mtbr member

Troutie, are you ok?

just checking to see if you're ok as we've all been missing you for a while!

Light freak
    Been wondering where he has been myself.

more carbon=more awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    just checking to see if you're ok as we've all been missing you for a while!
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    Been wondering where he has been myself.

My thoughts exactly!
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

mtbr member
    Hi Guys
    I am fine thank you

I have had some illness over the winter but am back in good health now
    I seem to have misslaid my led mojo at the moment and have been off the forums for a good number of weeks looks like I have some catching up to do .

I have been satisfying my tinkerlust with making all grain beer

and also got me a Fat bike but a bit late for the snow

I have been immensely busy in the day job of late but that is easing now so will have a trawl here and see what you lot have been upto these last few months

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb View Post
    Hi Guys
    I am fine thank you

I have had some illness over the winter but am back in good health now
    I seem to have misslaid my led mojo at the moment and have been off the forums for a good number of weeks looks like I have some catching up to do .

I have been satisfying my tinkerlust with making all grain beer

and also got me a Fat bike but a bit late for the snow

I have been immensely busy in the day job of late but that is easing now so will have a trawl here and see what you lot have been upto these last few months
    Looking forward to seeing you in the Fat Biking sub-forum section!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Glad to here you all well now.

I though it was an ano setup you had going but making beer is a far better idea far more rewarding to the pallet.

Your dark ale looks quite tasty with a nice frothy head on it.

mtbr member
    Have abandoned the anodizing as have a cheap source nearby

much prefer tinkering with brewing stuff and reaping the rewards later

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Looks good. Is it one of those warm beers?

mtbr member

Got into this 6 months and 7kg ago
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    great to see you back Troutie, I know most Yorkshiremen tend to hibernate with their stash of pies over winter. Neat beer making set up, I hope it's LED illuminated?

As a quick summary:

the machining bar is being raised ever further out of reach
    LEDs are getting bigger and brighter
    direct-to-copper mounting is catching on
    emu's avatars are becoming dangerously distracting

I think that's about it

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Are you selling any lights at the moment, or is that on the back-burner whilst the beer thing takes precedence?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewDrummond View Post
    Are you selling any lights at the moment, or is that on the back-burner whilst the beer thing takes precedence?
    Still selling lights Andrew just not as many China has goosed the bespoke light trade.
    Mojo returning as well as health .

Brad. not warm but not so cold you cant taste owt.

Matt
    will have to have a good study whats going on

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post

Got into this 6 months and 7kg ago
    Your not supposed to eat the grain too
    what have you brewed so far ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    too late - I have bought some Glowworms - from another thread on singletrack, this one and no response to an email I sent you last week it looked unlikely that you still were.

mtbr member
    Your not supposed to eat the grain too
    what have you brewed so far ?
    I'm doing stove top BIAB 10L batches, have done 25 brews since August.
    Not quite as tidy as your setup but works well. Switched to all grain pretty quickly. Even got Mrs Z making ginger beer.

Couple of misses, a dunkelweizen that was kinda funky and a choc chilli porter where I overdid the chilli.

Put down a Black IPA tonight, probably my favourite brew. Trying to get into the smaller beers to reduce the waistline, made a nice 3% Blonde last month.

We have some really great hops here too. Years ago I was cycle touring through Motueka, wondering what the hell was growing on those vines that were everywhere! Now I know.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

rbs
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Have abandoned the anodizing as have a cheap source nearby

So Chris, are you out then? I'd love to replace the Liberator that I lost.

Several of the guys I ride with have your lights, and none of us have had any response at all over the last two months.

Rob

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If you read this Troutie... I sent you a few emails about buying some of your old surplus led stock. If you need some beer money just let me know. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    If you are ok Troutie, pls send me my battery! X-post from lights and night-riding: Troutie lights, buyer beware?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Giel View Post
    If you are ok Troutie, pls send me my battery! X-post from lights and night-riding: Troutie lights, buyer beware?
    OK long story short
    Battery arrived here was repaired and sent back but did not arrive
    Micheal contacted me before a race he was doing so another battery was sent and I heard no more about it .
    until this week when I have just returned from a holiday and had this letter in my mail

not been on here for a while and just logged on this morning and saw this post

I am now at a loss as to how to send a replacement battery to holland as I am now 1 battery down and dont want to lose another

Rep Power Infinity +2
    I recently sent some sony camera batteries back for repair and had to put a big dangerous goods decleration on the parcel. These were send via courier mind you and not post.

Seems pretty crap that your parcel was destroyed with no opportunity to collect or have a courier collect.

rbs
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    When I first heard about your battery woes (and mtbbatteries.co.uk), I did some research on the rules and how they've changed (as of Jan 01-2013).

It looks like you should be able to meet the Royal Mail requirements if the lithium content is below a certain threshold and a dangerous goods label is affixed.

Restrictions that apply to items posted with Royal Mail. | Royal Mail Group Ltd

I think this is the relevant section:
    Batteries - lithium metal/alloy batteries sent with, but not connected to, an electronic device

The maximum number of batteries allowed in each package is the minimum number required to power the equipment plus two spares. The maximum net quantity of cells or batteries is 5kg per package. The lithium content must not be more than 1g per cell or 2g per battery. Each cell and battery must be of a type proven to meet the requirements of each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, section 38.3. Batteries are subject to these tests irrespective of whether the cells of which they are composed have been so tested.

Cells and batteries must be manufactured under a quality management programme as specified in the International Civil Aviation Organizationís Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air. Cells or batteries that are defective for safety reasons, or that have been damaged, are forbidden. Any person preparing or offering cells or batteries with or in equipment for transport must receive adequate instruction on the requirements commensurate with their responsibilities.

The consignment must be accompanied with a document with an indication that the package contains lithium metal cells or batteries; that the package must be handled with care and that a flammability hazard exists if the package is damaged; that special procedures must be followed in the event the package is damaged, to include inspection and repacking if necessary; and also a telephone number for additional information. Cells and batteries must be packed in inner packagings that completely enclose the cell or battery. Cells and batteries must be protected against short circuit, including protection against contact with conductive materials within the same packaging that could lead to a short circuit. The equipment sent with cells or batteries must be packed in strong rigid packaging and must be secured against movement within the outer packaging and packed to prevent accidental activation.

Lithium battery handling label to be applied ( see an example lithium battery label Opens in new window ). The senderís name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

Lithium metal/alloy batteries sent in isolation are prohibited. Please see Prohibited goods ? items you can?t send through the post. | Royal Mail Group Ltd
    I think you could meet those restrictions with the battery handling label applied. Worth a call to Royal Mail's customer service to find out.

I suppose another option would be to supply lights directly, but have batteries drop-shipped from a seller who can meet the labelling and handling requirements.

Rob

rbs
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Of course, after all that, Chris was asking about sending batteries alone - that doesn't seem to be covered at all on Royal Mail's site.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Seems all those Chinese lights come in to the UK ok, so they're not worried at their end. Just the rules going out. A pain for UK suppliers.

If it's sending to somewhere in Europe, is there a by sea option?