Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PRETENDURO

Two months later…

… my parts have finally arrived from DealExtreme. Over $200 worth of stuff. Order placed on November 12th 2010, supposedly shipped on November 21st. I called them on it back toward the end of December, and they claimed the items were stuck in customs. So guess what? Today, the items finally arrived. The postage date stamped on the outside of the package was not November 21st… wait for it… wait… wait… but the 12th of January 2011. I need to find a reputable seller of high-current LED drivers (AC and DC) as well as for high-output LED modules (20W+).

Just a rant. Share your horror stories here…*or something.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    yep, DX sucks, as does China Post. Then again postage is free and you get what you pay for I think they simply get overwhelmed by the Christmas rush as stuff I ordered before November took ~3wks or less. Moral there, for me at least, is don't order anything from China in November, December or January!

Light freak
    Yep! Just wait, there will be a flood of threads about people waiting on orders placed over the holidays. Chinese New Year is about to happen and that part of the country just shuts down for about a month.

mtbr member
    i`ve just got my order that was placed on 4th dec 2010
    6 / 7 weeks....
    dont bother me one bit, i didnt expect it to arrive within 3 days
    its coming from china, its christmas, road and rail transport is slower than a slow thing
    ..err why dont you split your order up??
    wont cost you anymore in shipping cost!
    i like DX and KD, .. no minimum order shite, and free shipping !!!
    thanks for listening!
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

help with the zip please
    Leopold I'm feeling your pain. Order placed about the same time as yours and I'm still waiting for some bits.

It definitely pays to chase them up about it and every time they give you some excuse chase some more.

This was my first order with them and I will probably order again, just not when I need stuff for a quick build

mtbr member
    I think that's the best approach - order with plenty of time, never around a busy time, and forget about it for a few weeks until you're pleasantly surprised when it turns up. Funnily enough, another order turned up today (22nd Nov) which I'd just filed a complaint about, so just one left.

I seriously recommend splitting orders - all of my small orders (bar the torch that just arrive, Happy Xmas to me!) have arrived far quicker. The only large orders I place are those where I'm getting the bulk buy discounts.

Ola
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    In November recieved som XPE's from DX...got I bit confused cause I hadn't ordered anything from them in a long time. Then I realized it was the rested items from a 2009 order that arrived...more than 1 year later:-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    DX is like a penguin - noble bird which won't fly til you kick it in the @$$ (:
    So, if my order "waits for supplyer" more than 3 weeks - I spam their support.
    It usually helps - average shipping time (from placing order to delivering it to my home) is 3-4 weeks (and I have to say that freakin' Russian Post works just a litlle better than chinese).

PRETENDURO
    Wow. I guess I’m not alone. Yeah, I wasn’t expecting lightning turaround times, but I was expecting receipt of the items at the end of December; being told the items had already shipped (essentially having been lied to ) is a serious no-no in my opinion. Either backlog me and tell me to wait, or ship my stuff when you say you are going to ship it—don’t lie to me! I’ve been buying components from DealExtreme since early 2008, and have only ever had one small issue.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

help with the zip please
    Leopold I don't necessarily think it's a case of being lied to. I wouldn't be surprised if the fault lay with China Post and your packet could "temporarily" misplaced at the very start of their system, ie before it got date stamped.

Both my original order, and then the replacement goods were posted with stuff on back order so I don't see why they would go to the effort of being dishonest about sending your stuff. My original order "left the exchange" and then about 5 or 6 weeks later it "left the exchange" a second time but the date stamp on it was from the first day it entered the CP system so things do get misplaced and put on the merry-go-round

mtbr member
    It always takes some time to have something done when DX is involved. It's ok., I knew that and even so I ordered there because the prices compensate for that.

But this time is probably the last time. I ordered on 1-1-2011 and today, it’s still "Waiting for Supplier". There are a few items in the order and some of them, a friend ordered after me and were already shipped to him. Mine are still waiting for supplier...

And off course, they just don't answer any ticket.

It’s like as if my order ( and my money ) disapeared from the face of earth.

www.hahntronix.com
    Leopold,

Split your orders up. If I'm ordering $100 of LEDs and 12 other items of lesser value, I submit 13 separate orders. DX has all too often held up a large order of mine waiting for a 50 cent item. Usually after 2 or 3 weeks they'll split the order up (or if you start deluging them with email complaints). But if they really have the rest of the order, they should just send it.

It has to cost DX more to deal with customers who do what I do. Maybe if enuff of us do it they'll wise up and come up with a better way of dealing with orders on hold.

For LEDs and drivers up to 1 amp take a look at: http://www.ledsupply.com/ (if you haven't run across them already). They always fill my orders quickly and since they are only a couple of states away from me I get parts a couple of days after I order them (shipping is usually just $5). Their prices aren't as good as DX, but their parts are much higher quality, in my expience.

As to a local source of high current drivers, I've never used georges80's stuff: http://www.taskled.com, but his PCB layouts look pretty good and he sounds like he knows his stuff (I'm an electrical engineer, so if he was speaking nonsense I'd call him on it). Other folks on this forum use his stuff. It isn't as cheap as the drivers from DX, but it certainly looks better designed.

Digikey is a pretty good source of LEDs, though they usually don't have a good selection of stars and pre-mounted LEDs. In small quantities they are a bit spendy. They do stock some interesting UL approved AC input LED drivers that can handle pretty high currents.

Or you can do what I do and design your own drivers. National semi has some pretty nice driver chips. The LM3401 and LM3409 use external mosfets to drive pretty high current loads.

Mark
    Nimium est melior!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    kaidomain seems to be a little better

Also, If you need your stuff in relatively soon just spend the extra $20 on postage EMS

help with the zip please
    @mattthemuppet, check your PM box please

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by mhahn@hvc.rr.com
    For LEDs and drivers up to 1 amp take a look at: http://www.ledsupply.com/ (if you haven't run across them already). They always fill my orders quickly and since they are only a couple of states away from me I get parts a couple of days after I order them (shipping is usually just $5). Their prices aren't as good as DX, but their parts are much higher quality, in my expience.
    I’ve been purchasing wired BuckPucks as well as Luxeon/CREE emitters from them for my lighting projects since 2007, however, I had the need for some multi-mode drivers and high-high-HIGH output (2,000+ lumen) emitters as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by mhahn@hvc.rr.com
    Or you can do what I do and design your own drivers. National semi has some pretty nice driver chips. The LM3401 and LM3409 use external mosfets to drive pretty high current loads.

Mark
    I would love to, but I, like a retarded moron, studied graphic design as my career path, not something practical like electrical engineering. I have a friend who keeps telling me, “yeah, all you need to do is microcontrollers. You just need some basic C++ code that everyone knows how to do”, but he keeps forgetting that he was the one who has the computer science degree, not me. I am not a programmer, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Leopold Porkstacker; 01-23-2011 at 07:46 PM.

mtbr member
    What email address you guys use to talk to DX? Is there any email or it's just the ticket system?

help with the zip please
    Just the ticket system as far as I know, and you can't open more than one ticket at a time on the same tracking number ie you have to wait until they respond to you before you can do anything else about it.

I will say from my limited experience it pays to hound, respond as soon as they do with their seemingly typical stalling tactics.

mtbr member
    yeah.. ticket was opened 17-01. No answer.
    I'm going to open a dispute at paypal.

tks emu

help with the zip please
    FYI its beginning to get close to Chinese New Year so I suspect this will be their slowest response time of the year

www.hahntronix.com
    Leopold,

Like a retarded moron, studied graphic design as my career path, not something practical like electrical engineering. I have a friend who keeps telling me, “yeah, all you need to do is microcontrollers. You just need some basic C++ code that everyone knows how to do”, but he keeps forgetting that he was the one who has the computer science degree, not me. I am not a programmer, unfortunately.
    The world needs graphic designers too, don't be so hard on yourself . Look at my web page sometime, it practically screams for the touch of a skilled graphic designer.

Do you need a buck driver for your LED light? What voltage input range? Could you live with one that's roughly 2 inches wide, 1 inch long and 1/2 inch high?

My driver uses an Atmel micro to provide low voltage warning, thermal management, and the user interface (2 or 3 light levels, with 2 of the 3 levels user programmable, optional flasher modes, etc.). I use an LM3409 and a really big mosfet to actually drive the LED.

You could get 2000 lumens from an SST-90 driven at 6.5 amps. My driver could probably survive that with lot's of heat sinking, and changing out a few components. Mouser Electronics stocks the SSR-90 (SST-90 on a very nice star, part number SSR-90-W65S-R11-GN100, see page 14 of datasheet for drawing of star).

To really get 2000 lumens from an SST-90 you will need a whole lot of heat sinking. Like a couple of pounds worth of aluminum fins. Is this for a bike light?

Anyway, if my driver would be useful, PM me.

Mark
    Nimium est melior!

mtbr member
    Guess what? I opened a dispute and receive the confirmation email from Paypal and an email from DX announcing a refund with a minute apart...

What do you think? It’s a robot or all the staff is busy dealing with paypal so they don’t have time to deal with the orders

Carbon8er
    I only order one item type per order.
    If I need 5 different parts, I create 5 orders.
    This seems to work way better, IMO.

help with the zip please
    Have just ordered an XML drop in, will let you know when it arrives

PRETENDURO
    Well, finally got a chance earlier this afternoon to test out all the components… they work, but most of them do not have the same specifications as advertised. Example: a claimed “1.7A” @ 26 - 32V driver is really ouputting at best 1.3A, and a rather expensive 50W rated supposed “3800 lumen” LED module (unable to test the lumen output claim yet) has the polarity indicator markings REVERSED on it. I know, I know, I should know better by now. Well, at least this sh¡t was cheap.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by El34
    I only order one item type per order.
    If I need 5 different parts, I create 5 orders.
    This seems to work way better, IMO.
    I am thinking that this must be the way to go with those clowns.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast