In the rear with the gear

Under $40 Commuter light recco?

I was wondering what people find as the best light for commuting under $40, battery powered of course. My main concern is seeing the road because some of the roads I ride to work in the morning and evening can get quite dark - no street lights what so ever.

The obvious answer is to get a light set and that will kill two birds with one stone, however, I was wondering if there is a product out there worth getting.

Tx
    Get some Cycle Snack!

Iron Horse MKIII
    Q Ball 29er
    Fetish Fixed-ation 69er

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    none! only if you are pushing your bike are they effective.

In the rear with the gear
    I was afraid of that.
    Get some Cycle Snack!

Iron Horse MKIII
    Q Ball 29er
    Fetish Fixed-ation 69er

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not for $40 at full price. i'm sure you can get some for $100 that will work well but $40 may be tough UNLESS you find something on Steepandcheap.com or backcountryoutlet.com (try this one). Sometimes, they have lights 40%-70% off.

weirdo
    A lot of folks will disagree here, but I got along with a little clip-on light for a few seasons worth of commuting. Short commute (about 3.5 mi each way), maybe half of it completely without streetlights. I used a little halogen Cateye that ran on 4 AAs and had a QR mount for my fork. It certainly wasn`t what I would have liked, but it did get me to work and back for about $30. Homebrew might be another option for you, or the ol Maglight and bungee cord routine. Whatever you end up doing, be sure to spring for a tail light too. You can get one for about $6.
    Recalculating....

Slothful dirt hippie
    If you're willing to crank your dollar limit up a bit you can get a really neato little light for $65... that would be the fenix L2D:

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_...a6f2f03405c367

Bang-for-buck wise it's hard to beat.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."