mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Trouble picking out switch for DIY Dinotte.

I am having trouble picking out a switch for a DIY Dinotte. I am not sure if I will be using a door stop, or bar end plug to mount the switch in.

Also the driver I will be using has a high, medium, low, and flash mode. Do I need a momentary on switch, and if so, what type?

What I would like to have is a small rubber coated push button. The ones I have found are too big though.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by e39-540i
    I am having trouble picking out a switch for a DIY Dinotte. I am not sure if I will be using a door stop, or bar end plug to mount the switch in.

Also the driver I will be using has a high, medium, low, and flash mode. Do I need a momentary on switch, and if so, what type?

What I would like to have is a small rubber coated push button. The ones I have found are too big though.

Thanks

Welcome to the frustrating world of switch and connector hunting and if you find the switch of your dreams please share it with us all .
    the Apem and ITW IP 67 switches are ace but large
    we need a quarter scale version .

alternativly you could make your own from a tactile micro switch and a bit of innertube

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Exactly! The IP67 is just what I want, but I think it may be too big for the endplug...??

I havent even started thinking about connectors yet. I was going to go with the same type as NiteRider, but maybe I should get something different so I dont accidentaly plug the wrong battery in.

Lets RIDE!
    On the switch, momentary is what you want....the "normally open" type. You could use a cheap and small tact switch from RadioShack, covered with a rubber membrane. But there's not much room on the back of those DIY Dinottes, especially if your power cord is coming out there too. You could also put the switch over by your thumb like this one, solving the space problem. It looks like a large tact switch in clear heat-shrink?

For connectors, I really like these Deans copies from DX. While not a true locking connector, they have never come apart accidentally for me, and are polarized. And cheap, which is how I build

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    That IP67 switch will work fine in the DIY dinottoe in the end plug, however you will not be able to have the cord exit from the back - it will have to exit out of the side of the housing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Switch

Boot

Or if you have a thicker housing: Boot

Option 2: Switch (~17mm diameter IP 67)

Members who have read this thread: 0