Code Burr

Turbo Cat LED Cree upgrade

My turbo cat helmet mount was pretty lame compared to my cree homebrew. Even with a 12v upgrade NIMH 4800mah battery. So when I saw this on DX I couldnt resist = "3W Cree, Regulator, Reflector 1x18650 2xCR123A Module Set, 900mah, $11.95 , Takes both CR123A and 18650 batteries (accepted voltage: 3.6V ~ 9.0V)

- Cree P4 emitter
    - Orange-peel aluminum reflector cup for even and smooth beam
    - 900mAh regulator board installed beneath the emitter (3.6V ~ 9V input)"

I pulled the mr11 out of the TC, soldered in 2 wires to the back of the heat sink, then soldered the wires to the connectors. 10 minutes and a little liquid tape finished the job. Running on a 3.7v Li Ion the new light produced a super bright spot that was probably 2x as bright as the old 12v halogen without the yellow wash out. I think the li ion battery is probably 2 pounds lighter.

Just for comparison, I put this mod up against my Fenix p1d and its a bit brighter but it has a much bigger spot. I think the larger reflector in this kit really helps. I will be upgrading to a 7v batter and will post those results.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1447

For anyone out there using MR11's, this is an exact fit. If it fits in the super slim turbo cat it shoudl fit in your setup.

One Gear
    Did you try the light with the standard TC battery? I know that the Li Ion batteries are a lot lighter, but I was wondering if the existing ones would work?

Thanks!

Code Burr
    Quote Originally Posted by .40AET
    Did you try the light with the standard TC battery? I know that the Li Ion batteries are a lot lighter, but I was wondering if the existing ones would work?

Thanks!
    I've never used the turbocat battery. I bought the light mainly for the housing which was immediately upgraded to a 12v nimh 20w system. That still didnt put out enough light for me so I kept fiddling with it. I think the battery I received with the light was a 6v sealed lead acid . That battery would work just fine with this upgrade but it weighs about 3x what the 3.7v li ion does and lasts maybe half as long.
    t

One Gear
    Thanks, I ordered some Li Ion batteries and the new Crees to start the changeover. Lugging the macho battery around has always been a PITA.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Can you post a picture of the TC light with this module installed? I have two trailguides that is a great candidate for this upgrade. Beam shots please too. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I went to the CX website and read the reviews. Iwouldn't recommend this to anyone. If it's assembled with hotglue it's going to fail.