Beemer2
    Dec 2005

upgrade Minewt X.2 light

I have a couple of these lights, one on the bars, one on the helmet, which impressed me two years ago but today seem a little dim. Has anyone tried replacing the led with something different? I love these lights, surely wish they had a little more output

mtbr member
    I've upgraded a friend's Minewt USB from a SSC P4 ?bin to a P4 U bin LED - easy to do but doesn't really make much difference. A P7 is possible, I think, but the current the Minewt driver provides wouldn't be enough to drive it properly. An XP-G on a 10mm star might fit - I can't remember off the top of my head how big the hole in the mounting board is (the minewt LED is soldered to a donut shaped board but the back of the LED sits on a post that pokes through the board).

Of all of them the XP-G is probably going to make the most difference, but the hardest to do. They only cost ~$8 though, so it wouldn't be a huge loss if it didn't and you could use the LED in another project

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have just glued a XM-L to the heat sink post in a Minewt, once the thermal epoxy has cured I'll be connecting it up to see how well the heatsink works.

Beemer2
    Dec 2005

Great!

Please let me know how this works out for you, are you doing a Minewt X2 by chance? Any help you could give me would truly be appreciated, I love the light I just need a little more output.

mtbr member
    I've done a few XM-L MiNewt upgrades. They're not difficult, but you need to be able to either reuse the LED board or dig out a couple of resistors for the voltage sensing yellow wire otherwise the light will not stay on

mtbr member
    eanan, I've reported your post for spamming. If you want to say something pertinent, please do, if not, stop making pointless posts on all the threads. thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had Niterider upgrade my x2 (150 Lumen) to a 200 lumen LED about 14 months ago. They quoted me 30.00, plus handling. I saved myself the handling, when I asked the niterider tech guys to do it at a 24hour race. They did it for the 30 bucks.

I recently emailed them to see if they would upgrade it to the 350 and was advised they could not. :-(

Best regards,

mtbr member
    that's nice to know. I'm guessing it was a P4 T bin> P4 U2 bin upgrade, which is pretty easy to do (just unsolder the existing LED and solder the new one in). I have an idea for a simple way to use the XM-L in the Minewt housing, but I have to wait for someone in my group to need it doing first. Rather than reuse the existing board (or bits of it), you just have to wire 2 1kO (or 1.2kO, I'd have to check) resistors between the + pad, yellow wire and - pad of the LED. That would get ~350-400lm for not much effort.