Thread: Turnigy battery

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Turnigy battery

Any benefit to using a Trunigy battery vs just running some 18650's like Trustfire's? I have several Trustfire set up 4S1P without protection, looking to build another pack. Currently using a 4 x 18650 holder from digikey

mtbr member
    the 4S Lipo packs are available in different capacitys
    and they are ready with a balance lead
    the main problem with 4 x 18650 in 4S, is if you need slightly higher capacity to get a longer burn time
    then you have to add another 4S in parallel .. 4S2P = 8cells
    of course the problem gets worse if like me you run 6S battery pack,
    so i run a 6S 3Ah Lipo
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

Rolling on 650b
    I started running a 5s 4000mah earlier this year after having problems with my 18650's. I wouldn't go back. Quick and easy charging with the hobbyking balance charger, no more taking cells out to charge, and its proven to be extremely reliable up to this point. I had many occasions on a ride where the self protection on a trustfire would shut the whole pack down, and I'd have to rely on a backup to get out of the woods. My current pack is a bit of overkill, but now I sometimes get two night rides in before I have to recharge. I'd say go for it! I also have a 4s1p 18650 pack I use for my helmet light, so far it has been o.k., but the moment it hiccups it'll be replaced with lipo.

mtbr member
    I use 4s 5000mah Turnigy lipos for my lights. Work great, easy to balance charge, no problems at all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hi

How do you get on with no low voltage cut off using the lipo packs?, i've got a few packs i could use and am interested in how others have got on.

cheers

stevext

Rolling on 650b
    I'm using a bflex, which has a programmable cut off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ahhh of course, cheers.

Pioneer
    could connect a volt meter to the balance plug to monitor the cells

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevext View Post
    Hi

How do you get on with no low voltage cut off using the lipo packs?, i've got a few packs i could use and am interested in how others have got on.

cheers

stevext
    And i'm using a maxflex which also has voltage monitoring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    So I just got my first Lipo battery pack. I have a bflex driver and the battery is 14.8 volts. From what I've read min voltage per cell is 3 volts? So with a four cell pack I should set the low voltage cut off at 12 volts? What are you guys setting your voltage cut off to on your flex drivers for your battery packs. Just want to make sure I don't discharge too far. Thanks!

Rolling on 650b
    I have my cutoff set at 3.2 v/cell, just for safety's sake.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just remember that a *flex driver is measuring the total pack voltage, which means it is possible for one cell to dip too low. It's not super likely with relatively evenly matched cells, but it is not nearly as good as a protection circuit monitoring each cell. Unless all of your cells are in parallel in which case it'll work great!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdy View Post
    So I just got my first Lipo battery pack. I have a bflex driver and the battery is 14.8 volts. From what I've read min voltage per cell is 3 volts? So with a four cell pack I should set the low voltage cut off at 12 volts? What are you guys setting your voltage cut off to on your flex drivers for your battery packs. Just want to make sure I don't discharge too far. Thanks!
    Try this test. Set your cutoff to 12V and run the light until it cuts off. Then with the light off measure the battery voltage. It will most likely be above 12V. How much above will vary based on current draw battery quality, cable length, and gage. You can factor in this static voltage in deciding where to set the final value. On lights I do with 4S batteries I usually set 11.6V. Oldest of those is now on 3 years of use and still going strong.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thank you! I'll start at 12v cut off and go from there. I just looked at a battery checker/balancer on Hobby Kings for $12. That would help take some of the guess work out of it and keep them balanced too. Guess I'll have to make another order.....:0)