Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

upgrade the NR HID to a Trinewt LED?

I've read the compelling reasons of the LEDs over the HIDs. I am thinking of upgrading from a NR Rage to a NR Trinewt for my handlebar.

Rage HID: 275 lumens and 830g
    Trinewt LED: 486 lumens and 519g

Is this a no-brainer? Is there any reason besides price to stick with the HID???

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

LED's

I would go for the LED, significant advantages in most areas over the HID, here is one thing to think about:

I am not very fond of the NR HID Beam (bad artifacts), but in general, the HID may have a wider beam than the Trinewt (I have no experience to back this statement up), but the reflecter dimensions usually dictate the flood width - and it may be the case that you will get more flood with the NR HID.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not sure about your specific HID since I have not owned it but the Trinewt has a pretty wide beam that I think you will like. Go to some websites to see the beam pattern. acidinmylegs.blogspot is one. That one is run by James at gearreview.

I'm a bit surprised that a HID only kicks out 275 lumens but regardless, the Trinewt will be a big improvement. As far as weight goes, it doesn't matter as much on the bar but we should be looking at the lighthead weight more than overall weight, especially if using a light helmet-mounted.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdan
    I've read the compelling reasons of the LEDs over the HIDs. I am thinking of upgrading from a NR Rage to a NR Trinewt for my handlebar.

Rage HID: 275 lumens and 830g
    Trinewt LED: 486 lumens and 519g

Is this a no-brainer? Is there any reason besides price to stick with the HID???
    Those lumen numbers suggest the LED light is 80% brighter than their HID. That just doesn't make sense to me.

Most HIDs are 500-600 lumens.

I think the Trinewt will be 30-40% brighter than your old light. Just an estimate.

For reference, here's a beam pattern of the Jet Lites blast (13 watt HID at 675 claimed lumens) and the Trinewt.

1) Jet Blast
    2) Niterider Trinewt

fc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    My friend just got a trinewt to replace his NR hid. It wasn't the rage though. But his is around the same brightness but he like the beam pattern of the trinewt and is the reason why he switched. The NR HID that he had was too spotty for his liking. He blew the orginal bulb and got a replacement from NR and it was more of a spot. If your NR HID is anything like the few different models that the people use in our group then the trinewt isn't going to be much brighter, just different (IMO better) beam pattern. But if it was up to me I wouldn't switch unless I could sell the old HID to make some of the money back or have a need to have a backup light. Other wise your paying $400 to upgrade and it isn't that much better of a upgrade in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

regulated?

correct me if im wrong but wouldn't the TriNewt be regulated and the NR HIDs not? So you should have a constant battery life with the LEDs.

mtbr member
    Look into some different HID's before you make the switch. If you do what you are thinking about, you'll be taking a step sideways. The trinewt is only rated roughly 100 lumens more than NR's HId's. NR is behind in the light "game" if you ask me. Keep looking. There are better lights for the same money or less.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Those lumen numbers suggest the LED light is 80% brighter than their HID. That just doesn't make sense to me.

I think the Trinewt will be 30-40% brighter than your old light. Just an estimate.

For reference, here's a beam pattern of the Jet Lites blast (13 watt HID at 675 claimed lumens) and the Trinewt.

1) Jet Blast
    2) Niterider Trinewt

fc
    I was surprised too, but here's the email from NiteRider:

Both the Rage and Enduro Lithium put out about 275 lumens.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Richie (NiteRider support)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nite Rider reps know very little about their products because almost every part of the process is farmed out. He may be right though that still seems like terribly low light output for a HID light.

The Dinotte 600L is of much higher quality and built in their own facilities in New Hampshire. They design these lights and manufacture them in-house. In that $350-$400 price range, it is a far better designed and more reliable option than the NR.

If you have to stick with NR, get the Trinewt over their other lights. Just keep in mind that for many riders, it is too heavy for the helmet if you ever decide to mount it there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Nite Rider reps know very little about their products because almost every part of the process is farmed out. He may be right though that still seems like terribly low light output for a HID light.

The Dinotte 600L is of much higher quality and built in their own facilities in New Hampshire. They design these lights and manufacture them in-house. In that $350-$400 price range, it is a far better designed and more reliable option than the NR.

If you have to stick with NR, get the Trinewt over their other lights. Just keep in mind that for many riders, it is too heavy for the helmet if you ever decide to mount it there.
    I'm also want a light-weight helmet light. So do you think the Dinotte 600L on the bar, and 200l on the helmet would be a good combo? I was planning on doing a Trinewt on the bar, and a L&M Stella 180-L on the helmet....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A 600L on the bar and a 200L on the helmet would be just fine. I would prefer the Stella on the helmet though with the 600L/200L combo, you can't go wrong.

I'd probably go 600L/Stella but I think you can save some decent money if you went 600L/200L, right? Maybe around $500 for both? In that case, I'd go with the two Dinottes unless you can find that Stella R on sale for $135 again

I prefer the Trinewt beam pattern for the bar but I'm willing to give up some width for better reliability and quality. When it comes to lights, reliability is probably the most important criteria along with adequate brightness. After that beam pattern and weight come into play, followed by the rest of the features generally found in nice lights.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You're right, I could get the 600L/200L combo for around $500. That may make more sense to go with the same company, and it seems like you're a fan of Dinotte. Do you know if all the stuff is interchangeable and upgradeable?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Their lights are upgradeable- you have to send them back to Dinotte (the lighthead). I think their chargers/batts are interchangeable as well but I'm not 100% sure. Current owners will know but you can always call Dinotte. Rob or someone else will pick up and they know a lot about lights.

While I do not own a Dinotte, I am a fan of their lights and while they are not my #1 choice (price no object choice) given all the lights out there, Dinottes are built extremely well and each LED runs independently. if one goes out, the others stay on.

At that price range, they are the best choice so far due to reliability, customer service, brightness, reach, local and knowledgeable reps, and solid build details. I like Lupine the best if money is no object. I like Dinotte the best as my value option. Exposure is another good choice but the track record on the new lights is still very short- practically non-existent. Their older versions were not that great.

Another one I like is BR lights. They are not bright enough yet and are a bit clunky (self-contained though) but they seem to be built like little tanks. While the helmet light is bulky and heavy, it also sits very low and weight is distributed over a wide area of the helmet. They are really tough little lights though and I expect them to become brighter (currently over 400 lumens max) and lighter (esp the helmet light).

I am dying to see the gearrview.com test because I think James probably has some of the lesser-known lights like BR Lights and Niteflux.

EIDT- Dinottes are still reasonably priced since they are consumer-direct. If they go through distributors and/or retailers again, the prices will probably go up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I pulled the trigger on the Dinotte 600L/200L package. What a deal for $499 out the door. I initially thought flood for the bars but the Dinotte guy (JP?) convinced me to try the standard (narrow) first. So I sold my HID on ebay and upgraded the bar light and got a new helmet light for a total of 800 lumens. I am so fired up! Thanks for all your advice!

mtbr member
    mtbdan
    Did you order direct from dinotte ?

mtbr member
    Good decision, I would definitely go with Dinotte over NR.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I pulled the trigger on the Dinotte 600L/200L package. What a deal for $499 out the door. I initially thought flood for the bars but the Dinotte guy (JP?) convinced me to try the standard (narrow) first. So I sold my HID on ebay and upgraded the bar light and got a new helmet light for a total of 800 lumens. I am so fired up! Thanks for all your advice!
    Nice- do let us know how you like the lights. Since you don't have a 2-4 LED light on the helmet, the narrower lens option will probably be the best option. That way you will have enough reach and the helmet light basically helps illuminate closer areas where you look- around corners, at charging mountain lions, rabid rats, etc. Well, hopefully not all that but around corners for sure.

If you find the beam to be too narrow, Dinote will switch out out for you but I think you will prefer the reach of the narrower beam.

The nicest thing about NR is that there are plenty of Ebayers ready to buy them

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I just got a Tri Newt and really like it. My other light is a Princeton Tech SB3. The Tri Newt is Brighter and I use it on the bars. I will use the SB3 on the helmet or as a loaner light.

The light head of the Tri Newt is a little heavy but is seems to be built like a tank. I mount the battery under my top tube so the switch is easy to access.

It seems like Flyer is a little anti Niterider, so I would take what he has to say regarding the Tri Newt with a grain of salt. The MTBR reviews on the Tri Newt seem to be very good. I also like the fact that Niterider is a major sponsor at so many 12 and 24 hour races. Also you can get the Tri Newt for well under $300 on ebay so I think it is a good buy.

It seems like LED's are going to kill the HID market.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not anti- Nite Ride; just anti inferior products. Take my opinion with a shot of Tequila as well but here is the scoop:

In the past 5-6 years that I have been interested in bike lights, I have talked to riders on the trail and more bike shops that I can count. I have seen and heard of more Nite Rider failure than any other light and more than all lights combined.

Granted, Nite Rider sell more lights than the others but the number of failing chargers and lights is too high and that is primarily because they do not build any of their own stuff. They design and then farm out to the lowest bidder. Do you know that the Trinewt already has had a batch of chargers recalled? If you don't you better check with Nite Rider and check your serial number.

On the bright side, NR always does a lot of grassroots support of the biking scene and are quite willing to send you a new light or charger is something goes wrong. teh problems is that things go wrong all too often and when it comes to lights, reliability is the most critical feature.

So yes, I am very wary of NR products but I am not anti the company. It's the same way I'm a bit wary of a carbon handlebar that has seen more than the usual # of failures in test samples (Ritchey, for example). NR's margins are so high that they can afford to do this. That's fine- buy them. I'll stick with and recommend Jet Lites, Light & Motion, Lupine, Dinotte, Turbocat, and others with a proven record of reliability.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Not anti- Nite Ride; just anti inferior products. Take my opinion with a shot of Tequila as well but here is the scoop:

In the past 5-6 years that I have been interested in bike lights, I have talked to riders on the trail and more bike shops that I can count. I have seen and heard of more Nite Rider failure than any other light and more than all lights combined.

Granted, Nite Rider sell more lights than the others but the number of failing chargers and lights is too high and that is primarily because they do not build any of their own stuff. They design and then farm out to the lowest bidder. Do you know that the Trinewt already has had a batch of chargers recalled? If you don't you better check with Nite Rider and check your serial number.

On the bright side, NR always does a lot of grassroots support of the biking scene and are quite willing to send you a new light or charger is something goes wrong. teh problems is that things go wrong all too often and when it comes to lights, reliability is the most critical feature.

So yes, I am very wary of NR products but I am not anti the company. It's the same way I'm a bit wary of a carbon handlebar that has seen more than the usual # of failures in test samples (Ritchey, for example). NR's margins are so high that they can afford to do this. That's fine- buy them. I'll stick with and recommend Jet Lites, Light & Motion, Lupine, Dinotte, Turbocat, and others with a proven record of reliability.
    I may end up eating my words BUT you recommend Dinotte very highly and you have never owned one. Who knows how they will end up holding up in the long run?
    Are you saying that Dinotte which is comparably priced desn't have high margins? Exactly what is Niterider margins compared to a company like Dinotte?

If I have a bad experience with my Tri Newt it will be posted, but till then I am very satisfied with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You may be just fine. Not all NRs end up having problems- just more than should be happening. I have not owned a Dinotte yet I do recommend them for the following reasons:

They are built extremely well- I have seen one in person and handled it though I do not own one. I chose to go with the Lupines.
    Dinotte has been building LED lights for three years with a ridiculously low number of problems. Geoman sold them for a while, as does REI and Performance/Nashbar does too. I have talked to them all, including the ones who sell NRs as well- and a lot of them.

They are built in Dinotte's own facilities in NH and they seem to put a lot of money and attention into the design rather than farming out the manufacturing with practically zero control over the product except during initial design and eventual redesign.
    The few times I called NR, the reps were clueless about the Trinewt. They did not know the weight of the lighthead, whether upgrades would ever be available, whether you would have to send it back for the upgrade or simply buy a new lighthead (one rep said a new lighthead would prob have to be purchased). I gave up after a few basic questions like these.
    The one time I called Dinotte resulted in a pleasant experience. The guy knew everything about the 600L and knew a ton about the competing lights. Even on this board, I am not the only one who knows about NR's track record. You will find plenty of other riders who think the same way. Back in Kansas City, I knew two teams who used NR HIDs and after two seasons of constant problems. They switched to Jet Lites (halogens) and had one bulb burnout and that was it. NR service was just fine but they did not want to deal with the lack of reliability.

So I have formed my opinions- both positive and negative not based on looks or weight or price but based on MY experience with NR user opinions, shop opinions, 24-hour racer opionions, seller opinions, and stuff that comes to me in dreams

Don't take it too seriously. Even a Honda Accord breaks down sometimes. It's just that a Sunfire breaks down more often. That doesn't stop many people from buying a cheaper Sunfire but it does me. I haven't owned a Toyota Land Cruiser or Highlander but know people who have and do and highly recommend them.

So at the end of the day, the Trinewt may be a good option for many but it's not good enough for me and I base that of years of NR "tracking" and trust me- I do this obsessively and ask for details when someone says something negative or positive. I know when someone is simply pushing what they sell when they see me as a customer. I don't simply walk in to a new shop and ask how good a light is when I know they sell that light.

My opinion isn't very well received by some since many shops sell a ton of Nite Riders and NRs are pretty popular. A couple of these are owned/run by friends but I call it as I see it and that's just how I am wired.

So many will be satisfied with their Trinewts. Oh, regarding margins- Dinotte's margins through retailers are less than half of the Trinewt's margins- closer to a third actually. I know the dealer cost on most products; not just lights.

EDIT- I'll refrain from commenting further- this post has been derailed already.

mtbr member
    My vote goes to LED.

I commuted with a Blowtorch HID for 14 months and burned out the bulb and the battery died. A replacement HID bulb is near $100 and the battery was $130, so I decided to ditch HID and go LED.

HID is gloriously bright, but the long term cost of ownership is expensive to replace the bulb and parts.
    I'd rather be riding my bike...

mtbr member

1) Jet Blast
    2) Niterider Trinewt

fc
    Hey Francois; please clarify the results of the comparison, between the Jet light and the TriNewt. If you're saying the Jet light is the top picture, then I say the it is brighter, sharper and offers a more intense beam; that's way more effective (for my style) and my needs. Not everyone's eyes work the same, but the second picture reminds me of the beam on my NR. Cyclone. Personally, I don't like the wide beam and soft, difuse light that many of the HID's produce; I'm not big on the way they turn the grass and green other stuff that weird bluish green color.

With my preference being a narrow, intense, brighter beam of light, which LED would be the best choice? when I talked with DiNotte, the owner told me he thought the 600L was too intense for trailriding; he also told me there are many variables to consider. I could tell he know a lot about lights; the challenge is to relate what you know about one product or another and be able to explain how it preforms on the trail.

For what it's worth, NiteRider has an upgrade policy too; their customer service has improved about 300% from what I understand. While some of the NR lights had defective switches or cables, there were more models of NR lights that have remained stable over time. For Example, I've had good luck with my Cyclone; it's worked right out of the box; still working great. I would only upgrade to an LED if it provided a marked improvement in visual/observable performance; the beam has got to be intense and sharp; a soft beam of light doesn't work for my eyes.

FWIW; I use the single beam MyNewt for commuting and it works great; the light is powerful in the dark. It gets washed out by bright lights, but in the dark, it's great. I'm not sure, but I get I could ride with it on the trail. one thing for sure, is I like the idea of having a wireless remote switch; I hate having the cord from the battery to my pack to contend with. Happy New Year to everyone.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle 1
    Hey Francois; please clarify the results of the comparison, between the Jet light and the TriNewt. If you're saying the Jet light is the top picture, then I say the it is brighter, sharper and offers a more intense beam; that's way more effective (for my style) and my needs. Not everyone's eyes work the same, but the second picture reminds me of the beam on my NR. Cyclone. Personally, I don't like the wide beam and soft, difuse light that many of the HID's produce; I'm not big on the way they turn the grass and green other stuff that weird bluish green color.

With my preference being a narrow, intense, brighter beam of light, which LED would be the best choice? when I talked with DiNotte, the owner told me he thought the 600L was too intense for trailriding; he also told me there are many variables to consider. I could tell he know a lot about lights; the challenge is to relate what you know about one product or another and be able to explain how it preforms on the trail.

For what it's worth, NiteRider has an upgrade policy too; their customer service has improved about 300% from what I understand. While some of the NR lights had defective switches or cables, there were more models of NR lights that have remained stable over time. For Example, I've had good luck with my Cyclone; it's worked right out of the box; still working great. I would only upgrade to an LED if it provided a marked improvement in visual/observable performance; the beam has got to be intense and sharp; a soft beam of light doesn't work for my eyes.

FWIW; I use the single beam MyNewt for commuting and it works great; the light is powerful in the dark. It gets washed out by bright lights, but in the dark, it's great. I'm not sure, but I get I could ride with it on the trail. one thing for sure, is I like the idea of having a wireless remote switch; I hate having the cord from the battery to my pack to contend with. Happy New Year to everyone.
    The Jet Lite is a 13 W HID and it's probably the best HID around. It is very comparable to the Trinewt. The Trinewt has a wider beam pattern and has a similar, intense middle spot.

The photo of the Trinewt is a bit out of focus so ignore the blur. I think either choice is fine. The Trinewt has all the LED advantages though if that matters to you.

Here is another beam pattern comparision between the two lights.
    1) Jet Lites HID
    2) Niterider Trinewt

fc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    The Jet Lite is a 13 W HID and it's probably the best HID around. It is very comparable to the Trinewt. The Trinewt has a wider beam pattern and has a similar, intense middle spot.

The photo of the Trinewt is a bit out of focus so ignore the blur. I think either choice is fine. The Trinewt has all the LED advantages though if that matters to you.

Here is another beam pattern comparision between the two lights.
    1) Jet Lites HID
    2) Niterider Trinewt

fc
    Ahhhh; as they say, the light comes on I see what you mean; the TriNewt has a wider beam and it is as sharp and bright as the HID; nice. thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast