're taskled distributor. And sell carlco optics and leds on boards. I'm in the UK but still use them.
    Ignore this I misread the thread.
    Last edited by stuflo; 10-14-2013 at 02:52 PM.